Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

091 mealpart and metal shavings
Page: 1, 2  Next
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
ytsejam82
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 27, 2016 1:30 pm    Post subject: 091 mealpart and metal shavings Reply with quote

I was just changing the bellhousing on my (new to me and untested) 091 gearbox and tapped the oil to find this and metal shavings, anyone recognize where it can be from?

I have a 002 gearbox, how much parts do they share? i think if i can change the part thats failing, all the gears seems to work, without any bad sounds. a little trouble with , i think it is 3/4 but it work.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.
SGKent Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 27, 2016 1:56 pm    Post subject: Re: 091 mealpart and metal shavings Reply with quote

where did you find the piece? Is it magnetic?

ytsejam82
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 27, 2016 2:14 pm    Post subject: Re: 091 mealpart and metal shavings Reply with quote

It is magnetic steel, i i found it on the drainplug
timvw7476
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 27, 2016 2:21 pm    Post subject: Re: 091 mealpart and metal shavings Reply with quote

my guess: cracked portion of a gear selector fork.
SGKent Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 27, 2016 2:36 pm    Post subject: Re: 091 mealpart and metal shavings Reply with quote

I thought the same then compared it to 091 forks and could not match it.

https://weddleindustries.com/products/1000168?=Apply&field_transaxle_type_tid=1000357

It looks cast and the diff carrier and cover are cast but I could not match that either.

Between Weddle and this thread there are lots of 091 photos here. Maybe something will match. http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=630932&highlight=091+rebuild
Wildthings
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 27, 2016 2:45 pm    Post subject: Re: 091 mealpart and metal shavings Reply with quote

Since it didn't blow the tranny apart, I would guess that it might be part of the reverse gear.
SGKent Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 27, 2016 2:47 pm    Post subject: Re: 091 mealpart and metal shavings Reply with quote

After blowing the image up I am thinking it is a what is left of a tooth. Maybe reverse idler or reverse. But I cannot be sure and wouldn't put money on it.

https://weddleindustries.com/products/1000155?=Apply&field_transaxle_type_tid=1000357

Last edited by SGKent on Mon Jun 27, 2016 2:55 pm; edited 2 times in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Wildthings
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 27, 2016 2:54 pm    Post subject: Re: 091 mealpart and metal shavings Reply with quote

If the piece had come from the main part of the gear box it would likely have gone through the gears and torn the crap out of everything. Since the drain plug doesn't really look that bad I am thinking a failure in the reverse gear setup. I have busted them before without damaging the rest of the gear box.
ytsejam82
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 27, 2016 3:48 pm    Post subject: Re: 091 mealpart and metal shavings Reply with quote

I have now looked and i cant find any missing part of any of the three gears i can see at behind the bellhousing Sad

hard to see at picture, but the end thats facing down on table is flat under.
and its not the same on both the long sides, the one we see are wedge shaped and shows wear like it would be a tooth, and the one on the other side i flat.
Wildthings
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 27, 2016 3:52 pm    Post subject: Re: 091 mealpart and metal shavings Reply with quote

Possible a part of one of the slider/hub assemblies?
Tcash
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 27, 2016 4:42 pm    Post subject: Re: 091 mealpart and metal shavings Reply with quote

Maybe part of a slider hub?
Tcash
timvw7476
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 27, 2016 4:49 pm    Post subject: Re: 091 mealpart and metal shavings Reply with quote

that "band" right through the topside of the tooth would seem to make it
a reverse idler gear tooth.
At least it's easily accessible & cheap.
SGKent Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 27, 2016 6:49 pm    Post subject: Re: 091 mealpart and metal shavings Reply with quote

tilt the bell housing up on a 4x4 cause it still has lots of gear oil in it, pull the bell housing and take a look at the reverse idler gear as well as the ring and pinion for damage.
ytsejam82
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 28, 2016 1:38 am    Post subject: Re: 091 mealpart and metal shavings Reply with quote

Found this in the thread, the third gear part, maybe the opening tooth?

Looks very suspicious.
Is it very hard to change it? need special tools?
I have a 5rib 002 and can get a 091 mid shift trom a t3. do they share the part?

Or may it be possible to use the gearbox as is is? (i know very hard question to give an answer to)
Wildthings
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 28, 2016 4:38 am    Post subject: Re: 091 mealpart and metal shavings Reply with quote

ytsejam82 wrote:

Looks very suspicious.
I have a 5rib 002 and can get a 091 mid shift trom a t3. do they share the part?

Or may it be possible to use the gearbox as is is? (i know very hard question to give an answer to)

I will answer your last question. No you can not use the gearbox as it is. You are lucky that the piece didn't blow the gear box apart by getting jambed between the gears. An additional trip around the block is about all you could hope to get out of it as is before complete and utter destruction of the box occurs.

In general people do not attempt to service their own VW gear boxes.
SGKent Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 28, 2016 7:15 am    Post subject: Re: 091 mealpart and metal shavings Reply with quote

You would need about $2000 USD in special tools and at least another $1500 USD in parts to rebuild it properly. When I rebuilt mine http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=630932&highlight=091+rebuild I had rebuilt many other gearboxes before, and three or four people who rebuild the 091 for a living coached me for which I am very thankful. I think you should look for another gearbox.
Tcash
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 28, 2016 8:48 am    Post subject: Re: 091 mealpart and metal shavings Reply with quote

ytsejam82 wrote:

Looks very suspicious.

3-4 Slider hub, that is what I thought.

Yes and Yes

I have a 5rib 002 and can get a 091 mid shift from a t3.
The 002 Slider has a different part number so no.
https://weddleindustries.com/products/1000170/1000771
https://weddleindustries.com/products/1000170/1001022

The 091 might have the same slider.
Post the codes off both transmissions.
Or pm
Daniel G
gears

Trans Code location
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=7668732#7668732

Good luck
Tcash
ytsejam82
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 30, 2016 2:09 am    Post subject: Re: 091 mealpart and metal shavings Reply with quote

Ok another box it is then :/
Is it possible to change the diff "easy" is there different gear ratio on the diff or whats it called?

Thanks for advice!
sodbuster
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 30, 2016 7:43 am    Post subject: Re: 091 mealpart and metal shavings Reply with quote

Glad you all sussed it out. that is a common failure with the 091 transaxle. It's seen mostly on the 3rd and 4th gear selector hub, and the break occurs at one or more of the three slots for the selector "dogs". the pics below show the exact areas these parts break. good lucj with the repair.

Wildthings
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 30, 2016 8:26 am    Post subject: Re: 091 mealpart and metal shavings Reply with quote

If you have a 2.0L or a really good running 1.8L engine then the stock gearing in a 091 works very well. If you have a 1.7L then the 091 gearing may be too long to give you acceptable performance.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: