Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Tales from the Bulli Klinik
Page: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Forum Index -> Split Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Bulli Klinik
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 12, 2016 9:02 am    Post subject: Tales from the Bulli Klinik Reply with quote

To fill the void in my heart left by the recent sale of my 59 Panel, I bought another Bus.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

I believe that it's a 63.
Colorado Springs
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Abscate Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 12, 2016 10:44 am    Post subject: Re: Tales from the Bulli Klinik Reply with quote

I think its a 31 1/2.

Great project - GL!!

Popcorn Popcorn Popcorn
mandraks
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 12, 2016 10:52 am    Post subject: Re: Tales from the Bulli Klinik Reply with quote

Bulli Klinik wrote:
To fill the void in my heart left by the recent sale of my 59 Panel, I bought another Bus.

I believe that it's a 63.

halfway to a 15 window conversion

Uli

----------------------------------------
'53 3-Fold Oval, L35 Metallic Blue, looking for a narrow hatch panel
volksaddict
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 12, 2016 12:40 pm    Post subject: Re: Tales from the Bulli Klinik Reply with quote

"No rust, missing some parts" Laughing
Bulli Klinik
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 12, 2016 4:29 pm    Post subject: Re: Tales from the Bulli Klinik Reply with quote

It's quite a mess. I've been looking for something pretty far gone so that I don't feel bad molesting it. This one's been sitting in a salvage yard in Colorado for as long as I've been here, about 91. I remember it being a bit more complete back then.

The plan is to build a camper and maybe a high-roof. Definitely a walk-through. I have a mish-mosh of parts that I'd like to incorporate into it. A nose clip from a friend who passed away a few years back.

I have a dash, an upper, long-side window section out of a Kombi and some other odds and ends. I'm going to need a lot of parts, but they will come in time.

I'm still undecided about front end, trans, etc... My last Bus had a K&L beam turned down one notch with an IRS Beetle conversion and 14" BFG's. It drove really nice, but I'd like it a little higher and easier to change the rear tires.

The basic idea is a functional camper that I can own long term and be able to drive anywhere.

What would you build if you had a clean slate?
Colorado Springs
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
khalimadeath
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 12, 2016 5:38 pm    Post subject: Re: Tales from the Bulli Klinik Reply with quote

This should be a cool frankenbus.

1970 Bus Westfalia
1964 Kombi
scottvw
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 12, 2016 6:04 pm    Post subject: Re: Tales from the Bulli Klinik Reply with quote

Mike....I think you need to call the bus "The Puzzler". Looks like you'll be piecing it together like a puzzle.

Looking forward to seeing you at the Busses at the Brewery!!!!
CaLiBus
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 12, 2016 7:10 pm    Post subject: Re: Tales from the Bulli Klinik Reply with quote

Manfred58sc
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 12, 2016 8:36 pm    Post subject: Re: Tales from the Bulli Klinik Reply with quote

Trail basher for sure, leave the nose red, lift that Bus just a bit, cut out the rear wheel wells for some Jackmans, homemade pipe bumpers. Total street cred. Lowered bus's are so 2005. Oh and maybe a 1/4 roofrack (homemade please) always stacked with firewood and a spare, Stockbeam up front and IRS outback with Bus trans. 2000 T-4 engine with hydraulic lifters and baby webers. You asked....congrats on the new score, if you need a hand give me some notice and I'll come help.
Bulli Klinik
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 18, 2016 8:24 am    Post subject: Re: Tales from the Bulli Klinik Reply with quote

This thing is a Puzzler. I generally try make most of my own panels when restoring a Bus. I realized over the weekend that I don't have anything to pull patterns off of. It's all gone. Looks like Gerson will be putting together a shipment for me.

Lat week I ran into a friend of mine who I know took some panels off of this Bus for his own project. It turns out that he clipped this one and has the nose. Unfortunately, he doesn't want to sell it to me. That would be too easy, right?

The Bus is still out in the junkyard while I figure out a way to get it to the shop. In the meantime, I still trying to figure out what I want to do. Were SO-42 style pop-tops available during the small hatch era? It's going to be a camper. I'd like it to look period and authentic though.
Colorado Springs
mandraks
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 18, 2016 9:32 am    Post subject: Re: Tales from the Bulli Klinik Reply with quote

Bulli Klinik wrote:
The basic idea is a functional camper that I can own long term and be able to drive anywhere.

What would you build if you had a clean slate?

having owned both SO44 westy with westy poptop, and also with Dormy top, there is NOTHING like a dormy top. find one of a bay, they are out there.

the only thing i did not love about the SO44 is that i had to walk around the bus to get in the back. so, yes, walkthrough.

I am a stock height RGB guy, 15 inch wheels too. with good new shocks a stock bus will drive just fine, even tow fine. Konis up front, bilstein gas in the back, or if you like fancy, get some Sachs Niveaulift, self leveling shocks for the rear.

if you camp in it, put a propane gas heater under the bus, driver side because of the exhaust. no room wasted inside.

use the beds in the dormy top for storage while camping, walk around in your bus, even if you are 7 foot tall...

install a trailer hitch and put a box in it to carry all the bulky stuff, like generator and propane tanks, and the spare tire, too. You want the bed as big as possible!

jalousie windows, as many as you can afford, say 5, if you have the tall closet in the back. no need to cut more holes.

add the belly pans, with cutout for propane heater on the driver side. dormy top needs them.

Deepest tint you can get for the dormy windows, and curtains.

led tail lights for survival, some of those new headlights too

awning or even better a modern drive away tent. skirts for the bus if you do winter camping, just doing the sides makes a difference. also keeps the exhaust out from under the bus.

using a generator (get a honda, they are quiet and do not need much fuel, but there are cheap knockoffs) allows you to avoid all the second battery, second generator, inverter, charging bullshit for your phone and computer. Just plug into the generator.

Anyway, you asked Smile

Uli

pyrOman
Fire Master

PostPosted: Mon Jul 18, 2016 12:31 pm    Post subject: Re: Tales from the Bulli Klinik Reply with quote

mandraks wrote:
having owned both SO44 westy with westy poptop, and also with Dormy top, there is NOTHING like a dormy top. find one of a bay, they are out there.

install a trailer hitch and put a box in it to carry all the bulky stuff, like generator and propane tanks, and the spare tire, too. You want the bed as big as possible!

add the belly pans, ... dormy top needs them.

Indeed!!! Razz

My top came out of a '69 phatchick and yes also on the belly pans. A must!!! Positively a hitch, but I suggest a trailer for the stuff like I have. I load the trailer like nobody's business! Keeps less actual weight off the bus and except for the hills, once you get rolling it's much easier on it. Cool
Bulli Klinik
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 18, 2016 5:05 pm    Post subject: Re: Tales from the Bulli Klinik Reply with quote

This is the kind of input that I'm after! A lot of the ideas you guys are suggesting will be incorporated.

As far as finding a Domo top, I don't have to look far. This is my other Bus that I've owned for 20 Years:

Colorado Springs
Bulli Klinik
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 18, 2016 5:33 pm    Post subject: Re: Tales from the Bulli Klinik Reply with quote

Here's some other stuff I have laying around for the build:
Window panel

Hitch

Random Westy table

BN4

Colorado Springs
mandraks
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 18, 2016 5:42 pm    Post subject: Re: Tales from the Bulli Klinik Reply with quote

we are speaking the same language Smile

i had a 68 westy, too, just could not live with the sliding door

Uli

Bulli Klinik
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 19, 2016 8:02 am    Post subject: Re: Tales from the Bulli Klinik Reply with quote

Though I love the Dormo top, I don't want that for this Bus. Dormies don't have the best hold-downs and I've noticed how much it moves around up there on rough roads. I've got some pretty significant wear through the paint where the seals meet the roof of my Bus. Granted, this took 40 years to accomplish, but I want something a little more secure.

I like how the small pop-tops secure with the rubber hold-downs. I know where I can get one, but I don't want to install it unless they were available during that era. I don't recall a small hatch with a small top.

All I really want an elevated roof for is to be able to stand up and change.

Ever since I drove a high-roof, I've wanted to build something like this:

Or this:

Colorado Springs
scottvw
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 19, 2016 8:10 am    Post subject: Re: Tales from the Bulli Klinik Reply with quote

Mike,

I found the front for your bus.
Bulli Klinik
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 19, 2016 2:18 pm    Post subject: Re: Tales from the Bulli Klinik Reply with quote

I would trade him two burros for that cab. A set of doors and I'm done.
Colorado Springs
srfndoc
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 19, 2016 2:30 pm    Post subject: Re: Tales from the Bulli Klinik Reply with quote

Bulli Klinik wrote:
Though I love the Dormo top, I don't want that for this Bus. Dormies don't have the best hold-downs and I've noticed how much it moves around up there on rough roads. I've got some pretty significant wear through the paint where the seals meet the roof of my Bus. Granted, this took 40 years to accomplish, but I want something a little more secure.

I like how the small pop-tops secure with the rubber hold-downs. I know where I can get one, but I don't want to install it unless they were available during that era. I don't recall a small hatch with a small top.

Ever since I drove a high-roof, I've wanted to build something like this:

Or this:

Small poptop started with the SO42/SO44 in 1965. That said, since this is a custom setup go for it. Or better yet, do one of the larger Bay Westy poptops:

mandraks
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 19, 2016 2:32 pm    Post subject: Re: Tales from the Bulli Klinik Reply with quote

Bulli Klinik wrote:

Ever since I drove a high-roof, I've wanted to build something like this

If you are going to do it, you have to do the clinomobil with the windows up high. for privacy, and the ability to see what is going on when you are standing up.

if i remember correctly, high-roof panels include a lot of instructions like: make from part #xyz

Uli

Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Split Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Page 1 of 8

Jump to: