Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

I towed a Beetle home yesterday... wait until you see the tire!
Page: 1, 2  Next
Forum Index -> General/Chat Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
VW Addict Premium Member
Samba Salesman

PostPosted: Thu Jul 14, 2016 8:44 am    Post subject: I towed a Beetle home yesterday... wait until you see the tire! Reply with quote

I towed a beetle home yesterday and didn't think to physically rub my hand on the tires (rear passenger side), but when I was looking at them straight on- they were all up, in the air, and seemed to be OK-- so I hooked a tow bar and towed it home.

Was I ever lucky... this is what I found this morning when I was cleaning the wheels and tires... how it's possible that it didn't blow, or more surprising it holds air and doesn't leak it beyond me... I was lucky I didn't blow it going 65mph towing it on the interstate!

Whoa!

What I could see before I towed it... looks OK, right?
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Looks are deceiving... look at the tread! holy smokes!

KTPhil Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 14, 2016 9:08 am    Post subject: Re: I towed a Beetle home yesterday... wait until you see the tire! Reply with quote

It is possible they looked fine on the lift, but the tread separated during the tow. You might not have heard or felt it.
60ragtop
Bonneville Belt Bitch

PostPosted: Thu Jul 14, 2016 9:09 am    Post subject: Re: I towed a Beetle home yesterday... wait until you see the tire! Reply with quote

yep, that is what I was thinking, happened on the tow home.
Either way, luck was involved
Certified Hunter Wheel Alignment Master Technician 1986

tasb wrote:
I've restored a large number too, but I don't toot my horn quite as loud.

sb001 wrote:
maybe he just snapped cause his car sucked Wink
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
VW Addict Premium Member
Samba Salesman

PostPosted: Thu Jul 14, 2016 9:11 am    Post subject: Re: I towed a Beetle home yesterday... wait until you see the tire! Reply with quote

KTPhil wrote:
It is possible they looked fine on the lift, but the tread separated during the tow. You might not have heard or felt it.

Funny you should mention that!

I recall hauling it home on the interstate and looking in my outside mirror of my truck and noticing something black flew off the back of the car... didn't put two and two together until now! It must have been tire tread! That is some very well-worn tread for it to just come off like that!
iowegian Premium Member
Samba Curmudgeon

PostPosted: Thu Jul 14, 2016 9:17 am    Post subject: Re: I towed a Beetle home yesterday... wait until you see the tire! Reply with quote

VW Addict wrote:

That's either a tiny wheel and tire, or somebody has a HUGE hand. Shocked
VW Addict Premium Member
Samba Salesman

PostPosted: Thu Jul 14, 2016 9:21 am    Post subject: Re: I towed a Beetle home yesterday... wait until you see the tire! Reply with quote

iowegian wrote:
VW Addict wrote:

- Donald Trump and I have the same size hands.
KTPhil Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 14, 2016 10:29 am    Post subject: Re: I towed a Beetle home yesterday... wait until you see the tire! Reply with quote

They were still retreading old tire carcasses back then. Trucks still do, and that's why you see all those rubber tire chunks along the interstates. I don't think any passenger tire company retreads anymore due to liability.
60ragtop
Bonneville Belt Bitch

PostPosted: Thu Jul 14, 2016 10:44 am    Post subject: Re: I towed a Beetle home yesterday... wait until you see the tire! Reply with quote

That tire was just old and not a retread. And that is a myth about retreaded tires. Most tire alligators come from improperly maintained tires Wink
and they don't retread passenger car tires because of the cost.
Certified Hunter Wheel Alignment Master Technician 1986

tasb wrote:
I've restored a large number too, but I don't toot my horn quite as loud.

sb001 wrote:
maybe he just snapped cause his car sucked Wink
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
bvolks
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 14, 2016 12:42 pm    Post subject: Re: I towed a Beetle home yesterday... wait until you see the tire! Reply with quote

KTPhil wrote:
They were still retreading old tire carcasses back then. Trucks still do, and that's why you see all those rubber tire chunks along the interstates. I don't think any passenger tire company retreads anymore due to liability.

There is a place here in the Maritimes that still retreads passenger tires. http://easterntire.ns.ca/
1995 Golf CL
1974 Beetle
1978 Westfalia
Jon Schmid
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 14, 2016 1:24 pm    Post subject: Re: I towed a Beetle home yesterday... wait until you see the tire! Reply with quote

You are indeed lucky. At least now, with 5 fresh tires you will know their age. As for trucks, I believe you cannot use recaps on the front tires. Rear tires and trailers are fair game. Either there are more trucks on the road or recaps are being crappily done/poor tire maintenance as almost every day I see "alligators" especially on the freeways, and I don't drive all that far.
itskyle
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 14, 2016 3:53 pm    Post subject: Re: I towed a Beetle home yesterday... wait until you see the tire! Reply with quote

Jon Schmid wrote:
You are indeed lucky. At least now, with 5 fresh tires you will know their age. As for trucks, I believe you cannot use recaps on the front tires. Rear tires and trailers are fair game. Either there are more trucks on the road or recaps are being crappily done/poor tire maintenance as almost every day I see "alligators" especially on the freeways, and I don't drive all that far.

Ok, I'm hijacking the thread a little bit...

Perhaps people aren't as diligent at cleaning up their mess nowadays (tire alligators on the side of the road) as they did back in the day.

Also, just positing this. perhaps the tires were over inflated?

Kyle
74 SuperBeetle Auto Stick (I miss that car)
73 SquareBack, Straight Stick (Wife misses this one.)
Cusser
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 14, 2016 4:31 pm    Post subject: Re: I towed a Beetle home yesterday... wait until you see the tire! Reply with quote

We've had about six tires explode on the Arizona interstates, at least half were Michelins under 1 year old for which the tire pressures were checked the same day. One had 3-inches only on each rim side, the metal of the wheel was visible; drove 3 miles on shoulder on the metal rim to lighted place to change tire (rim was still usable).

Last time it happened to me, was similar to the posted photos, did not deflate.
1970 VW (owned since 1972) and 1971 VW Convertible (owned since 1976), second owner of each. The '71 now has the 1835 engine, swapped from the '70. Second owner of each. 1988 Mazda B2200 truck, 1998 Frontier, 2014 Yukon, 2004 Frontier King Cab. All manual transmission except for the Yukon. http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=335294 http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=335297
busdaddy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 14, 2016 4:49 pm    Post subject: Re: I towed a Beetle home yesterday... wait until you see the tire! Reply with quote

Cusser wrote:
We've had about six tires explode on the Arizona interstates, at least half were Michelins under 1 year old for which the tire pressures were checked the same day. One had 3-inches only on each rim side, the metal of the wheel was visible; drove 3 miles on shoulder on the metal rim to lighted place to change tire (rim was still usable).

Last time it happened to me, was similar to the posted photos, did not deflate.

Time for a new tire pressure gauge it seems Wink

Please don't PM technical questions, ask your problem in public so everyone can play along. If you think it's too stupid post it here
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!

Слава Україні!
Glenn Premium Member
Mr. 010

PostPosted: Thu Jul 14, 2016 4:52 pm    Post subject: Re: I towed a Beetle home yesterday... wait until you see the tire! Reply with quote

VW Addict wrote:
iowegian wrote:
VW Addict wrote:

- Donald Trump and I have the same size hands.

Trump is always over compensating. I'll leave it at that.

Member #1009

#BlueSquare
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
gt1953
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 14, 2016 5:20 pm    Post subject: Re: I towed a Beetle home yesterday... wait until you see the tire! Reply with quote

That is one of my pet peeves when I look at vehicle I am interested in purchasing, tires. If they are beyond my personal date code it is an automatic discount of 350 bucks off the asking price.
You are vey lucky.

72 type 1
72 Squareback
({59 Euro bug, 62, 63, 67, 68, 69, 73 type ones 68 & 69 type two, 68 Ghia all sold})
itskyle
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 14, 2016 5:25 pm    Post subject: Re: I towed a Beetle home yesterday... wait until you see the tire! Reply with quote

gt1953 wrote:
That is one of my pet peeves when I look at vehicle I am interested in purchasing, tires. If they are beyond my personal date code it is an automatic discount of 350 bucks off the asking price.
You are vey lucky.

Worse would be brand new without receipt that are the wrong size.

don't ask me how I know this...
74 SuperBeetle Auto Stick (I miss that car)
73 SquareBack, Straight Stick (Wife misses this one.)
Jon Schmid
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 14, 2016 8:58 pm    Post subject: Re: I towed a Beetle home yesterday... wait until you see the tire! Reply with quote

itskyle wrote:
Jon Schmid wrote:

Ok, I'm hijacking the thread a little bit...

Perhaps people aren't as diligent at cleaning up their mess nowadays (tire alligators on the side of the road) as they did back in the day.

Also, just positing this. perhaps the tires were over inflated?

Kyle

In SoCal apparently it's OK to leave whole sections of cars at the side of the road for days+. Also ladders, BBQ's, you name it. It takes weeks for Caltrans or whoever to clean up crap out here. So tire debris is a low priority job, although apparently so is everything else. At least large roadkill isn't a problem out here.
wcfvw69 Premium Member
Samba Purist

PostPosted: Thu Jul 14, 2016 10:18 pm    Post subject: Re: I towed a Beetle home yesterday... wait until you see the tire! Reply with quote

I don't know if I missed it but did you get the manufacture date code off that separated tire?

I'm curious as to how old it is?

Decades of VW and VW parts restoration experience.
The Samba member since 2004.

**Now rebuilding throttle bodies for VW's and Porsche's**
**Restored German Bosch distributors for sale or I can restore yours**
**Restored German Pierburg fuel pumps for sale or I can restore yours**
**Restored Porsche fuel pumps or I can restore yours**
**Restored Porsche distributors or I can restore yours**
16CVs Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 15, 2016 11:12 pm    Post subject: Re: I towed a Beetle home yesterday... wait until you see the tire! Reply with quote

Can't be that bad, it got you home.

Stacy
Samba member # 14980
Call anytime number 650 722 4914 .
Keep Your van running and upkept tastefully for the love of the hobby.
Don't let your van end up in an "abortions" thread.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
andk5591
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 16, 2016 5:47 am    Post subject: Re: I towed a Beetle home yesterday... wait until you see the tire! Reply with quote

I laughed.....we hauled home a Super a few months ago - the garage it was in was pretty dark and had to squeeze around to get air into the passenger side tires. Hooked it up and off we went - drove maybe 5 miles and stopped to check the tires since one looked a little low......Pretty much the same as yours....My wife was sweating bullets the remaining 25 miles to the shop....Yeah - recaps don't seem to hold up real well after sitting flat after 20 years Laughing
"John's car" 64 VW woodie - The first ever
Maxine 61 Cal-look bug - Cindy's daily driver.
Max - 73 standard Beetle hearse project - For sale
66 bug project - Real patina & Suby conversion
There's more, but not keeping them...
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> General/Chat All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: