Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Tales from the Bulli Klinik
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Forum Index -> Split Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Bulli Klinik
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 19, 2016 4:20 pm    Post subject: Re: Tales from the Bulli Klinik Reply with quote

[quote="srfndoc"]
Bulli Klinik wrote:
Though I love the Dormo top, I don't want that for this Bus. Dormies don't have the best hold-downs and I've noticed how much it moves around up there on rough roads. I've got some pretty significant wear through the paint where the seals meet the roof of my Bus. Granted, this took 40 years to accomplish, but I want something a little more secure.

I like how the small pop-tops secure with the rubber hold-downs. I know where I can get one, but I don't want to install it unless they were available during that era. I don't recall a small hatch with a small top.

All I really want an elevated roof for is to be able to stand up and change.

Ever since I drove a high-roof, I've wanted to build something like this:

Small poptop started with the SO42/SO44 in 1965. That said, since this is a custom setup go for it. Or better yet, do one of the larger Bay Westy poptops:

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

I know this Bus and met the owner last year during the Medano Muster event. Cool, functional Bus.

The reason I was talking about the SO-42 top is that I sold one for cheap to a local last year and I know he didn't use it.
Colorado Springs
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Bulli Klinik
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 19, 2016 4:26 pm    Post subject: Re: Tales from the Bulli Klinik Reply with quote

mandraks wrote:
Bulli Klinik wrote:
Though I love the Dormo top, I don't want that for this Bus. Dormies don't have the best hold-downs and I've noticed how much it moves around up there on rough roads. I've got some pretty significant wear through the paint where the seals meet the roof of my Bus. Granted, this took 40 years to accomplish, but I want something a little more secure.

I like how the small pop-tops secure with the rubber hold-downs. I know where I can get one, but I don't want to install it unless they were available during that era. I don't recall a small hatch with a small top.

All I really want an elevated roof for is to be able to stand up and change.

Ever since I drove a high-roof, I've wanted to build something like this

If you are going to do it, you have to do the clinomobil with the windows up high. for privacy, and the ability to see what is going on when you are standing up.

if i remember correctly, high-roof panels include a lot of instructions like: make from part #xyz

I dig Clinomobiles. My buddy had one that I was able to check out in detail years ago. Not sure if you know, but those Buses are double walled on the inside. Metal panels welded in.

I like the idea of the windows up high. Standing and being able to look out the windows on the Dormobile top is one of it's coolest features.

I'd like to see some close up shots of the inside of a high-roof. From what I remember, the doors were extended but I don't recall if the vertical pillars were one contiguous piece or they were made up of standard pillars and extended. Either way, I don't think that it would be too big of a deal tooling up to make the verticals and horizontals. The toughest part would be the corners.
Colorado Springs
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Bulli Klinik
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 22, 2016 9:21 am    Post subject: Re: Tales from the Bulli Klinik Reply with quote

I haven't had the Bus delivered, yet. In the meantime, I modified a rack that I made for a Ghia vert into a little nest for the Bulli carcass.

Colorado Springs
Bulli Klinik
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 22, 2016 9:27 am    Post subject: Re: Tales from the Bulli Klinik Reply with quote

I also picked up a couple of beams from my friends at http://www.carswcharacter.com/
Unfortunately, the 68/69 beam that I grabbed out of the yard looks to be un-salvageable. I didn't notice all the rust when I picked it up. If it was just the outer skins, that would be OK. But the rust penetrates the tubes. Bummer.

So, still looking for a beam. Locals??? I'm thinking that I would like to go the early Bay route and install the late model spindles and brakes. I'm not especially particular though. Late K&L will work as well.
Colorado Springs
Manfred58sc
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 22, 2016 4:35 pm    Post subject: Re: Tales from the Bulli Klinik Reply with quote

pm or call me...
cdollar
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 27, 2016 7:32 pm    Post subject: Re: Tales from the Bulli Klinik Reply with quote

I know Pagosa Springs isn't quite local, but if Manfred doesn't have what you need I have a bay beam with later bay disc setup that I just pulled from my 58 westy (installed a stock LP split bus beam). It's 95% complete, but I know some parts need replacement. I can give you more details if you're interested.

Oh... And I vote custom highroof! I'd love to see you document a build like that here!
Bulli Klinik
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 28, 2016 7:12 am    Post subject: Re: Tales from the Bulli Klinik Reply with quote

Thanks for the offer!

I'm leaning towards custom hi-roof too. It would be a lot of work, but it's going to be a keeper for me.
Colorado Springs
Bulli Klinik
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 01, 2016 8:33 am    Post subject: Re: Tales from the Bulli Klinik Reply with quote

I build Buses with a little help from my friends!

Big thanks to Manfred for the lead and help in getting a 68 beam for the project! It was a fun day at the secret stash.

I also picked up a set of hubs and spindles for a late, Bay disk brake setup from my friends at Cars with Character.

Slowly but surely getting all the parts I want to use together for this Bus.
Colorado Springs
Bulli Klinik
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 01, 2016 8:40 am    Post subject: Re: Tales from the Bulli Klinik Reply with quote

My buddy, Wayne, came out from Florida for the Buses at the Brewery event that we've been hosting for the last 10 years. He's been trimming down his stash of parts due to a move and uber-generously donated some parts to the project.

My Bus now has a face!

He also donated a decklid from his 67 Westy that once caught fire and a parcel tray. Massive thanks, Wayne! I'll be thinking of you every time I'm driving.

I still don't have the Bus back at the shop, but it's coming soon!
Colorado Springs
Manfred58sc
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 01, 2016 6:36 pm    Post subject: Re: Tales from the Bulli Klinik Reply with quote

Working on a parts bundle for you as well, if you decide to go later bay I also have the proper frame upgrades (we did that to the MTN. Bus last year). Nice donate on the nose, rock those fried eggs!
novetti
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 01, 2016 9:31 pm    Post subject: Re: Tales from the Bulli Klinik Reply with quote

CaLiBus wrote:

Is this for real?

I would like to see the path of that hydraulic cylinder from the closed to the open position Shocked
Manfred58sc
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 02, 2016 6:40 am    Post subject: Re: Tales from the Bulli Klinik Reply with quote

Die,monster,die. That's just awful, it would look better w/o doors than that set up!
Bulli Klinik
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 02, 2016 7:23 am    Post subject: Re: Tales from the Bulli Klinik Reply with quote

Manfred58sc wrote:
Working on a parts bundle for you as well, if you decide to go later bay I also have the proper frame upgrades (we did that to the MTN. Bus last year). Nice donate on the nose, rock those fried eggs!

I'd like to do the T1, IRS trans with the modified Bay trailing arm setup. Early spring-plates to mate up to the later trailing arms with late brakes so that it matches the front. I'd like to have a little consistency with the braking arrangement, like 'all 78 brakes'. Parts counter guys are confused enough...

I really liked the IRS setup in my in my old, 59. I just want to be able to change tires without using a bottle jack to drop the spring plate.
Colorado Springs
Bulli Klinik
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 02, 2016 7:46 am    Post subject: Re: Tales from the Bulli Klinik Reply with quote

I'm still on the hunt for a small, rear hatch and front doors. I'd really like to hold out for some from a 67, due to the thicker metal used in the frames that year. Did Gerson start making doors, yet?

Question:

What year did they change from the earlier, pointy dash pod, to the later, more rounded design?
Colorado Springs
Bulli Klinik
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 09, 2016 8:48 am    Post subject: Re: Tales from the Bulli Klinik Reply with quote

A journey of a thousand miles begins with a single step...

Though I still don't have the bulk of the Bus at the shop, I figured that I would dig into what I have.

The nose has some pretty serious rust in the lower sections of the skin as well as the structure below. I removed the skin by drilling out the spot welds at the base of the window frame and the A-pillar flanges.

Colorado Springs
Bulli Klinik
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 09, 2016 8:51 am    Post subject: Re: Tales from the Bulli Klinik Reply with quote

As the lower flange was rusty and needed replacement, I ground through the flange and cut the lower part of the nose away below the support flange welded below the nose.

Here's the tools I used to remove the nose skin.

Colorado Springs
Bulli Klinik
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 09, 2016 8:57 am    Post subject: Re: Tales from the Bulli Klinik Reply with quote

To remove paint, I use this stripper exclusively. It's up to almost $70.00/gallon at my local paint supply store, but it's the most effective stripper I've used. You're wasting money and time with the cheap stuff.

I like to score the surface prior to applying.

This stuff works!

Colorado Springs
Bulli Klinik
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 09, 2016 9:03 am    Post subject: Re: Tales from the Bulli Klinik Reply with quote

I used the back of the panel to pull an accurate template of the V in the lower section of the nose.

Also marked out the location of the side flanges.

This was transferred to some MDF, which I cut to shape with a jigsaw. A little bit of sanding and it was time to run a test panel.

Colorado Springs
Bulli Klinik
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 09, 2016 9:10 am    Post subject: Re: Tales from the Bulli Klinik Reply with quote

I blocked the edges in with a re-shaped hammer head as a corking tool and stretched a bit of shape in.

Then I used the template as a guide and stretched the area with my planishing hammer.

Colorado Springs
Bulli Klinik
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 09, 2016 9:12 am    Post subject: Re: Tales from the Bulli Klinik Reply with quote

The shape came out nice, so it's on to make the replacement panel.

Colorado Springs
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Split Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Page 2 of 8

Jump to: