Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Loose steering / hard thud / missing components in engine compon
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
1972beetle
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 16, 2016 6:44 pm    Post subject: Re: Loose steering / hard thud / missing components in engine compon Reply with quote

Ill order rubber mounts. Should i put a set of shocks on rear and front since 3 of the 4 wheels have them? Or did manufacturer do something different that works great? I don't mind doing everything new in the steering and suspension. I do have a powdercoat shop 2 miles from house that could powder coat entire chassis. I really never done a restore and want to do it right while trying to keep it a daily driver
David_nc_72std
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 16, 2016 6:52 pm    Post subject: Re: Loose steering / hard thud / missing components in engine compon Reply with quote

1972beetle wrote:

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

I sure hope the manifold preheat pipe is NOT hooked up - looks like someone has taped the fuel line against it, a very dangerous situation since that normally has exhaust gas flowing through it.
1972beetle
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 16, 2016 7:03 pm    Post subject: Re: Loose steering / hard thud / missing components in engine compon Reply with quote

Wow. I'll get into this in the morning and see what i need to do. Can someone get me a diagram of how i should run the fuel line and where i should put that fuel filter. Thank you guys so much. I would not have caught these issues from glancing bcz i never been around one of these cars just always liked them from childhood
glutamodo Premium Member
The Android

PostPosted: Sat Jul 16, 2016 7:14 pm    Post subject: Re: Loose steering / hard thud / missing components in engine compon Reply with quote

Factory routing:

IMAGE NOTE: It has been noted that Chrome based browsers may have issues in displaying my vast image library, which use non-secure links and are on an FTP server. Images should still be viewable if the link is clicked though.
I do not know how to fix this. All I can say is it all works fine for me with what I use, Firefox.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Tim Donahoe
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 16, 2016 7:33 pm    Post subject: Re: Loose steering / hard thud / missing components in engine compon Reply with quote

Put the front end on a good set of jack stands and let someone turn the steering wheel left and right, back and forth, just a little, and more. Tell them to keep it up as you get under the car with a nice flashlight and inspect the tire rod ends (inners and outers), and the ball joints. You should be able to see if any joints have looseness. Then have your assistant center the steering wheel and make short jerky turns, left and right, then larger turns. Watch the U-joint as it connects to the steering box spindle. See if the joint moves before the spindle.

Tim

Richard O'Brien
glutamodo Premium Member
The Android

PostPosted: Sat Jul 16, 2016 7:54 pm    Post subject: Re: Loose steering / hard thud / missing components in engine compon Reply with quote

Yeah, and something else that often gets sloppy are the bushings in the idler arm.

IMAGE NOTE: It has been noted that Chrome based browsers may have issues in displaying my vast image library, which use non-secure links and are on an FTP server. Images should still be viewable if the link is clicked though.
I do not know how to fix this. All I can say is it all works fine for me with what I use, Firefox.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
[email protected]
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 16, 2016 7:57 pm    Post subject: Re: Loose steering / hard thud / missing components in engine compon Reply with quote

1972beetle wrote:
Ill order rubber mounts. Should i put a set of shocks on rear and front since 3 of the 4 wheels have them? Or did manufacturer do something different that works great? I don't mind doing everything new in the steering and suspension. I do have a powdercoat shop 2 miles from house that could powder coat entire chassis. I really never done a restore and want to do it right while trying to keep it a daily driver

I would not get a stock replacement rubber set of control arm bushings. I would get the Urethane ones.

My guess with the shocks was that the previous owners lowering job didn't go as planned, and they installed a coil over shock on one side for a poorly adjusted torsion bar. I would get an orange Bentley repair manual, and search how to properly index/reset your torsions bars. Reset the bars to get your proper/equal desired ride height, and install new non-coil over shocks in the rear.

I would start out small, and get the repairs done to get the vehicle safe/roadworthy. Powder coating a chassis would require 100% disassembly, and is not going to be practical while trying to daily drive the car.
1972beetle
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 16, 2016 7:59 pm    Post subject: Re: Loose steering / hard thud / missing components in engine compon Reply with quote

Thank you guys I'll have my son aid me in this.
1972beetle
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 16, 2016 9:53 pm    Post subject: Re: Loose steering / hard thud / missing components in engine compon Reply with quote

You all have been extremely helpful. The prior owner was military vet also bought a vw bus and gave up on this project... Im not sure if he knows what he was getting into.

Ill raise the car tomorrow and compile a list of parts needed and run it by you all. Than order all parts in order of safety concerns. I been told these cars are fairly cheap "not sure" if that is true.

On the fuel lines can I run brass / copper / metal lines instead of these hoses this guy had installed? Or is hoses the best recommended product for an air cooled engine. I was not aware of half these issues... But it is 44 years old and God only knows how many owners / mechanics had there hands in it.

Are the wheel bearings in these cars available with grease fittings? I didn't see any fittings. Can i get "wet" joints, and bearings for this vehicle? I like the idea of greasing regularly verses waiting for it to dry out. I ask bcz when I start tearing the steering apart and front / rear suspension I'll have the wheels off and be looking at the drums, shoes, and Cylinders.

Lots of questions, I greatly appreciate all the Feed back. I'll look for the manual tomorrow which will probably keep me from asking any more premature questions.
Tim Donahoe
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 16, 2016 10:41 pm    Post subject: Re: Loose steering / hard thud / missing components in engine compon Reply with quote

Get your front end components from Topline. They specialize in Super Beetle parts. Get urethane control arm bushings and sway bar bushings--if needed upon inspection. Most of my front-end restoration parts, I bought from them, and my front end drives like new.

I got stock oil-filled shocks from Wolfsburg West, however. They give a nice, stock ride.

I haven't heard of zerk fittings for VW wheel bearings. But you need only repack every 30,000 miles. Some later models don't require rear bearings to be repack end at all.

Tim

Richard O'Brien
1972beetle
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 17, 2016 5:15 am    Post subject: Re: Loose steering / hard thud / missing components in engine compon Reply with quote

Good morning.

This sounds good. 30,000 miles is a good amount of time. Thank you for the knowledge. I was told to order through jbugs is this the best affordable site? I don't trust local part store they gave wrong distributor parts and told me the wrong gap on plugs... A lilttle headache...
vamram Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 17, 2016 7:57 am    Post subject: Re: Loose steering / hard thud / missing components in engine compon Reply with quote

1972beetle wrote:
Good morning.

This sounds good. 30,000 miles is a good amount of time. Thank you for the knowledge. I was told to order through jbugs is this the best affordable site? I don't trust local part store they gave wrong distributor parts and told me the wrong gap on plugs... A lilttle headache...

Like Tim wrote, go with topline for your front end components, not jbugs. Jon at topline even answers the phone and is really helpful answering even Newbie questions.

'74 Super 9/16 - present, in refurb process.
'73 Super - 6/18 - Present - Daily Driver!
'75 Super Le Grande...waiting it's turn in line behind '74.
Click to view image
Save the Supers!!
1972beetle
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 17, 2016 8:10 am    Post subject: Re: Loose steering / hard thud / missing components in engine compon Reply with quote

Do you hand John number? Are they mon- fri only? East West central time zone?

My son wants to be under the car. I think its a good idea so he can start understanding bushings, joints, poor mounting etc. Because these cars do not have power steering can I manually turn the steering while undercar with son?
FeelthySanchez
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 17, 2016 8:14 am    Post subject: Re: Loose steering / hard thud / missing components in engine compon Reply with quote

PHONE: 714.630.8371
FAX: 714.630.6477
West coast, looks like he's open M-Sat.

2910-East Miraloma Ave, Unit A
Anaheim, CA 92806

http://toplineparts.com/vw-products.html
Enough clue..Whats that mean?
OldIronSpine wrote:
I'm not sure how compression works.
Turbos don't produce torque, they produce HP. Instead of torque.
The real problem with NA engines is you don't hear the nice whine of the turbo as it spools up.
Before I commit, I'm going to do more research because I don't really know what piston rings are.
1972beetle
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 17, 2016 9:02 am    Post subject: Re: Loose steering / hard thud / missing components in engine compon Reply with quote

Just looked through website I see this steering is a little more detailed than I thought. They are mentioning mid 72 years prior and post. How do I find out which one I Have. Than they are talking about lowered or standard height. Any one know the standard height so I can measure clearance to see what this guy did. I don't want to waste Johns time when I call tomorrow.
vamram Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 17, 2016 10:26 am    Post subject: Re: Loose steering / hard thud / missing components in engine compon Reply with quote

Look at the spindle if the front tire. 3-point ball joint at the bottom means your suspension is mid-73 - '71.

Click to view image
Save the Supers!!
1972beetle
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 17, 2016 10:33 am    Post subject: Re: Loose steering / hard thud / missing components in engine compon Reply with quote

vamram wrote:
Look at the spindle if the front tire. 3-point ball joint at the bottom means your suspension is mid-73 - '71.

Does not appear to be 3 point
glutamodo Premium Member
The Android

PostPosted: Sun Jul 17, 2016 11:08 am    Post subject: Re: Loose steering / hard thud / missing components in engine compon Reply with quote

That is definitely the early style. (It didn't change until the last week of 1973 production.) After that, it looked like this:

vamram Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 17, 2016 11:21 am    Post subject: Re: Loose steering / hard thud / missing components in engine compon Reply with quote

Sorry, by 3 points I meant 3-bolts. Mean what you say, say what u mean. Very Happy it's definitely the early style.

Click to view image
Save the Supers!!
Tim Donahoe
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 17, 2016 2:13 pm    Post subject: Re: Loose steering / hard thud / missing components in engine compon Reply with quote

It would be difficult for you to turn the steering wheel if you're under the car with your son Wink .

Take turns. You go under the car, first. Then have your son turn the steering wheel. Check things out. Then trade places with your son and let him look. Finally, both of you get under there together.

Tim

Richard O'Brien
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 2 of 4

Jump to: