Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

1960 trans tunnel cut and hammered. Why?
Page: 1, 2  Next
Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
jimmy1614
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 20, 2016 9:47 pm    Post subject: 1960 trans tunnel cut and hammered. Why? Reply with quote

Been searching for a while. Hope someone can help. Just picked up this 1960 and as you can see the tunnel and body have been modded for fitment of the nose cone. Also the shift linkage has been welded to tranny. Have a feeling this has something to do with 60 specific front transaxle mount. Numbers on tranny are part# 113 301 103. There is a 41 and a C, not sure if that matters. Also 8621799 with no letters. Thanks for any help!

[/img]
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

[img]
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.
[/img]
mukluk
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 20, 2016 10:37 pm    Post subject: Re: 1960 trans tunnel cut and hammered. Why? Reply with quote

Instead of either installing a later style trans mount or swapping out the nose cone on the trans with one from a Bus, the previous owner of your car decided to go full-on hackery when they installed a tunnel-type transaxle in your car.
jimmy1614
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 20, 2016 10:55 pm    Post subject: Re: 1960 trans tunnel cut and hammered. Why? Reply with quote

So bus nose cone and proper linkage will fix the alignment issues? Thanks by the way!
zabo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 21, 2016 4:19 am    Post subject: Re: 1960 trans tunnel cut and hammered. Why? Reply with quote

Yes. do a search its been covered many times before.
Is your car lowered as well? Seems like maybe they were trying to do a trans raise or something. Way too much work there just to get a later trans in there. Wink

if your tunnel is cut al the way to the shifter i would worry about the structural streangth of the car.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
panicman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 21, 2016 8:01 am    Post subject: Re: 1960 trans tunnel cut and hammered. Why? Reply with quote

Yeah- don't underestimate the damage done by that groove being cut in the tunnel. That's bad.

Also, they cut out your VIN stamp.
jimmy1614
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 21, 2016 9:29 am    Post subject: Re: 1960 trans tunnel cut and hammered. Why? Reply with quote

Been searching for weeks. Didn't see anything like this or even an answer for it. Read plenty about 1960 only front mount and the two proper ways to get around it. This would be the reason why I looked for help here. Car is lowered but very little, maybe one outer spline in the back and drop spindles. The cut in the tunnel is only as long as the picture is so I don't think it was compromised structurally. Luckily i can see the first and last number of the vin on either side of the cut which match. Don't think pan and body have ever been separated. Thanks again!
splitjunkie
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 21, 2016 9:40 am    Post subject: Re: 1960 trans tunnel cut and hammered. Why? Reply with quote

Why?

Low IQ.

Too much Beer.

Too much Weed.

A family tree that doesn't branch.

Or any combination of the above.

You know, a lot of these scratches will buff right out... Jerry Seinfeld
jimmy1614
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 21, 2016 9:55 am    Post subject: Re: 1960 trans tunnel cut and hammered. Why? Reply with quote

Haha! I think im gonna weld in a later style mount. I would rather change the nose cone and keep the pan the way it is but from what I read its almost impossible to find 60 mounts new or in good shape.
60ragtop
Bonneville Belt Bitch

PostPosted: Thu Jul 21, 2016 10:21 am    Post subject: Re: 1960 trans tunnel cut and hammered. Why? Reply with quote

NOS 60 mounts are out there.
PM sent
Certified Hunter Wheel Alignment Master Technician 1986

tasb wrote:
I've restored a large number too, but I don't toot my horn quite as loud.

sb001 wrote:
maybe he just snapped cause his car sucked Wink
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
splitjunkie
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 21, 2016 10:33 am    Post subject: Re: 1960 trans tunnel cut and hammered. Why? Reply with quote

jimmy1614 wrote:
Haha! I think im gonna weld in a later style mount. I would rather change the nose cone and keep the pan the way it is but from what I read its almost impossible to find 60 mounts new or in good shape.

The bad news is that by cutting the slot in the tunnel, the structural integrity of the pan has been greatly compromised. The tunnel is the central backbone of the chassis and the strongest part of the the floor pan. You should check that all of the door gaps are OK and that the doors close properly. If they do then the body is probably OK and not tweeked. The tunnel needs to be repaired to restore the original rigidity of the chassis.

You know, a lot of these scratches will buff right out... Jerry Seinfeld
rockerarm
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 21, 2016 11:28 am    Post subject: Re: 1960 trans tunnel cut and hammered. Why? Reply with quote

Hi, and WELCOME.
Regarding that cutting that took out the VIN check with the local DMV/Police about this to verify you aint putting time and money into something that could easily get impounded.
Hope this helps, Bill.
57BLITZ
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 21, 2016 3:38 pm    Post subject: Re: 1960 trans tunnel cut and hammered. Why? Reply with quote

Is the shift rod welded to the hockey stick?!?!?!?
Previous-Owners . . . Bless their lil' pea-pickin' hearts!!!
jimmy1614
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 21, 2016 8:42 pm    Post subject: Re: 1960 trans tunnel cut and hammered. Why? Reply with quote

Yes the Linkage is welded to the shift rod. Doors open and close almost like new. I really don't believe the cut is long enough to have caused any major weakness, it's about 10" long and will obviously be repaired. Amazed at what people do to cars over the years! Car seems to have all og fenders, hood, deck lid and doors. From what I understand its hard to find 60 hoods? Thanks everyone for your help!

Thanks Rick!
panicman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 22, 2016 12:05 am    Post subject: Re: 1960 trans tunnel cut and hammered. Why? Reply with quote

A 10" cut in the tunnel is more than enough to compromise the strength of the chassis. Users here have reported buckling of the tunnel where access holes were cut that were far smaller. Sounds like you plan to repair it, and that is good. As I said- don't underestimate the damage caused by cutting the chassis tunnel.
Canadian VW
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 22, 2016 8:18 am    Post subject: Re: 1960 trans tunnel cut and hammered. Why? Reply with quote

Is it possible the engine and transmission were raised for more ground clearance?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
jimmy1614
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 22, 2016 8:59 am    Post subject: Re: 1960 trans tunnel cut and hammered. Why? Reply with quote

I dont think its been raised. Engine compartment looks normal. Cant decide if I should stick with the 60 mount and use a bus nose cone or just weld on a later mount. Gonna sleep on it for a few days.
zabo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 22, 2016 9:12 am    Post subject: Re: 1960 trans tunnel cut and hammered. Why? Reply with quote

post up some pics of the car- always like seeing the 60's– looks indian red?
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
jimmy1614
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 22, 2016 11:45 pm    Post subject: Re: 1960 trans tunnel cut and hammered. Why? Reply with quote

Yep! Indian red. Ill post a few this weekend.
rockerarm
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 23, 2016 10:19 am    Post subject: Re: 1960 trans tunnel cut and hammered. Why? Reply with quote

Hi. Again I emphasize, you have a car that has had its stamped in VIN removed. Prior to sinking time/money into this I would suggest researching the lack of a VIN. Sure, there is a riveted plate up in the front trunk, but?
Where are you located? It could be something as simple as paperwork and a newly issued VIN, such as done with special construction/kit cars/etc.
I would venture to guess that an appropriate repair could be cutting a similar piece out of a salvage/wrecked car, piecing it in, and proper welding. Front trans mounts are easily remedied. If area is damaged possibly the Berg front mount kit can be used, which is similar theory to the 356/912 mounting.
Hope this helps. Bill.
jimmy1614
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 24, 2016 9:56 am    Post subject: Re: 1960 trans tunnel cut and hammered. Why? Reply with quote

I wire brushed either side of the cut in the tunnel to see if I could see any of the vin. I could see the whole last number and the beginning of the first on either side of the cut. Both those numbers match the vin on my title which also matches the plate under the hood. The chances this thing was pan swapped over the years to a 1960 pan that had matching first and last numbers to the vin from the body are slim to none. Im pretty sure the pan and body have never been apart.

Thanks for lookin out though Bill!
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: