Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

1960 Brake Light troubles. What am i missing.
Page: 1, 2, 3  Next
Forum Index -> Split Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
matthew henricks
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 28, 2016 6:38 am    Post subject: 1960 Brake Light troubles. What am i missing. Reply with quote

Troubleshooting brake lights on a 60 Single Cab. I have searched and read all the basic posts ion checking connections and how brake switches can be bad.

Brakes worked two years ago but Bus has sat for a while. Time to get on the road but they are not working any more.

Facts.
- Wire harness is good. (Stock Wiring works)
- Tail lights are good and really bright.
- Ground wires direct from tail light housing to ground.
- Turn Signals work although right blinks double time for some reason.
- 3 pin turn Signal.
- 49 to fuse block
- 49a to turn switch and dash pod
- 31 to ground.
- New Brake switch
- Fuses are in tact.

The fiddle.
- Direct cross of brake switch does NOT turn lights on.
- Have pulled off and manipulated:
- All fuses
- Fuse block wire
- Flasher relay ground lug.
- Tail light connections
- Junction between turn signals and rest of bus wires.
-Stock 6 position screw terminal block.
- All terminals on flasher relay.

I thought once i had the brake lights come on with the brake switch shorted after fiddling with the 6 terminal block but i cannot repeat it so i doubt what i saw. Have tried with ignition on and off. My dash pod turn signal light does not flash but i think that is the bulb. All other lights work.

Am i missing a connection somewhere?

My next idea are:
- Bypass the turn switch to see if it is in there somewhere.
- Swap the taillight and brake light lines at the tail light housing to see if the brake side of the bulbs come on with the headlamps.
- Remove 6 position junction and direct tie wires.
- Hard cross brake switch wire at 6 position terminal block direct to each brake light wire.

I have not polished all the connections yet but i fear i am missing something basic.

Matthew
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
dcfies
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 28, 2016 6:54 am    Post subject: Re: 1960 Brake Light troubles. What am i missing. Reply with quote

I also have a '60 SC. I lost my lights when I tried to plug up a trailer. None of the rear lights worked.

Turns out something in the turn signal fried. Replaced it and all lights work fine, now.
EverettB Premium Member
Administrator

PostPosted: Tue Jun 28, 2016 8:41 am    Post subject: Re: 1960 Brake Light troubles. What am i missing. Reply with quote

First thing I thought of:
You didn't say if you are getting power to the brake light switch?
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
matthew henricks
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 29, 2016 5:57 am    Post subject: Re: 1960 Brake Light troubles. What am i missing. Reply with quote

12V confirmed at brake switch (Black/Red wire) and then again at 5 pin turn signal junction. (Black/Red) No 12V coming back out of the junction from the turn switch. (Black/Yellow & Black/Orange)

Note i have independent ground wires screwed into each brake light housing and then routed to the negative side of the battery to eliminate the common grounding issue.

- Ran bypass wires to both tail lights and to the brake switch to confirm continuity. All OK.
- Tied 12V from fuse block directly to lines to brake lamps.
- By itself Passenger side dim and flaky. (Black/Orange)
- By itself drivers side nothing. (Black/Yellow)
- Tied them together on a whim and both worked. Huh????
- Fiddled with the wires at the brake light. Found one ground looser than i would like and hey.... The drivers side bulb contact fell right off the housing. Bingo... so i thought.

- Fixed housing and cleaned all surfaces. Still not working.

Go back to fuse block area. Take all wires out and check each out one by one. Find nothing special BUT.... When put all back together it now works.

So, obvious something flaky somewhere but not sure where. Will see if it still works tonight and test drive tomorrow.

Moral of the story. I don't know. Not sure what i missed Monday that suddenly worked yesterday. Gotta love old VW's.

Matthew
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Eric&Barb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 29, 2016 9:37 am    Post subject: Re: 1960 Brake Light troubles. What am i missing. Reply with quote

Probably loose/corroded connections. Once a load is put on them, the voltage can drop off.

Have you soldered up the internal riveted connections in the fuse box and headlight switch?

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=483901&highlight=fuse+box+soldering

and

http://type2.com/library/electris/vw-hauptlicht-schalter.html
matthew henricks
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 29, 2016 9:51 am    Post subject: Re: 1960 Brake Light troubles. What am i missing. Reply with quote

Hmm.... No but that is a great idea. I also know i am not in the market for tail light housings as the plastic holders for the bulb tanks are all cracked out.

Never ending....
Eric&Barb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 29, 2016 11:13 am    Post subject: Re: 1960 Brake Light troubles. What am i missing. Reply with quote

matthew henricks wrote:
I also know i am now in the market for tail light housings as the plastic holders for the bulb terminals are all cracked out.

Corrected the above. Is that what you meant?
EDragnDean
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 29, 2016 12:57 pm    Post subject: Re: 1960 Brake Light troubles. What am i missing. Reply with quote

brake switch, or turn signal switch. blinking double time is in indication on of the lights are not working. Check your grounds.
73 Thing http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=8111202#8111202
70 BusClick to view image
matthew henricks
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 29, 2016 1:14 pm    Post subject: Re: 1960 Brake Light troubles. What am i missing. Reply with quote

Yes. That is what i meant Eric. (I do not have a pair of German Tanks that i need to replace. haha)

I will check the double time blinking again now that the brake lights appear to work. Will you get double time if the dash bulb is out too?

Matthew
Braukuche
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 29, 2016 2:17 pm    Post subject: Re: 1960 Brake Light troubles. What am i missing. Reply with quote

matthew henricks wrote:
Yes. That is what i meant Eric. (I do not have a pair of German Tanks that i need to replace. haha)

I will check the double time blinking again now that the brake lights appear to work. Will you get double time if the dash bulb is out too?

Matthew

Brake lights and turn signals both go through the turn signal switch on the six wire. Could be corroded contacts in the switch. Try shooting some electrical contact cleaner in there.

Retirement is here!
1956 Ghia
1959 SO-23 Westfalia
1960 double cab
1960 Baja Bug
1963 stretched double cab
1962 Golde sunroof Ghia
1963 356 B coupe
1963 Notchback
1967 21 window less rusty now
Starbucket
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 29, 2016 2:44 pm    Post subject: Re: 1960 Brake Light troubles. What am i missing. Reply with quote

Remove the front and rear bulbs and polish the brass and lead contacts then polish the bulb sockets and contact points (pry out the side ground contact slightly with a thin screwdriver) then put it back together and it should work fine. Sitting for a few years corrodes the sockets/bulbs. Double flash means the relay thinks the opposite bulb on that side is burnt out.
EverettB Premium Member
Administrator

PostPosted: Wed Jun 29, 2016 5:27 pm    Post subject: Re: 1960 Brake Light troubles. What am i missing. Reply with quote

EDragnDean wrote:
brake switch, or turn signal switch. blinking double time is in indication on of the lights are not working. Check your grounds.

If this helps at all:
I have had a rear double blink when a front bulb was out.
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
matthew henricks
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 06, 2019 9:18 pm    Post subject: Re: 1960 Brake Light troubles. What am i missing. Reply with quote

Is it funny or is it just me that when searching for brake light help i find my own thread from 2 years ago on the same topic? Man i forget things.

This is back. Still need some help.

- Have 12V to the brake switch.
- Have continuity between every joint.
- Brake switch to fuse box
- Brake switch to turn switch. (At the 5 screw joint)
- Fuse box to tail light housing.
- New brake light switch.
- Voltage when i press the brake peddle is not 12V across the switch.
- Shorting the brake light switch wires together no 12V past the switch.
- Head lights and turn signals work fine.
- Tail lights work.
- Tail light housing are grounded to the negative battery cable.

I suspect the problem is in the turn signal switch which honestly i do not know how to diagnose.

Any help or threads out there?
Eric&Barb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 06, 2019 9:23 pm    Post subject: Re: 1960 Brake Light troubles. What am i missing. Reply with quote

Check voltage at the turn signal switch.
matthew henricks
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 06, 2019 9:28 pm    Post subject: Re: 1960 Brake Light troubles. What am i missing. Reply with quote

Eric&Barb wrote:
Check voltage at the turn signal switch.

When the peddle is pressed i do not get 12V past the stop light switch. I did not measure the voltage at the turn switch but at the stop switch it drops to about .1V when the peddle is depressed. (Only measured continuity)

tomorrow i can cross the brake switch wires again and measure voltage between the turn switch and the negative battery cable. (Super long wire)
matthew henricks
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 07, 2019 10:12 am    Post subject: Re: 1960 Brake Light troubles. What am i missing. Reply with quote

Voltage measurements.

- 12V from battery ground to Battery positive through my extension cable to confirm my cable works.
- 12V between bat ground and right side of brake light switch.
- Depress brake peddle and voltage drops to .1V
- Jumper both brake light switch terminals together voltage drops to .1V
- Voltage back to turn signal .1V

I noticed when i jumpered the two together that the wire got warm. No fuses have blown.

Again turn signals work. They are different speeds left/right but they work. Head lights and rear running lights work.

Right now i am of the opinion that i did not solve this back in 2016 and forgot and the problem is in the turn signal switch since everything else has continuity and works.

Any guidance?
telford dorr
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 07, 2019 10:31 am    Post subject: Re: 1960 Brake Light troubles. What am i missing. Reply with quote

matthew henricks wrote:
When the peddle is pressed i do not get 12V past the stop light switch. I did not measure the voltage at the turn switch but at the stop switch it drops to about .1V when the peddle is depressed. (Only measured continuity)

tomorrow i can cross the brake switch wires again and measure voltage between the turn switch and the negative battery cable. (Super long wire)

No need for a super long wire. Assuming you have no problem starting the bus, just measure from the brake switch to a good body ground.

Quote:
I noticed when i jumpered the two together that the wire got warm. No fuses have blown.

Sounds like you have a short somewhere downstream of the brake switch. Trace the brake switch wiring and make sure it goes through a fuse and hasn't been creatively bypassed! If so, fix it. Now remove the fuse and connect a headlight bulb across it. If jumpering the brake switch causes the bulb to light brightly, you indeed have a short. Trace the downstream wiring going to the turn switch and find the short. Could be a broken wire at the turn switch itself shorting to something.

Once that's resolved:
This schematic is for a '59. Yours should be similar.
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Check the following (stop when you find a failure):

- power comes from the ignition switch, goes through a fuse, then to the brake light switch. With the key on, verify that you have battery voltage on one side of the brake switch. If not, check the fuse. Give it a spin to polish up its contacts.

- Now have someone press the brake pedal. Verify you have voltage on both sides of the brake switch. If still only one side, bad brake switch. If neither, check the fuse as above.

- find the connector block for the turn signal switch. With the ignition on and the turn switch in the middle position, press the brake pedal and verify you have battery voltage on the black/purple wire, the black/red wire, and black/yellow wire. If you have voltage on only one black/purple wire but nothing on the black/red or black/yellow, then the issue is with the turn switch. Remove it, clean it up, and look for broken wires or burnt contacts. Clean contacts with some 400 grit wet/dry sandpaper.
When you're dead, you don't know you're dead. The pain is only felt by others.
Same thing happens when you're stupid. - Philippe Geluck
More VW electrical at http://telforddorr.com/ (available 9am to 9pm PST)

Last edited by telford dorr on Sun Jul 07, 2019 1:14 pm; edited 5 times in total
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
BarryL Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 07, 2019 10:36 am    Post subject: Re: 1960 Brake Light troubles. What am i missing. Reply with quote

This last post reads like there is a short in the wire that travels from the cold side of the brake light switch to the brake lights. Odd that your turn signal filaments still work with turn signals.

Maybe try running a jumper from the hot side of the brake light switch to the rear of the bus and touch the brake light contact just to see if you can momentarily get them to light. If there is a short in the harness cold side wire then it probably won't work. Don't leave it there a long time.

If it doesn't work then unplug the cold brake light wire at the brake lights and retest with the jumper from the hot side of the brake light switch.
Eric&Barb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 07, 2019 10:40 am    Post subject: Re: 1960 Brake Light troubles. What am i missing. Reply with quote

If you had a short, it should have blown a fuse.

Thinking you have a bad wire or connection up stream of the brake switch that is causing the voltage drop when a electrical load is applied. Try removing the wire at the brake sender going to the TS and TLs. Wire up an electrical load like a spare TL bulb holder with the proper bulb and set it up so both filaments will turn on. Then see if it lights up and how much voltage is getting to the test bulb.
matthew henricks
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 07, 2019 11:59 am    Post subject: Re: 1960 Brake Light troubles. What am i missing. Reply with quote

Thank you guys. Been checking things.

- right and left turn lights work.
- head lights and tail lights work.

This means both sides of the tail light housing and the wiring is good and intact. Also means the bulbs work.

Wire harness is an unmolested wiring works unit.

Pulled out the turn switch and cleaned it. Nothing obviously wrong.

Few items to note.
1. Power to turn switch runs thru flasher but is always tied to fuse box. Not sure that is normal.

2. Factory harness indicates two black/red wires on the turn switch. I have one. Other is black purple.

Still looking.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Split Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: