Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Headlight Problem
Forum Index -> Thing/Type 181 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
jackman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 20, 2016 5:41 pm    Post subject: Headlight Problem Reply with quote

It always happens that I take the Thing out for a ride and dinner and something happens. Cranked it up to go home and NO HEADLIGHTS!!!! (and YES, it was dark!!) Only the parking lights would work. Before this everything was working fine. I have checked the grounds, cleaned the fuse box and made sure the relay was working. Now the high beams work fine but the low beams still do not work! I have gone thru the wiring diagrams and checked everything I know to check. Anyone have any suggestions????
GI Joe
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 20, 2016 7:12 pm    Post subject: Re: Headlight Problem Reply with quote

Maybe your headlight switch? Swap the feed wire from the high beams and low beams and see if the lows work...

Good luck! Wink
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=8080337#8080337
www.NLEOMF.com
Respect, Honor, Remember
jackman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 21, 2016 5:30 am    Post subject: Re: Headlight Problem Reply with quote

Thanks GI Joe.

Maybe I didn't see it last night but the PO created a small wiring nightmare adding fog lights. Somehow the low beams were tied in to the fog lights and all it was was the ground for the fog light relay. Just happened to catch it!
Ron Domeck
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 21, 2016 5:57 am    Post subject: Re: Headlight Problem Reply with quote

All fog lights on any car is wired to only work on low beams. I put a set of Bosch NOS on mine and that is the way the Bosch people said do it.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
jackman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 21, 2016 6:03 am    Post subject: Re: Headlight Problem Reply with quote

And there lies my next problem. Low and high beams will come on without key in, as well as fog lights. AND the fog lights do not turn off when the high beams turn on. The wiring is a complete disaster and am going to have to draw it all out and figure out how to rewire it correctly. I learned several cars ago that the PO can make you VERY PO'ed!!!!
doublecanister
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 21, 2016 8:59 am    Post subject: Re: Headlight Problem Reply with quote

jackman wrote:
And there lies my next problem. Low and high beams will come on without key in, as well as fog lights. AND the fog lights do not turn off when the high beams turn on. The wiring is a complete disaster and am going to have to draw it all out and figure out how to rewire it correctly. I learned several cars ago that the PO can make you VERY PO'ed!!!!

Drawing it out is a very good idea.

I just finished a rewire of my 51 ford truck, it was so buggard with the previous 6v to 12v convert that it was a rolling fire hazard, actually caught fire a few times under the dash, headlights never worked, found out they were still using 6v circuit breakers!

On the new wire harness I put in, it's got relays for low and hi beam.
if you can sort out what's what, you probably could get them fog lights on the low beam circuit, then they should cut out when you go to hi beam.

that being said, the fun part for you (me too if I did this on the THING) is determining what wires go where for the low and hi circuits.

The other possibility,
these relays handle a set amount of amps, if you use a volt ohm meter, the one I have lets you hook it up in circuit so you can measure amps.
get that confirmd so you know what your 2 low beam + the 2 fog lights are drawing while on and you should be safe and not blow any fuses or damage the relay.
The truck got 2 relays bout 30 amps each one for low & hi beam.

also remember the Samba's got wire diagrams on here and some of the other guys are very good at this.
The Captn and Mondshine are 2 of the wire guru's I know of.

Good luck and keep us in the loop.

you'll get it fixed! I have faith grasshopper! Very Happy

T
1966 - Mustang GT- Fastback
1951 - Ford F1 pickup Flathead V8
Captain Spalding
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 21, 2016 7:06 pm    Post subject: Re: Headlight Problem Reply with quote

There are wiring diagrams in the technical section to help you get the wiring issues sorted out. This is one of those instances where the Current Flow Diagram is helpful in conjunction with the wiring diagram. Refer to those as we walk it through, relative to the light switch:

Power comes from the battery via a red/white wire to terminal 30 on the light switch.
    Power leaves the light switch from terminal 30 and continues via a red/white wire to the upstream side of fuse number 9.
    It then jumpers across to the upstream side of fuse 10, unfused, and via a red wire makes its way to the ignition switch.
    With the key switch on, power goes via a red/black wire from terminal X at the ignition switch to terminal X on the light switch.
    When the light switch is on, the switched power at terminal X on the light switch gets shunted to terminal 56 on the light switch, and then makes its way to terminal 56 on the dimmer relay.
    The power leaves the dimmer relay via the white or yellow wire, depending on the position of the dimmer switch, and goes to fuses 4 (white) or 6 (yellow).
    From there the right and left low and high beam lamps receive power each from its own fuse, if the key switch is on, and the light switch is on, and depending on the position of the dimmer switch.

Meanwhile, back at the light switch, there are two terminals yet to be mentioned.
    Terminal 58 receives unswitched power from terminal 30. When the switch is on, power goes via a grey wire to the upstream side of fuse number 7, and jumpers across to the upstream side of fuse 8.
    The downstream side of fuse 7 sees a grey wire that feeds the front running lights and a grey/red wire that goes to the license plate light.
    Fuse 8 carries power to the tail lights via a grey/black wire.
    The running lights get power whether the key is switched on or not.
    Terminal 58b on the light switch sends power to all the instrument panel lights.

If your headlights are coming on without the key in and switched on, take a look at the connections on the light switch. Make sure that the wire coming to terminal x on the light switch is coming from terminal x on the ignition switch. Also look to see that the white/black wire coming from terminal 56 on the dimmer relay is going to terminal 56 on the light switch.

Now, regarding the fog lights: it is appropriate that they are tied into the low beam circuit (although i think that ensuring that the fog lights turn of when the high beams are switched on is more a matter of legality than practicality.)

Here is a diagram for a fog light circuit on a Thing.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Notice how the fog light switch draws power from the downstream side of fuse number 6. This spot is only hot when the low beams are on. I think the reason that both your fog lights and headlights work with the key off is that the dimmer relay is getting power from other than terminal 56 on the light switch.

Good luck.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Thing/Type 181 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: