Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Someone died and left me money
Page: 1, 2  Next
Forum Index -> Off Topic Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Red Fau Veh
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 11, 2016 9:31 pm    Post subject: Someone died and left me money Reply with quote

I got an email from a lawyer about a relative of mine that died and he is distributing the estate to the next of kin. Very Happy I mean Sad . So I never met the guy but I had a older half brother from my dads first marriage and he lived in Pennsylvania. Now I don't how much money I am getting because the lawyer said there are expenses first like his cut and some other stuff. Mad But hopefully its a chunk of change, that would be sweet. Anxious
1961 Swivel Seat camper, L345 grey
Touch Nicks Thing wrote:
Swivel Seat panels are for people with no friends Crying or Very sad
busdaddy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 11, 2016 10:08 pm    Post subject: Re: Someone died and left me money Reply with quote

My Nigerian uncle's cousin's nephew's houskeeper's dog left me some money as well, sadly the up front untraceable fees were far more than the actual supposed payout, be very very careful before diving into that pile, not all out of the blue windfalls are as they seem.

I hope it's not a scam, and if that's the case sorry to hear about your relative, but my spidey senses are extra tingly hearing what you describe. likely best to forward it to your lawyer or notary for thier input and help, get some pro's involved.

Please don't PM technical questions, ask your problem in public so everyone can play along. If you think it's too stupid post it here
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!

Слава Україні!
Red Fau Veh
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 11, 2016 10:32 pm    Post subject: Re: Someone died and left me money Reply with quote

Hahaha, it's real, the only question is, is it thousands, or thousands and thousands? I know it's at least thousands. I should buy a bus in honor of the deceased if it's enough. Pray
Touch Nicks Thing wrote:
KTPhil Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 11, 2016 10:53 pm    Post subject: Re: Someone died and left me money Reply with quote

Who is the executor of the estate? The "lawyer" is probably hired by him/her but if you are named then you are entitled to copies of the will or trust.

I would be wary of the lawyer unless he was hired by the executor and you trust the executor completely. And remember, money changes people... and their values.
enjoyther1de
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 12, 2016 4:52 am    Post subject: Re: Someone died and left me money Reply with quote

Red Fau Veh wrote:
Hahaha, it's real, the only question is, is it thousands, or thousands and thousands? I know it's at least thousands. I should buy a bus in honor of the deceased if it's enough. Pray

No better way to honor the departed than in a rusted out unsafe pile. I like your style dude.
OB Bus
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 12, 2016 6:52 am    Post subject: Re: Someone died and left me money Reply with quote

Unless the lawyer is asking for funds upfront consider this found money. In terms of asking for a copy of the will the laws are different in every state. Have you Googled this long lost half brother?

Someone notable said: "You never really know someone until you share an inheritance with them."

We were fortunate in the inheritance game. On one side there were no issues or disputes. On the other side there was but one heir and it is hard to battle with yourself.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
jspbtown
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 12, 2016 7:07 am    Post subject: Re: Someone died and left me money Reply with quote

Be careful with this....be very very careful.
williamM
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 12, 2016 7:19 am    Post subject: Re: Someone died and left me money Reply with quote

I have "checkmate"- pm me his name age and state n can find out about the lawyer, his dog and girl friend.

opinion untempered by fact is ignorance.

Don't step in any!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
iowegian Premium Member
Samba Curmudgeon

PostPosted: Tue Jul 12, 2016 7:24 am    Post subject: Re: Someone died and left me money Reply with quote

I think the lawyers should get all of the money. They have a lot of student loans to pay and they can't all start class-action law suits.
Red Fau Veh
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 12, 2016 8:34 am    Post subject: Re: Someone died and left me money Reply with quote

KTPhil wrote:
money changes people...
There is no will and I agree it changed me, I went from pretty good to damn stoked in minutes!

enjoyther1de wrote:

No better way to honor the departed than in a rusted out unsafe pile. I like your style dude.
See that's exactely what I was thinking, I could name it Bill.

jspbtown wrote:
Be careful with this....be very very careful.
I will be very carefull, I will get under the bus and check for rust before I buy it. Very Happy
Touch Nicks Thing wrote:
Erik G
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 12, 2016 8:47 am    Post subject: Re: Someone died and left me money Reply with quote

remember to save some for taxes
Red Fau Veh
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 12, 2016 8:57 am    Post subject: Re: Someone died and left me money Reply with quote

Erik G wrote:

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Touch Nicks Thing wrote:
EverettB Premium Member
Administrator

PostPosted: Tue Jul 12, 2016 9:33 am    Post subject: Re: Someone died and left me money Reply with quote

Erik G wrote:

It sounds like there isn't an inheritance tax in AZ:
http://www.fool.com/personal-finance/taxes/2015/04/30/inheritance-tax-9-things-you-need-to-know.aspx
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
VWKDF
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 12, 2016 9:35 am    Post subject: Re: Someone died and left me money Reply with quote

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.
KTPhil Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 12, 2016 10:17 am    Post subject: Re: Someone died and left me money Reply with quote

Erik G wrote:

Best reason to have a living trust... upon death, property gains a stepped up valuation prior to transfer to heirs, evading capital gains tax.

If you have any property check into this!
Jon Schmid
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 12, 2016 11:18 am    Post subject: Re: Someone died and left me money Reply with quote

KTPhil wrote:
Erik G wrote:

Best reason to have a living trust... upon death, property gains a stepped up valuation prior to transfer to heirs, evading capital gains tax.

If you have any property check into this!

I even have my cars in our living trust. In California one cannot be too careful with probate costs and I want to keep those suckers in the family.
Ace
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 12, 2016 1:39 pm    Post subject: Re: Someone died and left me money Reply with quote

Probate court has to serve you with hearing notices and not in email.form. Get the case number from.the supposed attorney.
Joe Bence
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 12, 2016 2:14 pm    Post subject: Re: Someone died and left me money Reply with quote

If it was real you would not be finding out about it via Email...........

www.facebook.com/JoeBenceEnterprises
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
mark tucker
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 12, 2016 2:41 pm    Post subject: Re: Someone died and left me money Reply with quote

my dad had a trust.....what a mess of shit . I would not but a rusty pos... invest or pay off whatever you owe on. luckely all my stuff was paid off long ago and I wasent expecting any thing but losing dad.
my aunt ( dad's sis) had a pile of $$$$ a big pile at that.dad had been supporting her for many years, but didnt know she had oh so much $$ in many diferent bank's. she had a care taker(neibor) that she left the house to for all the help.she even helped set up the will!!! so..she was only to get the real estate.....yup the estate not just the house but the entire estate and dad got..the funeral bill.(arkensaw lawers&buddys groupe thing) somany ways to get screwed and the screw. dad wasent expecting any thing but to find out there were somany accounts&stocks&everything else and her sister to be so gullable to do what they told her to do saying one thing but in leagul terms it was something else.he was hurt they screwed her not him as he realy didnt need anything. and mom& him had to spend quite a while to get it all done far from home for....scamers that had this all worked out years ago. so be ready for anything.( my sis was expecting a pile of $$ when dad pased.....she got...squat.and oh boy was she pissed.I just laughed about it. but when mom go's....Im in for some real shit to hit the fan as ..gess who is the exzector ...... Cool but she hasent a clue.
vwracerdave
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 12, 2016 6:11 pm    Post subject: Re: Someone died and left me money Reply with quote

You won't be getting a check in the mail until you prove who you are. Until you get a certified letter with paperwork you have to sign, have notarized, and return it's a scam. If he asks for money to process the claim or pay his fees it's a scam.
Featured in Dec. 2001 HOT VW's Magazine page 63

Watch my racing video's http://www.youtube.com/user/okvwracer/videos
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Off Topic All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: