Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

How precious is your VW? Really?
Forum Index -> General/Chat Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
mcdonaldneal
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 15, 2016 2:57 pm    Post subject: How precious is your VW? Really? Reply with quote

I thought I'd just hang this out there to maybe generate a bit of discussion...
It relates to something that happened a couple of weeks ago that scared me a bit, and thinking about it afterwards has made me wonder about my judgement at the time. At the very least, have a think about what you would do, and where your priorities should be!
I had taken a friend, in our Karmann Ghia to the Saturday of the weekend of the annual, British Ghia owners club rally about forty miles away, in Stirlingshire, Scotland. A great fun event, with 46 Ghias!

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Sadly, it was a calendar clash with my wife's and my 25 year University class reunion, which she had helped organise. A posh meal and '80's disco in Edinburgh, and a chance to catch up with loads of friends from the past. A year in the planning!
So, I left the Ghia crowd in plenty of time to drive home, shower and spruce myself up for the night.

We drove across county to enjoy the scenery, and half way home, in the middle of nowhere, up a quiet Scottish glen, we smelled petrol...

Definitely us!

I pulled over, and checked the engine bay. No smell, no leak, nice fresh gas lines.
OK, maybe the tank? Looked under the front, and sure enough, fuel was raining down from the tank. I have two lengths of soft line there, with a plastic fuel filter in the middle, and four proper clamps. Easy enough to replace during a service, but a bit trickier to get to in the wild. I had a feel at arms length and there was a brisk leak from one end of the filter, must have cracked somehow.
What to do? Our precious fuel was leaking away, with no spare! I grabbed the tool roll from under the rear seat and tried to get a clamp on the line. A bit too difficult to reach, so out with the jack and popped a wheel off to improve access. Luckily my friend had the presence of mind to put the wheel under the car body...

A bit of wriggling and I got a couple of clamps on the line, by which time my shirt was drenched in fuel that had run down my arms. Luckily, I had a spare fuel filter and got that in place relatively easily, towelled off the worst of the fuel, grease and underseal and headed on our way, fortunately still with enough fuel, and just enough time to get home and scrub off the underseal with kerosene to make it to the night out.

What bothers me is that in the middle of that excitement, under the car, soaked in fuel, in a puddle of petrol, one little spark, say from the clock, could have set off the fireball that would have left me at best, with horrendous burns and could easily have been life threatening. I've worked in a burns unit and seen it. (I'll not mention ruining a perfectly nice Ghia into the bargain).

What could we have done differently?
Could have let the fuel drain away, and dealt with the recovery later.
Could have been a bit more cautious with clamping the lines, and not got soaked.
Could have isolated the battery (I have a cutoff on the negative pole).
Could have told my friend that I have two fire extinguishers behind the front seats!
In fact, could have got them out, and had them ready!

In short, in the 'heat' of the moment, with the pressure of time, and the worry about the car, and the fuel running out, I just did what I thought was needed, as quickly as I could. But, as in the 'Swiss cheese' model of major incidents, lots of small holes had lined up together, and could have led to a big, big problem.

I guess what I am saying is, it's an unusual event and a small risk, but it could have had enormous consequences. Don't let small pressures force you into doing something you might regret. Have a think about what you would have done, and whether it's worth mentally rehearsing what you would do if you had say, an engine fire.

I know I'll be showing my future passengers where the fire extinguishers are, how to work the battery cutoff and how to open the engine bay!

Thoughts, comments welcome! I won't take them personally!

Stop dead photo links! Post photos to The Samba Gallery!
Zundfolge1432 Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 15, 2016 5:23 pm    Post subject: Re: How precious is your VW? Really? Reply with quote

Please ck and correct where that fuel hose is rubbing the tie rod. You could turn the outlet on the tank to make that hose clear the rod. Good luck, I carry a fire extinguisher do you? Very Happy
hitest
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 15, 2016 6:25 pm    Post subject: Re: How precious is your VW? Really? Reply with quote

I'd turn the outlet pipe so it's not pointing exactly down and forward- to the side a bit will do, as it will help lead the soft line away from rubbing. The low-pressure fuel will find its way just fine turned a little to the side. Beautiful Ghia sir!

That aside, I hear what you're saying. For me it's more the automatic safety checks than the value of the car. Whether it's my rust-ridden '65 bus or one of my shiny beetles, the battery ground comes off whenever I'm horsing around with fuel or electrics. I guess I don't have to consider whether or not a car was worth a risky maneuver, because I fortunately do not make to the point of risk very often. All my cars have tools and a fire extinguisher. I carry them so I won't need them. Wink

On a relative note- I rarely have anything to report in the "what did I do for my bus today" threads. But recently, I added that I had purchased two of the passive Blaze-Cut fire suppression systems from JOGRUSA.com. They are great for piece of mind. One will always be in my long-distance driving bus, and the other can shuttle between my shiny DC and the less-driven 13w

I wonder what the nut looks like.

'62 L390 151, '62 L469 117, '63 L380 113, '64 L87 311, '65 L512 265, '65 L31 SO-42, '66 L360 251, '68 L30k 141, '71 L12 113, '74 ORG 181

FU#5
[email protected]
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 15, 2016 6:29 pm    Post subject: Re: How precious is your VW? Really? Reply with quote

That is a good point. I carry a jack, but no jackstands. Under the car repairs by the side of the road with trucks/lorries shaking the car, only held up by a jack, as they zoom past. I'll have to think about that.
itskyle
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 16, 2016 5:10 pm    Post subject: Re: How precious is your VW? Really? Reply with quote

I've used the removed tire bit under the car ever since I started driving.

Petrol (or gas) is way more costly in the U.K. than here, I understand how it can be stressful for it to be just leaking away.

I had something similar happen to me in my squareback ages ago. If memory serves, I could get underneath and fiddle with it without having to jack (back then I was skinny.)

I happened to have clothespins or golf tees or something to plug the leaky fuel line while I sorted out getting a fuel filter for it. For some reason, it was a metal jobbie underneath the floorpan. Not sure if that was stock or not.

And, appreciate the pics! Nice Ghia!

Glad it worked out for you.

Kyle
74 SuperBeetle Auto Stick (I miss that car)
73 SquareBack, Straight Stick (Wife misses this one.)
VOLKSWAGNUT
Fastest VW Belt Changer

PostPosted: Tue Jul 19, 2016 3:14 pm    Post subject: Re: How precious is your VW? Really? Reply with quote

mcdonaldneal wrote:

What could we have done differently?

Not to seem too droll..

To start.... you could have used a metal cased fuel filter..

Continues to amaze me.. spend thousands of dollars on a cars reconditioning .. and use 10 cent fuel filter.

I think you did what any of us would do... use what you have to deal with a situation..

Bottom line no set rules in an emergency..

Slim chance it would burst into flames.. unless provoked.
Gasoline.. the liquid is not what to worry about.. .. the fumes are what ignites.
Having a proper fire extinguisher at the ready is probably top priority with a fuel leak.

Vehicle Advice 101 ...
Always have some basic tools accessible... and within those have a pair of locking pliers ... preferably needle nose style. ... they work great to quickly pinch off a leaking hose... (fuel, trans, coolant, heater ,etc)

When (not if) I was in the same predicament albeit with a Beetle and its original style cloth braided fire hose failure ..which I no longer will use.. on ANYTHING.. ..

I unbolted the tank.. lifted and propped it up and dealt with the leak.
Ghia is obviously not as easy..

Well done

Advice
FWIW.. there are much better materials available today than the "German" cloth fuel hose style of the 30's .

I refuse to use it..

Glad to see someone else does too.

Yes spare wheels .... and metal toolboxes will make a quick jack stand for light cars. .. just remember to get the tools out first.. Laughing

Precious???
Think Confused
If one my VW burst into flames.... Id probably just let it burn.. and possibly be fanning the flames.. Laughing

Its about the going not the showing
Rebuilt to drive not decorate
WANTED: Local Eatin' Joints, Triple D for TheSamba contributions here http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=570510
Search "VOLKSWAGNUT" on YouTube since you cant watch a "certain" BELT change video round here
Usually and often edited
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> General/Chat All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: