Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Split Beetle Front Beam Differences
Forum Index -> Beetle - Split-Window/1938-53 VWs Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
CommodoreCollector
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 18, 2016 4:50 pm    Post subject: Split Beetle Front Beam Differences Reply with quote

Couldn't find a post about this in the FAQ, so figured I would start one.

Q: Are there any differences from a 1949-1953 Split Beetle front Beam?

Q: Is it possible to use a later King Pin Beam from a bug in place of the split beam?

Q: Where there any notable changes in their design/construction that would be helpful for those rebuilding their back to stock?

Q: Are there any differences between the early beetle brake front brakes drums and later beetle?

Not For Sale:

1969 Karmann Ghia
1961 Type 2 DD Panel
1960 Euro Kombi
1959 Type 2 Single Cab
1958 Type 2 Panel
1958 Type 2 Single Cab
1958 Karmann Ghia
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
52 split
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 18, 2016 6:00 pm    Post subject: Re: Split Beetle Front Beam Differences Reply with quote

hey Chris yes early beams are short shock tower mounts, kdfs had no shock towers. yes you can use a later link pin beam. early brakes use 4 bolt wheel cylinders. I have a bare split beam that needs repair if you need it.
CommodoreCollector
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 18, 2016 7:27 pm    Post subject: Re: Split Beetle Front Beam Differences Reply with quote

52 split wrote:
hey Chris yes early beams are short shock tower mounts, kdfs had no shock towers. yes you can use a later link pin beam. early brakes use 4 bolt wheel cylinders. I have a bare split beam that needs repair if you need it.

I have a rough kdf beam with og rusty leaves and one upper control arm. I am missing pretty much everything else.

If I can sub in a 1955-1960 bug beam in the meantime I can get the car (almost) rolling which is the goal at the moment.

Not For Sale:

1969 Karmann Ghia
1961 Type 2 DD Panel
1960 Euro Kombi
1959 Type 2 Single Cab
1958 Type 2 Panel
1958 Type 2 Single Cab
1958 Karmann Ghia
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
nlorntson
Crazy VW Lady

PostPosted: Mon Jul 18, 2016 7:33 pm    Post subject: Re: Split Beetle Front Beam Differences Reply with quote

Splits have a very different shape to the inner wheel arch than an oval or later car. I wonder if that would be a problem with trying to use a later beam?

This is the area I'm talking about:

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

This is, I think, an oval front clip. The profile of a split is much less pointy.
OvalTeenAZ
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 18, 2016 9:25 pm    Post subject: Re: Split Beetle Front Beam Differences Reply with quote

Here is what I know from my knowledge over the last few years of playing with these cars.

194x - 1948. Used in KDF cars.. Very short shocks that connected to the upper control arm... The later style mounts to the bottom arm.

1949 - 1950. Could possibly be 1949 only. Welded seam down the shock tower. I've never owned a 1950 model so I'm not sure on the change over.

1951-1952 with spot welded seam.. As seen on my 2 '51s and a '52
CommodoreCollector
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 19, 2016 11:22 pm    Post subject: Re: Split Beetle Front Beam Differences Reply with quote

Great info OvalTeenAZ. My August 1950 front beam looks like 1951-1952 front beam picture you posted.

Not For Sale:

1969 Karmann Ghia
1961 Type 2 DD Panel
1960 Euro Kombi
1959 Type 2 Single Cab
1958 Type 2 Panel
1958 Type 2 Single Cab
1958 Karmann Ghia
splitjunkie
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 20, 2016 1:23 pm    Post subject: Re: Split Beetle Front Beam Differences Reply with quote

Any '53 through '65 link pin front beam will bolt on with no issues.

You know, a lot of these scratches will buff right out... Jerry Seinfeld
CommodoreCollector
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 02, 2016 8:37 pm    Post subject: Re: Split Beetle Front Beam Differences Reply with quote

splitjunkie wrote:
Any '53 through '65 link pin front beam will bolt on with no issues.

Just wanted to update to let everyone know i was able to mount a 1960's king pin beam into the 1950. However it did need some modification. The sway bar had to be removed to give the beam more clearance to swing into place. Also the two studs on the top of the 60's beam had to be removed since they are bigger than the bolt holes in the 1950 to hold the beam to the body.

Not For Sale:

1969 Karmann Ghia
1961 Type 2 DD Panel
1960 Euro Kombi
1959 Type 2 Single Cab
1958 Type 2 Panel
1958 Type 2 Single Cab
1958 Karmann Ghia
Dan14
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 03, 2024 8:24 pm    Post subject: Re: Split Beetle Front Beam Differences Reply with quote

Can anyone tell what control arms are compatable with a beam from a 50? Spindles too? My beam came bare and i'll need to canabalize one...
Blue Baron
VW Aficionado

PostPosted: Fri Jan 05, 2024 10:41 am    Post subject: Re: Split Beetle Front Beam Differences Reply with quote

Splits used fewer and thicker torsion leaves, and the suspension was much stiffer. I'm not sure whether later parts are a direct swap.

Heinz Nordhoff
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Dan14
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 06, 2024 9:01 am    Post subject: Re: Split Beetle Front Beam Differences Reply with quote

Thanks for the feedback BB. Anyone know if there are interchangeable parts with newer beams?
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - Split-Window/1938-53 VWs All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: