Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

What the Road Tells Me - cross country drive!
Page: 1, 2, 3 ... 45, 46, 47  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
airschooled
Air-Schooled

PostPosted: Tue Jun 28, 2016 1:52 am    Post subject: What the Road Tells Me - cross country drive! Reply with quote

Hi everyone,

As posted in my bus thread last week, I am going on an indefinite road trip this summer. I will be making my way from San Diego, to the PNW, across the Northern USA, and then into the North East and out in time for winter. (phew!)

My trip preparations, schedule, musings, non-Volkswagen photographs, and more will be shown on my blog:

http://theroadtells.com

The Volkswagen part of the trip will be posted in this thread entirely. Follow along if you'd like; a few people have expressed their positive and negative feelings about this style of travel on here before.

I will not be building nine engines. No fancy YouTube videos. No girls in bikinis holding my pistons and cylinders. Laughing I will be paying for health insurance, NOT be receiving unemployment checks, and DEFINITELY not be starting a Kickstarter campaign! Cool Now that we have that out of the way, I'm sure we can avoid nine pages of political banter, right guys?? (All that being said, if you have actual Volkswagen/yard/house work that you need help with, feel free to solicit my help. I will need to eat eventually…)

I hope to meet some of you out on the road. And if you have any recommendations for waypoints to point me to on the way, please feel free to shoot me PM, post here, or acquire my phone number and text/chat. Nordhoff knows I'll have a lot of free time now without my day job paying me to answer all your Volkswagen questions here……… Razz

See you on the road!
Robbie

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Ernie Punkin
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 28, 2016 2:50 am    Post subject: Re: What the Road Tells Me - cross country drive! Reply with quote

Robbie, your route may be set and time may be limited, but if you are going all the way up to Washington, why not do the PNW justice and really go for it?

If it was my trip I'd be sure to head up past Mt. St. Helens from Portland, Oregon, circle Mt. Rainier counterclockwise after a visit to Paradise and Sunrise in the park. Circle the top of Rainier NP and head west to the coast and circle around the Olympic Penninsula being sure not to miss Sol Duc Hot Springs, Crescent Lake (great hike on the north shore), and Hurricane Ridge. Ferry to Victoria, visit Butchart Gardens, then to Vancouver (great campsite right in downtown!) and head up to Jasper on the super highway - still amazing scenery en-route. Head south from Jasper through Banff using 1A from Lake Louise. If you want to stay at a very special unique place try a 1920's cabin at Storm Mountain Lodge on the continental divide, just minutes from Lake Louise (call ahead for reservations). Head to Banff and take a back route from the Banff/Canmore area down to Waterton Park in lower Alberta. From there head up and over the Road To the Sun in Montana's Glacier Nt. Park and down the EAST side of Flathead Lake into central Montana then hook up with your original eastbound route.

I can see that time might be limited, but the above suggestion ads only 10 days or so if you move fairly steadily, but it gets you into some of the most amazing and mindblowing scenery the west has to offer. Also, you avoid some uncomfortably hot and barren/boring parts of SE Washington and Idaho.

If you want to camp en-route there will be plenty of state parks, national forests and unsupervised rustic camp sites called "rec sites" in BC, all of which you can utilize for little or no money.
Ion Pod Trailer
danfromsyr
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 28, 2016 5:45 am    Post subject: Re: What the Road Tells Me - cross country drive! Reply with quote

I know your outline doesn't include my area,
but if you're in the Central part of Upstate NY (Fingerlakes, Great lake, Adirondacks) drop me/us a line. food/VWs/garage available. it's great up till halloween out here, then snow.

safe travels, and enjoy where the road takes you.
Dan from SYRacuse
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
kooper271
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 28, 2016 6:06 am    Post subject: Re: What the Road Tells Me - cross country drive! Reply with quote

When you make it to Ohio, let me know. Food/garage/help here for you.
wcfvw69 Premium Member
Samba Purist

PostPosted: Tue Jun 28, 2016 6:28 am    Post subject: Re: What the Road Tells Me - cross country drive! Reply with quote

asiab3 wrote:

No girls in bikinis holding my pistons and cylinders. Laughing

Confused

You lost me right there.. I'm out...!

J/k- I'm looking forward to your updates on this thread Robbie. Are you going to be able to meet up w/Colin on your journey? It looks like your travel path should intersect Colin along the way.

Drive safe!

Decades of VW and VW parts restoration experience.
The Samba member since 2004.

**Now rebuilding throttle bodies for VW's and Porsche's**
**Restored German Bosch distributors for sale or I can restore yours**
**Restored German Pierburg fuel pumps for sale or I can restore yours**
**Restored Porsche fuel pumps or I can restore yours**
**Restored Porsche distributors or I can restore yours**
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Zelten
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 28, 2016 6:36 am    Post subject: Re: What the Road Tells Me - cross country drive! Reply with quote

Why skip the most scenic parts of the PNW? Why not take 101 to Olympia then I5 to Seattle to I90?
Stuartzickefoose
Samba Post Whore

PostPosted: Tue Jun 28, 2016 6:37 am    Post subject: Re: What the Road Tells Me - cross country drive! Reply with quote

X2 on the PNW suggestion. Definitely worth hitting the penisula. I'd join you for that!!

2011 Jetta Sportwagen TDi 6 speed manual

206-841-7324
[email protected]
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
richparker
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 28, 2016 6:38 am    Post subject: Re: What the Road Tells Me - cross country drive! Reply with quote

Best of luck Robbie, I'm sure you'll have a blast! I know you're not coming my way but if I can help in any way just ask, I'm sure everyone in thesamba community feels that way. Don't bite all your nails off just yet, July 8th will be here in no time.
’65 Deluxe Build
Abscate Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 28, 2016 7:11 am    Post subject: Re: What the Road Tells Me - cross country drive! Reply with quote

Friggen Millennials. Get back to work and pay my social security checks.

Garage shower driveway tools all at your disposal in upstate NY. Dump your car here for a bit, take train to the Big Apple for a few days.
atmellovw
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 28, 2016 7:28 am    Post subject: Re: What the Road Tells Me - cross country drive! Reply with quote

I have spent most of my adult life putting off adventures until "tomorrow" or "next year" so I admire your initiative... enjoy!
Clatter
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 28, 2016 7:49 am    Post subject: Re: What the Road Tells Me - cross country drive! Reply with quote

I'm up in Santa Cruz.

If you need a pit stop, shower, or spare parts - hit me up!

What’s That Noise?!?
SamboSamba22
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 28, 2016 8:28 am    Post subject: Re: What the Road Tells Me - cross country drive! Reply with quote

Abscate wrote:
Friggen Millennials. Get back to work and pay my social security checks.

Well so far, looks like your able to take about 3 showers!
Safe travels man, look forward to your very detailed and fun photos and stories!

FWIW, there are a lot of bus folks in Missouri and northern Arkansas, if for whatever reason you found yourself driving south during more winter months.
Sam

Oct. ’67 Double Cab (’68 Crew Cab)
[url=http://www.vw-mplate.com/mplate-44412.png]Click to view image[/URL]
March '69 Delivery (Panel Bus)
[url=http://www.vw-mplate.com/mplate-44414.png]Click to view image[/URL]
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Rubber Duck
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 28, 2016 8:40 am    Post subject: Re: What the Road Tells Me - cross country drive! Reply with quote

And they say hippies are smelly and dirty. Way to change the stereotype man. Laughing
Manfred58sc
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 28, 2016 8:50 am    Post subject: Re: What the Road Tells Me - cross country drive! Reply with quote

Looks like a great route! I did lots of work-travel vagabonding in my day (much easier than beg-travel...never got why anyone would resort to that). Future storytelling eagerly awaited.
Marleybus
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 28, 2016 8:54 am    Post subject: Re: What the Road Tells Me - cross country drive! Reply with quote

Popcorn
1981 Vanagon Westfalia (Sold)
1969 VW Beetle Convertible (Wifes)
1977 VW Westy 2.0L FI Chrome Yellow
1978 VW Westy 2.0L FI (Under Restoration)
1973 VW Westy 1.7L Tourist Delivery Orange
Check out my thread!!http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=556709
Xevin Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 28, 2016 9:19 am    Post subject: Re: What the Road Tells Me - cross country drive! Reply with quote

Take the coastal highways in Oregon up to Cannon Beach area then go West to Portland. If I'm around when you are in the area, you know you've got a shower and a room at my place if needed. I'll put you in Stu's room Wink Plus I always have some bus work to supplement your income. Safe travels.

Clatter wrote:
Damn that Xevin... Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy

skills@eurocarsplus wrote:
I respect Xevin and he's a turd Razz

SGKent wrote:
My God! Xevin and I 100% agree Shocked
grandpa pete
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 28, 2016 9:44 am    Post subject: Re: What the Road Tells Me - cross country drive! Reply with quote

Go into a Pilot or Flying J truck stop and buy the $7 small book that lists EVERY truck stop in the US and Canada . Even the smaller ones on state highways .
WHY ?
There is nothing more unnerving to me than seeing the gas guage nearing empty and not knowing how far the next gas is ...this also lets you know how far you can plan on driving to get to a safe place to sleep .
AND
Sleeping in the front 1/2 of the truck stop is an option ; Showers are available for $8 , hotdogs are 2 for $5 Laughing ; Pilot , Flying J and Loves have patrols to keep you safe AND keep the hookers from banging on your vehicle to see if you want to " party " Twisted Evil
PLEASE DO NOT park in the back between the big rigs ; I saw a van get crushed when a big rig backed over it late one night in New Jersey .
If it gets too cold and you go home the southern ( Florida ) route let me know . Very Happy
I am building a Type 6 so that I can do what you are doing when I retire Smile

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=569619&highlight=sedan+delivery
Tcash
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 28, 2016 11:26 am    Post subject: Re: What the Road Tells Me - cross country drive! Reply with quote

Check out Pilot Flying J. Some have RV hook ups and if you can get in a truck lane they have IA (idle air). A removable window adapter, that connects to your window and provides, heating, cooling, standard electric inside and outside their cabs, Satellite TV, Internet.
https://www.idleair.com/

Coming up I5 or 101?

Safe Travels
Tcash
Brian
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Jun 28, 2016 11:48 am    Post subject: Re: What the Road Tells Me - cross country drive! Reply with quote

Take the 101, stop in Santa Rosa for some pliny

'69 Bug
'68 Baja Truck
'71 Bug
'68 Camper

Only losers litter
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Spike0180
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 28, 2016 12:48 pm    Post subject: Re: What the Road Tells Me - cross country drive! Reply with quote

I'd love to grab a beer and help with any repairs/maintainance you have when you get to Detroit! Do you have a timeline of when you will be where, or are you just winging it?

Also, a shower if you need it and can convince my wife that you're not crazy. lol
Other cars: 2003 F150, 2003 Jetta GLI vr6-6sp

Sambastic: adj; the quality of being nit picky, elitist, expecting everyone to do things the way they believe is best with no regard to situation, "sambastic"
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2, 3 ... 45, 46, 47  Next
Jump to:
Page 1 of 47

Jump to: