Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Nice gauge combo!
Forum Index -> 411/412 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Lars S
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 14, 2016 10:15 am    Post subject: Nice gauge combo! Reply with quote

Found this nice gauge combo on the internet (Facebook page for Kummetat Käfer-Tuning), made for a Ghia but the principle could wery well be applied to a 411/412 gauge.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Suzuki T500, -69, Candy Gold, sold Sad
Suzuki K50, -77, Black, daily driver
BMW R69S -69, White, sold Sad
Husqvarna 118cc, -47, Black, Sold Sad
KTPhil Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 14, 2016 10:30 am    Post subject: Re: Nice guage combo! Reply with quote

Wow, what Ghia engine has a 7K redline?!
raygreenwood
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 14, 2016 12:13 pm    Post subject: Re: Nice guage combo! Reply with quote

Nice!
The late Ghia gauges were type 4 part numbers so these should drop right in.

On the other hand.....since I am an industrial and electronic screen printer and have printed many gauges.....I will be in process within this year to make my own tachometer using the guts from a VDO 2"-1/8" tachometer.....but mine will be using original type 4 needles.

Thanks for posting! Ray
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
ClassicCamper
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 14, 2016 9:23 pm    Post subject: Re: Nice gauge combo! Reply with quote

I like that! Especially for the more sporty sedan.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
raygreenwood
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 14, 2016 9:42 pm    Post subject: Re: Nice gauge combo! Reply with quote

Yes.....I do too. I have been planning for a long time to put a tachometer into mine. The VDO 2.125" tach mechanism will slip in with minor mods to the back plate and the removal of the clock mechanism and I will hold it with a band clamp and tab.

The difference is that I will re-use stock needles and hubs from type 4 speedos for the tach needles.
Along with reprinting using the stock number font....I plan to use a green line/redline area similar to a Porsche 356 tach. Looks very factory.

When I get to the point of stripping and redoing base paint and then reprinting faces I will do several.

But....I would have no qualms about buying something like those. They look to be quality parts. Ray
Lars S
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 15, 2016 5:55 am    Post subject: Re: Nice gauge combo! Reply with quote

Found this nice tach in the Gallery, the surrounding ring is wery like the 412 ring in color...it is told to be a T3 Ghia accessory.

Lars S

raygreenwood
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 15, 2016 6:40 am    Post subject: Re: Nice gauge combo! Reply with quote

That one is interesting. I wish I could see the back to get an idea of how it is constructed.
Ray
Lars S
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 15, 2016 7:09 am    Post subject: Re: Nice gauge combo! Reply with quote

Another one...this one is made for a 412 by
http://www.tacho-thomas.de/instrumentevwkfer.htm

Lars S

raygreenwood
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 15, 2016 8:37 am    Post subject: Re: Nice gauge combo! Reply with quote

Thank you for the link!

That is more along the lines of what I will be printing. The difficulty ...or shall I say the most difficult part is finding the correct satin background paint.

I have found a few enamels that are close enough...but to have really perfect gauges I will probably have to re-print the speedometer face as well.

The numbers on mine will be like that as well...double digits X 100.

I will also have tick marks with most common shift point....and I will have green highway drive range bands between 3200 and 4000 and red bands in the 5000 to 6000 range....similar to the tach below (356 style)...but not 7 bands wide....3 bands wide centered on the numerals will be fine and clean.

Ray
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> 411/412 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: