Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

VW Beetle with 912 Porsche
Forum Index -> Porsche - 911/912/914 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
edwardjackie
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 27, 2016 4:04 pm    Post subject: VW Beetle with 912 Porsche Reply with quote

I have a 1970 VW beetle that has a 912 Porsche engine. My issue is that when it warms up, it dies out at idle, almost like it is getting flooded. I have to floor it to get it started again. I should mention that it has dual DRLA 36 carbs. It has dual points as well, but the vacuum advance is not hooked up. I was thinking maybe the jets are to big, but am not very familiar with Carbs.
Any Ideas?
jt912
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 28, 2016 9:58 pm    Post subject: Re: VW Beetle with 912 Porsche Reply with quote

As usual, the assumption is made you have adjusted the valves and have adjusted the points and timing. This sounds to me like it might be distributor related.
Carr to share your engines # for those of us looking for our original engines?
edwardjackie
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 29, 2016 7:43 am    Post subject: Re: VW Beetle with 912 Porsche Reply with quote

The engine # is 1283736. according to what I could find online, it should be a type 616/39 from around July 1967. I will try replacing the distributor with a bosch with mechanical advance and see if that helps.
Glenn Premium Member
Mr. 010

PostPosted: Wed Jun 29, 2016 8:51 am    Post subject: Re: VW Beetle with 912 Porsche Reply with quote

The 912 never came with a vacuum "advance" distributor, but in 1968 and 1969 it came with the 061 which had vacuum "retard".

If you put a "mechanical" in you need either a 022 or 031. Don't use a VW distributor, they do not have the correct advance or curve.

Dual points... sounds like you have a Mallory, but i've never seen one with dual points and vacuum advance.

Pictures will help.

Member #1009

#BlueSquare
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Starbucket
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 01, 2016 1:41 pm    Post subject: Re: VW Beetle with 912 Porsche Reply with quote

I've run both a Mallory dual point (It has an advance key so you can limit the advance to 18 deg. - 28 deg.) so it is MUCH more tunable than any Bosch, and I ran an 009 before that and it was an improvement over vacuum retard one in my `69 912. I liked the 009 because it had the Pertronx modual in it, but the Mallorys dual points are parallel wired so the set that breaks the connection is not the one that closes it. The points never burn and last forever.
dirtylawnchair
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 22, 2016 1:05 pm    Post subject: Re: VW Beetle with 912 Porsche Reply with quote

Glenn wrote:
The 912 never came with a vacuum "advance" distributor, but in 1968 and 1969 it came with the 061 which had vacuum "retard".

If you put a "mechanical" in you need either a 022 or 031. Don't use a VW

I am running a 022 on my 68 912. She runs fantastic. But for future reference and conversation, do you set the 022 on a 912 engine to 30* max advance like a 010 or 019 on a VW motor?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Glenn Premium Member
Mr. 010

PostPosted: Fri Jul 22, 2016 1:16 pm    Post subject: Re: VW Beetle with 912 Porsche Reply with quote

A 912 engine with a 022 or 031 should be set to 36-38* BTDC @ 3500rpm.

Member #1009

#BlueSquare
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Glenn Premium Member
Mr. 010

PostPosted: Fri Jul 22, 2016 1:17 pm    Post subject: Re: VW Beetle with 912 Porsche Reply with quote

Starbucket wrote:
I've run both a Mallory dual point (It has an advance key so you can limit the advance to 18 deg. - 28 deg.) so it is MUCH more tunable than any Bosch, and I ran an 009 before that and it was an improvement over vacuum retard one in my `69 912. I liked the 009 because it had the Pertronx modual in it, but the Mallorys dual points are parallel wired so the set that breaks the connection is not the one that closes it. The points never burn and last forever.

The 009 has only 22* and the correct distributor, 022 or 031, has 32*. The 009 is not suitable for a 912 engine.

Member #1009

#BlueSquare
Starbucket
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 22, 2016 2:17 pm    Post subject: Re: VW Beetle with 912 Porsche Reply with quote

With todays gas you set it to the point of (pinging) at WOT going up hill, about 30 -32 deg.s or where ever the no ping point is with your compression. I have a big bore kit with shims under the barrels to lower the compression to 9-1 and He runs great on regular unleaded (with "instead of lead" additive) gas at 30 deg.s. Forget the book as it was written in the leaded gas days and will lead to burned pistons and sucked valves with todays weak lo octane unleaded gas.
edwardjackie
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 08, 2016 6:05 pm    Post subject: Re: VW Beetle with 912 Porsche Reply with quote

I also found out today that the pulley may be smaller than the stock size. This may explain why it seems hot to me. Does anyone know the proper size pulley for the 912?
Starbucket
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 09, 2016 7:11 am    Post subject: Re: VW Beetle with 912 Porsche Reply with quote

Should measure 5 3/4" Dia. for a stock pulley.
Kaizer
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 10, 2016 1:16 pm    Post subject: Re: VW Beetle with 912 Porsche Reply with quote

Glenn wrote:

The 009 has only 22* and the correct distributor, 022 or 031, has 32*. The 009 is not suitable for a 912 engine.

Exactly right - the 009 was for a VW and the curve is wrong for a 912 engine.

Also avoid the 050 dizzy - VW only as well.

The correct distributors for a 912:

1) 022 (original for early 912's)
2) 061 (original to the 68 912 with smog)
3) 031 (best for a 912 engine)
4) RS0012 (a recurved 009 that fit the 912 engine very well) - sold by John Benton (bentonperformance.com)

The 022 and 031 are very expensive and may be hard to find.

The RS0012 are much cheaper and cheaper still if you have a 009 for a core.

My '68 912 currently has the 031.

Your carbs also sound like they are not tuned/synced properly.

I had that issue with 40 IDF's when I first got it - especially on WOT.

One side was carrying more of the load than the other and causing heat issues.

A $30 synchrometer can get you a good base reading to confirm.

If you want my $.02....

sell the 912 motor for several grand and buy yourself a built VW motor AND pocket the difference.

912 parts cost an arm and leg - ask me how I know. Wink
'07 VW GLI
WTB: '63 Ragtop Bug

The Bus Company - OEM used parts
Starbucket
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 10, 2016 2:09 pm    Post subject: Re: VW Beetle with 912 Porsche Reply with quote

Have spark plug removal tools and find a place you can give the car WOT up to 40 MPH, turn off the motor (not to the lock position), put in the clutch and stop and remove some plugs and see if they are white (Way too lean), normal (brownish), or black sooty (Way to rich) and you will know if its the jets or timing. I hope the converters made a tight fitting engine compartment sheet metal otherwise you are just sucking heat into the motor from the exhaust system piping/muffler and not getting cool fresh air from outside.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Porsche - 911/912/914 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: