Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

52 Split beetle windows
Page: Previous  1, 2
Forum Index -> Beetle - Split-Window/1938-53 VWs Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
dave1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 13, 2016 1:11 pm    Post subject: Re: 52 Split beetle windows Reply with quote

Hi,

Thanks for the reply. That's disappointing as I had asked the owner several times & he assured me that they were split beetle doors. Can these be converted to take the one piece window?

Thank you
Dave
nlorntson
Crazy VW Lady

PostPosted: Wed Jul 13, 2016 1:20 pm    Post subject: Re: 52 Split beetle windows Reply with quote

Here's a thread to convert a 1 piece back to a vent window door. You can see what hackage is required to do it.

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=514517

Plus of course you'll need all new door guts (regulator, metal window seal channel, door cards, glass, etc.

You'd be better off selling what you have and buying the correct doors I bet.

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=1913453
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
oldbusboy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 16, 2016 7:35 am    Post subject: Re: 52 Split beetle windows Reply with quote

...gulp.

Split doors aren't cheap. I'd run what you have for now and then add the correct doors when you can. Cutting up oval doors seems like a lot of work

Could be worse.. you could be rebuilding a 356:

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=1925524

Trevor
THX 1138
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 16, 2016 10:12 am    Post subject: Re: 52 Split beetle windows Reply with quote

Doesn't hurt to add your location in your profile. You never know who is reading these posts. Someone local may see it and help you out. Most people dont like dealing with shipping large parts. I had some early doors listed here for a while but they didnt sell because I wouldnt ship them. Saw a post from someone needing doors and saw he was local. One PM and a couple days later they were sold.
splitjunkie
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 16, 2016 10:56 am    Post subject: Re: 52 Split beetle windows Reply with quote

HerrLowlight wrote:
...gulp.

Split doors aren't cheap. I'd run what you have for now and then add the correct doors when you can. Cutting up oval doors seems like a lot of work

Could be worse.. you could be rebuilding a 356:

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=1925524

Trevor

This. No crime running what you have until something comes along unless you are planning on painting that car now.

You know, a lot of these scratches will buff right out... Jerry Seinfeld
dave1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 26, 2016 3:37 pm    Post subject: Re: 52 Split beetle windows Reply with quote

Hi Guys,

can you view these doors & let me know if they are split beetle doors. I have been offered these doors to purchase with a high price tag
thank you for your help Dave

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

splitjunkie
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 26, 2016 4:10 pm    Post subject: Re: 52 Split beetle windows Reply with quote

dave1 wrote:
Hi Guys,

can you view these doors & let me know if they are split beetle doors. I have been offered these doors to purchase with a high price tag

The first one on the left side of the car is a split door.

The second one appears to be a later door that would have had vent wings.. It might be a later replacement part that is a split door but has later details. This was pretty common for VW to have later details on a part made to fit an earlier car. In the case of this door, the differences of the inner pressing would be covered by the door panel so as long as it fit and was setup at the factory for a one piece glass then it would been a functional equivalent. It could also be a later door that was modified for one piece glass. Either way the price should reflect the difference in the doors.

You know, a lot of these scratches will buff right out... Jerry Seinfeld
dave1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 31, 2016 5:57 am    Post subject: Re: 52 Split beetle windows Reply with quote

Hi Guys,
Thank you for all your help. I have decided to purchase the doors on show & sell the ribbed oval doors
Dave
dave1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 11, 2016 4:26 pm    Post subject: Re: 52 Split beetle windows Reply with quote

Hi

thought I'd share a few pictures of my new split doors with original door panels that were covered. Don't look to bad, back ones were also covered & look good

Dave
Undis
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 11, 2016 10:37 pm    Post subject: Re: 52 Split beetle windows Reply with quote

Hi Dave,

You've probably noticed by now that the inner door handle position on your R/H Oval door does not match the hole in the split door panel. The handle on split door is just a tad higher than on the oval.
dave1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 02, 2016 1:50 pm    Post subject: Re: 52 Split beetle windows Reply with quote

I had a look at the R/H door today & the door handle location has slotted holes for up & down adjustments. Can I elongate the slots to get the handle to sit into a better higher position without jeopardising the door handle mechanism & operation
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - Split-Window/1938-53 VWs All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: