Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

What Brands Make The Best Quality Points Ignition Components?
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
raygreenwood
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 24, 2016 3:56 pm    Post subject: Re: What Brands Make The Best Quality Points Ignition Components? Reply with quote

67rustavenger wrote:
Quote:
So not to get too geeky on you….but since you guys brought up points (always been very interested)

Wow Ray. Very informative. Thanks for the write up.
I recently bought a set of points from the flaps.
Complete junk. I had to hand tune them before I could even bring myself to install them. I can't remember the brand, but based on the thorough information that you have posted. Next time I need to replace them. I'll see if I can get a better quality set from Napa.
Thanks again.

Thanks! I am hoping others will post pictures and specs and feedback from other points brands and part #'s as well.

For good basic points....Bosch is hard to beat. Its a really good design.

But with variations in quality and less availability...its only smart to to take stock of whats available. Ray
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
modok
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 24, 2016 4:09 pm    Post subject: Re: What Brands Make The Best Quality Points Ignition Components? Reply with quote

Thanks for that. I'm afraid I just haven't paid much attention to which brand is which, and I rarely bought any, as the engines and cars I bought over time tended to yield large supplies of new and used bosche points. Soon I'd like to do a test of which models have the least float. Current handling is no longer a concern Wink
raygreenwood
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 24, 2016 6:28 pm    Post subject: Re: What Brands Make The Best Quality Points Ignition Components? Reply with quote

modok wrote:
Thanks for that. I'm afraid I just haven't paid much attention to which brand is which, and I rarely bought any, as the engines and cars I bought over time tended to yield large supplies of new and used bosche points. Soon I'd like to do a test of which models have the least float. Current handling is no longer a concern Wink

Ah...so you are just doing triggering as well?....that iw where I am going. I was rigging up a scale to measure the spring tension on the points I have.

I am betting the Blue streak are the best for float prevention. Serious spring pressure. ...and to keep that spring pressure from wearing out the rubbing block....they made it wider to spread the load.

The basic bosch rubbing block is .240" wide and the Bluestreak and SMP "T" series are .400" wide.

Ray
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
modok
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 24, 2016 7:17 pm    Post subject: Re: What Brands Make The Best Quality Points Ignition Components? Reply with quote

Yes, using a tfi module to handle the current, three years now.
Wish I had investigated the bounce when I had the chance, but lets say it will be a winter project. I want to recreate my bench testing setup with oscilloscope, tach, drill to drive distributor, variable coil load, ect, and try different points sets, different gap setting, and try lightening the points and see what happens. Only one way to find out!!
Sirius_Doctor
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 25, 2016 12:03 pm    Post subject: Re: What Brands Make The Best Quality Points Ignition Components? Reply with quote

Are there any thoughts on condensers for the 412? I purchased a new condenser from Auto Atlanta. Unfortunately the 'short' wire was not long enough to mount it on the proper side of the distributor. Although I made it work, the condenser failed in about 3 months. It is Bosch branded and made in Turkey. I have never had a condenser fail, much less in 3 months. Is anyone aware of OEM quality condensers with the proper length short wire made for the 412 stock distributor?
Fred Winterburn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 25, 2016 1:56 pm    Post subject: Re: What Brands Make The Best Quality Points Ignition Components? Reply with quote

I really don't think that the small amount that points bounce affects the overall dwell, matters much with a low revving 4 cylinder. Assuming the TFI module has no protection against points bounce, it shouldn't matter. If there is dwell extension with the TFI (is there?) then it might affect the dwell extension circuitry without bounce protection. Either way, since the coil has to take some time to saturate, the small amount of energy lost when the points open on the bounce won't result in a spurious spark and the only loss of energy is that brief moment while the points are bouncing. Sure it gets worse with rpm, but only at very high rpm, will it start to be a significant portion of the available dwell. I can't see it being a problem at normal redline on a VW. Maybe on a race engine with higher rpm potential.
I think too that most people do not seem to know that there is a difference between points bounce and points float. Points bounce starts right at idle and if you think about it, there is no damping mechanism for the spring, so of course they will bounce open at least once on closure. A stiffer spring will help but it won't prevent it. With a CD ignition triggered by points, it is imperative that there is points bounce protection built into the trigger circuit, because otherwise there will be unwanted sparks every time the points open on the bounce (since the energy for the spark regenerates itself very quickly by the CD power supply for one, and secondly the discharge capacitor is charging even when the points are open once the spark event is over).
Points float is another animal and only occurs at extremely high rpm. You probably can't reach points float on a 4 cylinder even with a standard spring. Points float results in a very damaging floating of the points under very high rpm such that they might not even close every time, and the timing becomes quite erratic. It puts a huge strain on the moving arm of the points and I've broken a couple of sets on the test rig when I let it rev to over 12 thousand rpm with the 8 cylinder Ford distributor. To recommend blue streak as Ray has, is good if you can find an old set. I don't think they are manufactured anymore. I have a set of those in the test rig right now and I haven't been able to break them. The moving arm is designed better and is stronger and lighter than the cheapo sets I was using. Putting it in perspective though, in real life nobody would be revving that high. Fred

modok wrote:
Yes, using a tfi module to handle the current, three years now.
Wish I had investigated the bounce when I had the chance, but lets say it will be a winter project. I want to recreate my bench testing setup with oscilloscope, tach, drill to drive distributor, variable coil load, ect, and try different points sets, different gap setting, and try lightening the points and see what happens. Only one way to find out!!
raygreenwood
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 25, 2016 2:06 pm    Post subject: Re: What Brands Make The Best Quality Points Ignition Components? Reply with quote

Sirius_Doctor wrote:
Are there any thoughts on condensers for the 412? I purchased a new condenser from Auto Atlanta. Unfortunately the 'short' wire was not long enough to mount it on the proper side of the distributor. Although I made it work, the condenser failed in about 3 months. It is Bosch branded and made in Turkey. I have never had a condenser fail, much less in 3 months. Is anyone aware of OEM quality condensers with the proper length short wire made for the 412 stock distributor?

Getting the correct condenser to fit a 411/412 with factory fuel injection has been an issue since about the early 90's.

The big problem is the sheer number of condenser part #'s and distributors. And the fact that through the 80's and 90's most parts houses/books thought that the type 4 was a version of the type 3.

Distributors and condensers for 411/412:

(1) Distributor: ----021 905 205--engine code V (early 411) Condenser--021 905 205

(2) Distributor: ----021 905 205 B--engine code V (early 411) Condenser---021 905 205

(3) Distributor: ---- 021 905 205 A---Engine code Z (early 411) Condenser---311 905 205 B

(4) Distributor: ---- 021 905 205 C---Engine code Z (early 411) Condenser---311 905 205 B

(5) Distributor: ---- 022 905 205 A---Engine code W (early and mid 411) Condenser---311 905 205 B

(6) Distributor: ---- 022 905 205 F---Engine code W and EA (mid and late 411/early 412) Condenser---311 905 205 B

(7) Distributor: ---- 022 905 205 H---Engine code W (mid and late 411 and M553-Taxicab) Condenser---311 905 205 B

(Cool Distributor: ---- 022 905 205 K---Engine code W and (mid and late 411) Condenser---022 905 205 A

(9) Distributor: ---- 022 905 205 L---Engine code Z ( late 411) Condenser---022 905 205 A

(10) Distributor: ---- 022 905 205 P---Engine code EA and EB (mid and late 411/early and late 412) Condenser---113 905 295 C. Also for M157 (California with EGR and carbon canister) and M553-Taxicab

Ray
modok
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 25, 2016 5:05 pm    Post subject: Re: What Brands Make The Best Quality Points Ignition Components? Reply with quote

Fred Winterburn wrote:
I really don't think that the small amount that points bounce affects the overall dwell, matters much with a low revving 4 cylinder. Assuming the TFI module has no protection against points bounce, it shouldn't matter.

at arpund 5500 rpm I observed the points bounce grew large enough to trigger the module, while not long enough to actually fire the plug, it was a significant interruption of dwell, clearly visible.
A somewhere past 6000 rpm it was actually double firing, although still with more power per shot than a blue coil at that rpm
raygreenwood
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 25, 2016 5:42 pm    Post subject: Re: What Brands Make The Best Quality Points Ignition Components? Reply with quote

modok wrote:
Fred Winterburn wrote:
I really don't think that the small amount that points bounce affects the overall dwell, matters much with a low revving 4 cylinder. Assuming the TFI module has no protection against points bounce, it shouldn't matter.

at arpund 5500 rpm I observed the points bounce grew large enough to trigger the module, while not long enough to actually fire the plug, it was a significant interruption of dwell, clearly visible.
A somewhere past 6000 rpm it was actually double firing, although still with more power per shot than a blue coil at that rpm

Agree....yes it does. .....and some of this .....much of this....depends on how sensitive your engine is ....that you might even notice the disturbance of points bounce.

I have seen it as low as 4500 rpm. I know thats what it was. I know this because I have seen with all new tune up parts.....misfires above 4200 on my 412 aright before shift points. This was with a known inferior points set. They were brand new.....old school early 90's wells from auto zone. It was all I had.
Brand new....parallel and perfect electrodes.....but spring pressure noticably lighter than stock Bosch 01011. Gaps set perfect....dwell set perfect...timing perfect...advance perfect. 42kv pertronix coil so it wasn't fall off.

Pulled the points. ...no burns...perfect.

Waited two days for Bosch 009 tiger stripes to come in and installed. Set dwell and gap....problem gone....stiffer spring.

This is most noticeable for instance on ANY MAP controlled injection system because a few missfires....or any misfire. ... causes a cascade that spans several firing cycles causing powerloss because it upsets the vacuum signature...which upsets the MAP....which makes it,worse.

You would probably not even notice on a basic 1600 with a 34-pict 3....partly because you may never spend much time above 4200-4400 rpm and partly because it may only be a miss or two of rough running right before shift point and then rpm is back down.

And.....as points quality dropped off on numerous brands....not just Bosch.....things like spring tension could be all over the planet.
Ray
Fred Winterburn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 25, 2016 6:05 pm    Post subject: Re: What Brands Make The Best Quality Points Ignition Components? Reply with quote

If it's double firing, that tells me there is no anti-bounce circuit and the TFI has dwell extension. Points alone won't cause double firing on the bounce because there isn't sufficient time to build up current in the coil when the points close and then immediately bounce open. For a second spark when the points bounce, the coil must have been getting current prior to the points closing. I presume what must be happening, is with rising rpm, whatever filtering the circuit may have, no longer works with the increased bounce, and the phase in of dwell control results in a second spark. The filtering is probably minimal and only meant for a magnetic trigger and not points bounce. The interruption of dwell is normal for points bounce, but the second spark certainly isn't. Fred

modok wrote:
Fred Winterburn wrote:

j-dub
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 25, 2016 7:01 pm    Post subject: Re: What Brands Make The Best Quality Points Ignition Components? Reply with quote

Since we are talking about point bounce...

I am also only using points as a trigger.

What can be done to make points trigger more reliable? I have lowered to points gap from .016 to .012 as well as bent the spring a bit to increase the pressure.
modok
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 25, 2016 8:01 pm    Post subject: Re: What Brands Make The Best Quality Points Ignition Components? Reply with quote

run some current through them to keep them clean.
MSD for instance, uses 40 ohms resistance from points wire to +12v, so it runs 1/3 amp through them. This also allows the condenser to be left in place.
More reliable? They are as reliable as the tides. I don't see how you could make anything more reliable Shocked

In my case the bounce is not causing any perceivable problem in how the engine runs, just a little spark during the exhaust stroke when I'm overrevving it, and still works better than points alone! But once you know about something....then the gears start turning, start wondering. I could see how it could certainly upset a computer!
j-dub
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 25, 2016 8:52 pm    Post subject: Re: What Brands Make The Best Quality Points Ignition Components? Reply with quote

Okay, maybe reliable was not the right word.

Let me reword my question, what can be done to mitigate points bounce at higher RPMs?
raygreenwood
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 25, 2016 10:24 pm    Post subject: Re: What Brands Make The Best Quality Points Ignition Components? Reply with quote

Point bounce rarely creates a "double fire". It creates a missed fire. Its just too fast. Whatever short,current saturation has occurrs in that millisecond of bounce dumps the coil and the next true cam ramp has no voltage.

A double bounce effectively cycles the coil at maybe twice the current speed. So if you are at 4400 rpm engine speed....it effectively sees 8800 rpm equivalent cycle rate. Its a miss not a double spark.
Ray
modok
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 26, 2016 1:10 am    Post subject: Re: What Brands Make The Best Quality Points Ignition Components? Reply with quote

Filtering the points signal can be done with a analog filter circuit, or it could be done digitally too with modern technology. Ignition boxes and tachometers are having no trouble with it, except for a few cheap ones I came across, but they were crap anyway.

At worst case with some filtering schemes you get a bit of delay, which is partly why a lot of ignitions systems the trigger signal is 90degrees btdc, because it just makes more sense that way if you think about it.
Do you need to do that? probably not. I am sure Fred W. will tell you even using rather old and simple methods we can turn these things 9,000 rpm no problem with a good CDI. If your not partial to CDI, inductive ignition boxes also existed from Jacobs, Mallory, MSD and others, which would have been pretty much a GM hei module and a few circuits in a fancy box 9maybe some were!), but I don't think any are currently made today. All antique now.
Mainstream has moved on from points, but.... a lot of what's on the market is "hobby quality", not as good as they made when it really mattered, so I prefer to steer clear of it. OOPS... not that I want to start that debate, but, that's the main motivation here, if it wasn't clear.
raygreenwood
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 26, 2016 9:34 am    Post subject: Re: What Brands Make The Best Quality Points Ignition Components? Reply with quote

modok wrote:
Filtering the points signal can be done with a analog filter circuit, or it could be done digitally too with modern technology. Ignition boxes and tachometers are having no trouble with it, except for a few cheap ones I came across, but they were crap anyway.

At worst case with some filtering schemes you get a bit of delay, which is partly why a lot of ignitions systems the trigger signal is 90degrees btdc, because it just makes more sense that way if you think about it.
Do you need to do that? probably not. I am sure Fred W. will tell you even using rather old and simple methods we can turn these things 9,000 rpm no problem with a good CDI. If your not partial to CDI, inductive ignition boxes also existed from Jacobs, Mallory, MSD and others, which would have been pretty much a GM hei module and a few circuits in a fancy box 9maybe some were!), but I don't think any are currently made today. All antique now.
Mainstream has moved on from points, but.... a lot of what's on the market is "hobby quality", not as good as they made when it really mattered, so I prefer to steer clear of it. OOPS... not that I want to start that debate, but, that's the main motivation here, if it wasn't clear.

Yes....agree...and "filtering" is done on more modern fuel injection and necessary and is one of the many reasons early on in EFI...you saw the water cooled VW's moving to hall effect triggering.

As the fuel maps became leaner....through CIS, CIS-e/motronic and into digifant 2....you run into system sensitivity again. Its not just a knock or ping...but also miss or even a very weak spark from points bounce....that causes issues with the knock sensors Wink .

So you were getting some signal "filtration" early on from ECU and from 02 sensor in the lambda circuit when some of the early leaner burning systems were using digifant and CIS and still using points.

Getting rid of the points not only allowed using coil systems with better voltage output for the high compressions of the day, but allowed better spark control via knock sensor and 02 sensor....and got rid of a lot of spark variation at high rpm shift points due to any weaknesses in the points themselves (change in dwell from carbonizing, spring tension issues etc).

For the most part ....unless very highly tuned....carbed engines are kind of self filtering. There is enough natural variation in fueling that an occasional single miss...probably more in the realm of a weaker less efficient spark than a miss depending on how efficient your coil is....would probably only be detected by an accurate tailpipe sniffer noting spikiness in hydrocarbons. Ray
Erik G
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 26, 2016 10:07 am    Post subject: Re: What Brands Make The Best Quality Points Ignition Components? Reply with quote

Quote:
old school early 90's wells from auto zone

you had autozone in the early 90's? We had Chief and I miss them. They were sometimes attached to a 7-11 and open 24 hours - which was great because in Sacramento when it's 110-115 during the day, you set up flood lights and work on cars late late

and yes, I could get halfway decent VW parts back then...
slalombuggy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 26, 2016 10:42 am    Post subject: Re: What Brands Make The Best Quality Points Ignition Components? Reply with quote

When I was racing my buggy, I would use points made for Rabbits in my 009 distributor. They had a stronger spring and would resist bouncing much better.

brad
mikedjames
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 26, 2016 12:02 pm    Post subject: Re: What Brands Make The Best Quality Points Ignition Components? Reply with quote

Over here in the the UK , I have seen a set of Bosch ignition parts as badly made as the Chinese stuff that came in a cheap distributor.

And every part of that Chinese distributor was in some way wrong. Either badly built, not interchangeable, or it wore out fast.

On the other hand , the Beru branded stuff we can obtain still seems high quality.

1974 VW T2 : Devon Eurovette camper with 1641 DP T1 engine, Progressive carb, full flow oil cooler, EDIS crank timed ignition.
Engine 1: 40k miles (rocker shaft clip fell off), Engine 2: 30k miles (rebuild, dropped valve). Engine 3: a JK Preservation Parts "new" engine, aluminium case: 26k miles: new top end.
Gearbox rebuild 2021 by Bears.

1979 Westerly GK24 24 foot racer/cruiser yacht Forethought of Gosport.
1973 wooden Pacer sailing dinghy
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
raygreenwood
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 26, 2016 5:09 pm    Post subject: Re: What Brands Make The Best Quality Points Ignition Components? Reply with quote

slalombuggy wrote:
When I was racing my buggy, I would use points made for Rabbits in my 009 distributor. They had a stronger spring and would resist bouncing much better.

brad

I think the points used in most rabbits were the same tiger striped wire points that were actually made for the 009....with the stronger spring and solid tungsten electrodes. Ray
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: