Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Deck lid spring and wiper arm question
Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
type1vwjapan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 28, 2016 9:23 pm    Post subject: Deck lid spring and wiper arm question Reply with quote

I have a 1967 Australian bug (US equilavent of a 63 or 64 Bug, has the smaller Windows)

It is running an original oval deck lid that is in superb condition which is a light mod that looks quite nice I think.

When I bought it didn't have a deck lid spring installed so I asked the shop to install one. It worked fine up until a couple of months ago, as seemed to loose tensions and wouldn't stay open all the way.

So, I finally had the time to inspect it last week and it has a, correct me if I'm wrong, '65 and later two unit spring installed. It seems alright but it seems like it's an original spring and is just wore out.

Then I ordered a 56 - 64 one piece deck lid spring earlier this week from WW. Seems like it's a great quality repro.

However, I finally gave up trying to install it last night even after reading up and watching several helpful videos. I did find one more technique I'm going to try later on though, the loosening 3 bolts one from Rob and Dave's page.

The spring just seems to have so much tension and I couldn't for the life of me get it to push down far enough to bolt it on. I'm sure the spring orientation was correct too.

Is there any difference between the earlier spring like I ordered and the '65 and later two piece units?

Are the pretty much interchangeable?

The brackets and C slot the spring slides into seem like they're in good shape, so I don't think I have an issue there.

Also, my wiper arm bolt head (the small 6mm one that comes with the wiper arm when you purchase them that holds it to the wiper shaft that sticks out the body of the car) broke off!! The old wiper arm is now stuck on.

Any ideas on how to get it off easily? Even if I wiggle the arm back and forth, it doesn't budge. It's still stuck on good.

Thanks for all the help as always!
raul arrese
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 29, 2016 5:13 am    Post subject: Re: Deck lid spring and wiper arm question Reply with quote

Decklid springs are always hard to install , intall the two ends in the holes first then with 2 hands push the other hook into place, the wiper problem seems like your gonna have to soak it with crc or something and little by little work it loose.
" 2013 Lakeland Classic Best of Show "
" 2014 Show and Shine , First in class "
"
Like my facebook https://www.facebook.com/pages/Raul-Arrese-custom-fabrication-and-performance/1832968110262608
type1vwjapan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 29, 2016 6:16 am    Post subject: Re: Deck lid spring and wiper arm question Reply with quote

Thanks! Got the wiper arm off with some penetrating oil and a 5mm drill bit! I soaked it in oil for a about 20 mins and then hit the center of the bolt with a drill bit. Came off in about 5 minutes of good solid drilling. Eventually chewed and weakened the bolt enough to just twist it right off effortlessly. Love this site, thanks!

Now to tackle that stubborn spring...
rcooled
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 29, 2016 12:33 pm    Post subject: Re: Deck lid spring and wiper arm question Reply with quote

raul arrese wrote:
Decklid springs are always hard to install...

Here's a neat little trick that'll make it an easy one-person job:
https://youtu.be/04dSGwAssRA
'69.5 Ghia convertible and
'62, '63, '65, '69 Bugs (all long gone)
type1vwjapan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 30, 2016 5:33 am    Post subject: Re: Deck lid spring and wiper arm question Reply with quote

Thanks! I tried the YouTube video technique and I must say that is the way to do it! Went on effortlessly in like 10 seconds that way. Very happy with the spring quality and that my deck like now stays up like it did when it rolled off the assembly line.

Love fixing all these little loose ends on these cars and bringing them back to their old glory that they most definitely deserve. Once again, WW is the way to go! Very happy with my wipers too!
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: