Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

250 AMP Alternator with a 3.2L SC Engine?
Forum Index -> Porsche - 911/912/914 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
mraible
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 21, 2016 4:18 am    Post subject: 250 AMP Alternator with a 3.2L SC Engine? Reply with quote

Hello all,

I have a 1966 VW Bus with a Porsche 3.2 SC Engine in it. I’ve only had it finished for a few months, but I’ve had a blast driving it. Next month, I hope to install a stereo in my bus that draws 240 amps at high volume (120 amps at low). My stereo installer is recommending I get an AMP that can put out 250 amps. Do you know if Porsche makes an alternator that big? If so, can you recommend one for this engine?

My installer said a bigger alternator might draw away from the horsepower. Do you know how much it might draw and if there’s a way to get that HP back (e.g. bigger carbs)?

Thanks,

Matt
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Facebook Twitter Gallery Classifieds Feedback
raygreenwood
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 21, 2016 9:32 am    Post subject: Re: 250 AMP Alternator with a 3.2L SC Engine? Reply with quote

mraible wrote:
Hello all,

I have a 1966 VW Bus with a Porsche 3.2 SC Engine in it. I’ve only had it finished for a few months, but I’ve had a blast driving it. Next month, I hope to install a stereo in my bus that draws 240 amps at high volume (120 amps at low). My stereo installer is recommending I get an AMP that can put out 250 amps. Do you know if Porsche makes an alternator that big? If so, can you recommend one for this engine?

My installer said a bigger alternator might draw away from the horsepower. Do you know how much it might draw and if there’s a way to get that HP back (e.g. bigger carbs)?

Thanks,

Matt

Are you sure you don't mean WATTS?.... Shocked .......most large diesel rigs dont have over 140 amps......

Now.....unless this is one of the stero systems that uses upwards of 1000 watts.....for "Dba drag racing".....as its called (who has the loudest wall of sound.....contests).

In that case.....yes there are a couple of companies that make alternators just for that. I wi drop ij a link in a few. Ray
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
mraible
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 21, 2016 9:34 am    Post subject: Re: 250 AMP Alternator with a 3.2L SC Engine? Reply with quote

Yep, I'm sure I don't mean watts. Output is expected to be 2400 watts total. I like to feel my music. Wink
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Facebook Twitter Gallery Classifieds Feedback
AtLeeb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 26, 2016 12:35 pm    Post subject: Re: 250 AMP Alternator with a 3.2L SC Engine? Reply with quote

You may have already found a solution to this, but if you haven't, I'd do a little more research on the how your electrical system can support your planned stereo gear. E.g.:
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B004LQ1QSY/ref=o...PDKIKX0DER

Multiple HD batteries wired in parallel may be a viable alternative. You've got a Transporter so you have the room.

As for the alternator in your 3.2 engine, there might be a larger capacity, non-factory unit that can fit into the fan housing area.

Less complicated: Source the correct alternator and mount it externally using a modified A/C compressor bracket or other custom bracket. As for the bearing support for the factory fan, use the factory alt. housing w/o the rotor and field windings.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Porsche - 911/912/914 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: