Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Bad brakes
Forum Index -> Thing/Type 181 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
747DRVR
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 18, 2016 3:43 pm    Post subject: Bad brakes Reply with quote

I have had my Thing for about 4 months and love it.I have replaced the front drums and pads and the brakes were working pretty good.I have ordered new brake hoses and am just waiting for time to swap them out.This morning I went to drive the car after a week of sitting and the pedal went all the way down without the car stopping.I tried pumping the pedal a bunch of times but nothing.I then noticed the pedal was only coming back a little bit.I brought the pedal all the way back with my foot and pumped the brakes 2 times and now I have brakes.Took it for a short drive and everything seemed to be working.Let it sit for a couple of hours and then tried it again.Brakes are still ok.What do you think the problem was?My 17 year old daughter drives the car quite a bit so I need the brakes to work well.I suppose a new master cylinder is in the works
EDragnDean
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 18, 2016 5:37 pm    Post subject: Re: Bad brakes Reply with quote

Hmmm, a thing uses a dual master, so total break failure generally would be the master cylinder (other failure would be only half). Or... your brake fluid reservoir is dry?

Recommend -- Replace master, replace soft brake lines, pull all four drums and check for leaking cylinders. Check hard lines for leaks. Adjust, fill, bleed, drive.
73 Thing http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=8111202#8111202
70 BusClick to view image
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
747DRVR
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 18, 2016 6:19 pm    Post subject: Re: Bad brakes Reply with quote

The reservoir still has plenty of fluid.It doesnt seem to be leaking.The main problem looks like the pedal didn't go all the way back up.I also noticed one of the rear metal lines is a bit crushed
EDragnDean
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 18, 2016 6:24 pm    Post subject: Re: Bad brakes Reply with quote

Pedal return happens when you let off of the brakes, and pressure pushes back the pedal/system. Either pressure is leaving the system, you should see leakage somewhere, or the pressure is unable to return. This is commonly caused by collapsed soft lines (much more pressure when you push down, then it doesn't flow back, which will also cause brakes to squeal, or pull left/right). Could be your pinched hard line, but I would expect wheel cylinders, softlines, master cylinder. Suggest you replace all with German parts.
73 Thing http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=8111202#8111202
70 BusClick to view image
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
747DRVR
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 18, 2016 6:42 pm    Post subject: Re: Bad brakes Reply with quote

Thanks alot.I have all the soft lines ready to go.I always replace them when I buy a new car along with bleeding the brakes.I just have to order the MC and rear metal line.Thanks for your help
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Thing/Type 181 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: