Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Second Chance at a Crew Cab
Page: 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Forum Index -> Split Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
mdubg
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 16, 2016 9:46 pm    Post subject: Second Chance at a Crew Cab Reply with quote

In 1991 I bought a 65 CrewCab in Avalon on Catalina Island of the coast of Long Beach, CA. I spent the next couple years chroming, painting and enjoying my ride. In the summer of 1994, some low-life stole my Crew in the middle of the night. Now, 22 years later, I was able to pick up this 1960 CrewCab. My new 60 DC is in decent shape for a 55 year old bus. Now, I'm starting the dream all over. It may take some time, but I'm hoping to document the transformation as I work to restore this piece of history.
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Kiwinw
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 16, 2016 10:22 pm    Post subject: Re: Second Chance at a Crew Cab Reply with quote

Looks awesome as it is! Congrats on your new crew cab!

1975 Westfalia
1967 Westfalia
1966 Riviera
1966 Deluxe
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
EverettB Premium Member
Administrator

PostPosted: Sat Jul 16, 2016 10:31 pm    Post subject: Re: Second Chance at a Crew Cab Reply with quote

It look super nice! Congratulations on the new truck.

Is the bed coated?
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
mdubg
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 16, 2016 11:35 pm    Post subject: Re: Second Chance at a Crew Cab Reply with quote

It is pretty sweet as is, but as with any of these buses you gotta keep the rust at bay. I've got some pre-cancer rust and bubbling paint that I wanna stop. Pictures of the problem areas will be forthcoming.

The bed is currently lined. I'm not sure of the quality of the bedliner. It's a bit faded, but looks clean.
ronjonlasvegas
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 17, 2016 6:02 am    Post subject: Re: Second Chance at a Crew Cab Reply with quote

That bus looks fantastic as is. Congratulations, it looks like a great starting point.
Mile High Puma
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 17, 2016 6:55 am    Post subject: Re: Second Chance at a Crew Cab Reply with quote

I kept a copy of Hot VWs for years that had an article of a gorgeous 65 crewcab owned by a lady on Catalina Island that was I think a light gray with burgundy striping, was that the one you bought?
mdubg
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 17, 2016 7:59 am    Post subject: Re: Second Chance at a Crew Cab Reply with quote

No that wasn't my bus. Up until the early to mid-90's Catalina was a wonderland for buses. All the taxi's were Bay's and there were probably a total of 10 double cabs of all varieties. I think a couple Vanagon era DOKA's still remain, last I was there. Other than the differences in Model Years, my previous looked very similar to what I have now.

In case anyone sees it 22 years later...
When it was stolen, it was two tone (white/turquoise) with a thin black pinstripe. All the window frames and bed latches had been chromed. I have no pictures of the previously completed bus, which is why I'm taking plenty this time around.
mdubg
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 17, 2016 8:17 am    Post subject: Re: Second Chance at a Crew Cab Reply with quote

Filled the tank the other day. Immediately, the cab began to smell like gas. There was a small leak in the seam, so it would take a half tank, but would leak if it was full.

Yesterday, I opened up the gas compartment and removed the tank. A little bit of rust, nothing crazy and no holes in the floor. I'm going to clean it out, prime and paint it, so that it can be sealed up for another half century.

Anyone else come across insulation in this compartment? This looks like house insulation, not automotive. It's coming out, but first I need a respirator.

easy e
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 17, 2016 11:16 am    Post subject: Re: Second Chance at a Crew Cab Reply with quote

Nice 2nd chance Brother!

Do you have M code 173? What was delivery port (two characters at lower left corner of M plate?
"173 - Engine prepared for arctic climates, heavy duty insulation in engine area Includes steel-backed crank and rod bearings.
cru62
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 17, 2016 2:36 pm    Post subject: Re: Second Chance at a Crew Cab Reply with quote

That is just fiberglass house insulation. Long sleeves, goggles and a dust mask are all you need.
Sweet ride!

Jokes about German sausage are the wurst.

Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!
mdubg
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 21, 2016 8:53 am    Post subject: Re: Second Chance at a Crew Cab Reply with quote

Yeah, I think it was normal fiberglass housing insulation. I have the fiber rash on my forearms to prove it. All in all, it was a quick clean up. Not sure why it was there in the first place.

Next task is cleaning up the surface rust, neutralizing it, priming and paint the compartment. Then the new gas can will get me driving again.
aa390392
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 21, 2016 10:14 am    Post subject: Re: Second Chance at a Crew Cab Reply with quote

Very nice truck, sorry for your past loss, looks as though you found a good one,
Where and how did you find this one? Its in excellent shape minus its lil flaws, I must say I would love to find one in that shape, but I probably could no longer afford, good luck and have fun with it. And I dont need to remind you keep it secure, for sure.the thiefs are definitely still out there willing to take their next f**king plan.
Thomas

55 ragtop
56 delux sedan
56 Kabriolet
mdubg
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 29, 2016 10:02 pm    Post subject: Re: Second Chance at a Crew Cab Reply with quote

@Thomas. I've had my eye on this bus for a few years, in Long Beach, California. The previous owner worked for a family friend. The bus is in relatively good shape, but like any 55 year old VW, it has some surprises. I've uncovered a few already, like the leaky gas tank. The last few weekends I've spent a few minutes getting the gas tank compartment cleaned up, so that I can close up the compartment and gas tank for the next few decades.
BulliBill
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 30, 2016 9:54 am    Post subject: Re: Second Chance at a Crew Cab Reply with quote

From the owner of a '59 DC (see my build thread - http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=545000&start=0 ), once you get your tank all squared away and area closed off again, ALWAYS be cautious when filling up your tank not to overfill and spill gas in the "filler" area. The earliest DC's did not have an overflow drain tube in the filler area (added later on) and if gas spills down into the tank area, your cab interior will stink of gas for days/weeks. Ask me how I know this. Just sayin'.

Bill Bowman
Thornton VW - Stockton

Thanks for any help!
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
mdubg
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 30, 2016 1:25 pm    Post subject: Re: Second Chance at a Crew Cab Reply with quote

Bill, I have read through your build thread several times, prior to today. Thanks for taking so much time to document your build! I've been using it as my inspiration.

Couple questions for you:
1. Just want to confirm that you are talking about overfill just in the filler area or are you say that the old buses are missing something internal/mechanical to prevent the fuel pumps from "tripping off" when full? May be a dumb question, but my previous DC was 5 years older and although it always smelled of the gas , it would trip the auto-shut off.

2. After a few years, how has the "undercoat" you used on your bus held up? I was thinking of using a similar technique in this compartment as I'm not ready to give up the bus to a paint shop yet.

Thanks in advance for your advise.
BulliBill
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 30, 2016 4:17 pm    Post subject: Re: Second Chance at a Crew Cab Reply with quote

mdubg wrote:
Bill, I have read through your build thread several times, prior to today. Thanks for taking so much time to document your build! I've been using it as my inspiration.

Couple questions for you:
1. Just want to confirm that you are talking about overfill just in the filler area or are you say that the old buses are missing something internal/mechanical to prevent the fuel pumps from "tripping off" when full? May be a dumb question, but my previous DC was 5 years older and although it always smelled of the gas , it would trip the auto-shut off.

2. After a few years, how has the "undercoat" you used on your bus held up? I was thinking of using a similar technique in this compartment as I'm not ready to give up the bus to a paint shop yet.

Thanks in advance for your advise.

Well,

I delighted to hear that my build thread has helped you out, it is pretty detailed, and even I enjoy going over it again every once in a while (I usually regret my occasional spelling errors!).

1. I'm describing the immediate area just inside the filler door. If you fill the tank too quickly as the gas comes up the neck, some of it cam "burp" out dripping down into the area where your gas tank is behind the removable panels. Gas spilled back in there will take a while to evaporate and loose that gas smell. In later Buses, the VW factory installed a small drain tube into the bracket that the gas tank neck passed through. The tube channels any small spillage of gas through the tube and down through the cargo floor and drains it out on the ground below the Bus (don't tell the EPA!). That is what I was describing.

2. If by "undercoat" you really mean the grey paint that I applied to the entire underside of the chassis, then yes, it still looks like the day I applied it (although I have only put 500 miles or so on the finished 1959 Double-Cab). The grey paint is holding up fine! There is no undercoat at all anywhere on the Bus. I don't like undercoat, I prefer to sand, prep, primer and paint metal both inside and outside my Buses.

Happy to help!

Bill Bowman
Thornton VW - Stockton

Thanks for any help!
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Eric&Barb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 30, 2016 4:56 pm    Post subject: Re: Second Chance at a Crew Cab Reply with quote

Filler neck drain also helps reduce rust in the tank area, otherwise rain gets past the gas door and drips down onto the fuel tank floor.
Cuņado Wear
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 17, 2016 2:05 pm    Post subject: Re: Second Chance at a Crew Cab Reply with quote

mdubg wrote:
In 1991 I bought a 65 CrewCab in Avalon on Catalina Island of the coast of Long Beach, CA. I spent the next couple years chroming, painting and enjoying my ride. In the summer of 1994, some low-life stole my Crew in the middle of the night. Now, 22 years later, I was able to pick up this 1960 CrewCab. My new 60 DC is in decent shape for a 55 year old bus. Now, I'm starting the dream all over. It may take some time, but I'm hoping to document the transformation as I work to restore this piece of history.

WOW! congrats! I just finally realized a dream of mines to a 60' double cab. Yours is in way better shape though. Looking forward to your future post.

Looking for front kick panels for late 63' Deluxe Basalt Gray
60' Double Cab
63' 15 Window Deluxe
Sinklar
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 21, 2016 9:10 pm    Post subject: Re: Second Chance at a Crew Cab Reply with quote

Nice looking 60. Why is the build date?
mdubg
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 02, 2016 5:06 pm    Post subject: Re: Second Chance at a Crew Cab Reply with quote

I'm not sure of the build date. The m-code was lost by the PO. The vin plate is intact in the engine bay. It's painted over and I just haven't spent the time to decipher it yet.

I finally finished cleaning out the fiberglass insulation, cleaned out the tar, cleaned up the paint/rust, neutralized the rust, primed, and painted the gas tank compartment. Next step is to get the tank in and get this ride on the road...again.

Current: '60 Double Cab
Previous: '65 Double Cab (stolen)
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Split Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4

Jump to: