Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Fuel filler neck, coat inside with POR15 fuel tank coating?
Forum Index -> Body/Paint Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Patrick_S
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 17, 2016 6:56 pm    Post subject: Fuel filler neck, coat inside with POR15 fuel tank coating? Reply with quote

Hi. The old fuel filler neck on my 1303 is pretty rusty and the paint is pretty damaged after 43 years of use, so I am trying to get this fixed now. Regular fuel resistant spray paint seems almost impossible to me, I have no idea how to properly coat the inside with regular spraypaint since the tube is so long. So I'm thinking of using POR 15 fuel tank coating, but will this be able to resist the metal hose-end touching the POR 15 fuel tank coating every time I refuel?? Does anyone have experience with the durability of POR 15 fuel tank coating??
And the filler neck will get sandblasted by someone, so I need to figure out some way of coating the inside of this tube.
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.
a.wilson
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 27, 2016 4:50 pm    Post subject: Re: Fuel filler neck, coat inside with POR15 fuel tank coating? Reply with quote

Hi Patrick. If you do use the POR tank liner coating, let us know how it holds up.

I have no experience with POR.. but have read pro's and con's over the years from many who've either loved .. or hated the stuff.
There have been mixed reviews with por15.

Back when I was planning to rebuild a couple of bug projects, I was thinking about having my filler pipes zinc or cad plated. Followed by painting the outside stock black color. But wasn't sure how plating would hold up to gas, either.

Here's an old topic from another website talking about this..
http://forum.ih8mud.com/threads/what-paint-to-use-on-fuel-filler-neck.380154/

oemwolf
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Body/Paint All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: