Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Bradshaw Trail
Forum Index -> Split Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Braukuche
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 28, 2016 8:54 am    Post subject: Bradshaw Trail Reply with quote

This was posted in reference to another thread, but I find the idea of driving this intriguing, not now when it's hotter then hell out there, but come fall when it cools down. Just wondering if someone has done the whole trail in a bus, how long it took if they camped mid way.

http://www.desertusa.com/desert-trails/bradshaw-trail.html

Retirement is here!
1956 Ghia
1959 SO-23 Westfalia
1960 double cab
1960 Baja Bug
1963 stretched double cab
1962 Golde sunroof Ghia
1963 356 B coupe
1963 Notchback
1967 21 window less rusty now
Zen Mechanic
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 28, 2016 1:05 pm    Post subject: Re: Bradshaw Trail Reply with quote

Roadtrip!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
AS350driver
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 28, 2016 1:15 pm    Post subject: Re: Bradshaw Trail Reply with quote

I have done it, though not in a bus. But I've seen a bay window bus out there and it was making it ok. I'm planning on doing it in my 64 when I get it roadworthy. There's lots of neat places to camp and there's also the Wiley's Well campground about 1/4 of the way through if you're going east to west.
Braukuche
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 28, 2016 3:42 pm    Post subject: Re: Bradshaw Trail Reply with quote

Zen Mechanic wrote:
Roadtrip!

Yeah, that's what I am thinking.
Did a little reading and the main issue they talk about in regards to needing a four wheel drive is the sand, deep and long In stretches. I wonder if it is any worse than the sand you hit when driving out to the mud caves?

Retirement is here!
1956 Ghia
1959 SO-23 Westfalia
1960 double cab
1960 Baja Bug
1962 Golde sunroof Ghia
1963 356 B coupe
1963 Notchback
Zen Mechanic
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 28, 2016 3:53 pm    Post subject: Re: Bradshaw Trail Reply with quote

I read a few trip reports, and most say 2wd all the way, its the side roads and side trips that get "iffy".

I'm up for it, could be a cool trip.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Braukuche
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 28, 2016 6:05 pm    Post subject: Re: Bradshaw Trail Reply with quote

I think I will organize something then for after KQ, sometime in Nov when it's cooled down and before the rains hit.

Retirement is here!
1956 Ghia
1959 SO-23 Westfalia
1960 double cab
1960 Baja Bug
1962 Golde sunroof Ghia
1963 356 B coupe
1963 Notchback
RHD Notch
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 29, 2016 11:38 am    Post subject: Re: Bradshaw Trail Reply with quote

Braukuche wrote:

Did a little reading and the main issue they talk about in regards to needing a four wheel drive is the sand, deep and long In stretches. I wonder if it is any worse than the sand you hit when driving out to the mud caves?

I remember being in a deep sand wash north of Furnace Creek in Death Valley that seemed like it was never going to end. I was in my '79 Jeep CJ7 and had the throttle nearly wide open to keep from sinking...looking back, it would seem impossible for a bus to get through similar terrain.
I have some other projects I'd like to finish first and I want to drive this bus while I'm working on those to help stay motivated.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Split Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: