Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

The joys of being mechanically handy...
Page: 1, 2, 3  Next
Forum Index -> Off Topic Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
jspbtown
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 27, 2016 8:11 am    Post subject: The joys of being mechanically handy... Reply with quote

Two weekends ago:
Neighbor calls in a panic. They are going to be heading out on vacation and the right front caliper on there F150 keeps locking up. Head over to their barn and replace the caliper and front pads/rotors while I am at it.

Last weekend:
Brother-in-law comes back from vacation and his front caliper is locking up on his F150. They call complaining of poverty since their child just finished her freshman year in college (they chose not to save and put all their eggs in the "scholarships" basket). Off to his house to replace the caliper, hose, and pads. Oh...and while I am there they were told they needed a new serpentine belt on their Rogue...could I install it? Oh...and how much would brakes cost for the Rogue? That looks like the end of the summer while they save up for them.

This weekend:
Sister wants to know if I can change the oil on her Harley. "Ever do an oil change on a Harley before?" she asks. Nope..but bring it over I tell her. Then when she gets there she has new locks for the saddle bags, a USB port thing to be installed and wired and oh yes....some new footpegs. I get her out of the garage and my parents stop over for their oil change (I do not mind doing this at all). I give their car a quick vacuum and interior detail since they are 80 and don't keep it that clean.

I am hoping that this stuff maybe paves the way for a better afterlife. I know I need any help I can get. Evil or Very Mad
olspeed
Samba Member

Location: In the shadow of Denali, I still don't give a damn how they do it outside

PostPosted: Mon Jun 27, 2016 9:11 am    Post subject: Re: The joys of being mechanically handy... Reply with quote

So where can I send all my Honey Do's, Hey Buddy help and DAD my ___ broke can you fix it. You sound like just the fellow Smile
minger
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 27, 2016 11:41 am    Post subject: Re: The joys of being mechanically handy... Reply with quote

So you're saying F-150s have problems with their calipers?
skills@eurocarsplus
Samba Peckerhead

PostPosted: Mon Jun 27, 2016 11:51 am    Post subject: Re: The joys of being mechanically handy... Reply with quote

jspbtown wrote:

Last weekend:
Brother-in-law comes back from vacation and his front caliper is locking up on his F150. They call complaining of poverty since their child just finished her freshman year in college (they chose not to save and put all their eggs in the "scholarships" basket). Off to his house to replace the caliper, hose, and pads. Oh...and while I am there they were told they needed a new serpentine belt on their Rogue...could I install it? Oh...and how much would brakes cost for the Rogue? That looks like the end of the summer while they save up for them.

my default reply to that is sorry, not my problem. make them work for it like my wife and I did...

my reason for switching to subaru is my german car was turning chinese so i said fuck it and went japanese.......
[email protected] wrote:
most VW enthusiasts are stuck in 80's price land.

Jake Raby wrote:
Thanks for the correction. I used to be a nice guy, then I ruined it by exposing myself to the public.

Brian wrote:
Also the fact that people are agreeing with Skills, it's a turn of events for samba history
jspbtown
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 27, 2016 11:53 am    Post subject: Re: The joys of being mechanically handy... Reply with quote

Yeah..it was weird. Both F150s. Both around the same age. Both were red (if that matters Rolling Eyes ).

It certainly made changing the second one a lot easier.
jspbtown
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 27, 2016 11:55 am    Post subject: Re: The joys of being mechanically handy... Reply with quote

Quote:
my default reply to that is sorry, not my problem. make them work for it like my wife and I did...

Yes..it was very tempting considering they just got back from a week on the Cape.

When I was saving for my son's college I didn't take a boat load of vacations.
Jon Schmid
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 27, 2016 12:59 pm    Post subject: Re: The joys of being mechanically handy... Reply with quote

It's like owning a pickup truck. You suddenly become real popular when people want to move, get heavy stuff or lumber, etc. etc. Then when YOU need help, they all mysteriously vanish. I get around this now because I have a shell on my truck which I ain't taking off. Now my son has a pickup...hmmm... Wink
wcfvw69 Premium Member
Samba Purist

PostPosted: Mon Jun 27, 2016 1:33 pm    Post subject: Re: The joys of being mechanically handy... Reply with quote

I've noticed SOME folks want to take advantage when they know you can fix stuff, especially for free. I've become my gals full time mechanic for her two early 20 something daughters. Brake jobs, window regulator repairs, bodywork and repaint on one of their cars after a blown tire..

My neighbor also is quick to ask for help. He assisted as I helped him hang a security door for him last week. Let's see, I've also fixed his lawn mower, his wife's bicycle and other things I've forgotten. He's always very thankful and brings over food or dessert unexpectedly, so I know he's very appreciative.

There was this one guy.. I helped him on his VW buggy several times. I then asked him for help on something and he had plans. I'll just say I was busy as well the next time he needed me to help him. Laughing

Decades of VW and VW parts restoration experience.
The Samba member since 2004.

**Now rebuilding throttle bodies for VW's and Porsche's**
**Restored German Bosch distributors for sale or I can restore yours**
**Restored German Pierburg fuel pumps for sale or I can restore yours**
**Restored Porsche fuel pumps or I can restore yours**
**Restored Porsche distributors or I can restore yours**
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
minger
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 27, 2016 4:27 pm    Post subject: Re: The joys of being mechanically handy... Reply with quote

I don't mind if I'm helping someone who wants to learn. Heck, that is how I got started and learned much. But I quickly learned who was 'busy' when I needed a hand.
gt1953
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 27, 2016 5:01 pm    Post subject: Re: The joys of being mechanically handy... Reply with quote

I do not mind having a training session for someone whom wants to learn the how too's. Not sure if I would tackle a F-150. As far as working on a car, the Dairy Queen lady has a VW. I do make repairs on it and get paid for doing so. She realizes no one else does work on them.

72 type 1
72 Squareback
({59 Euro bug, 62, 63, 67, 68, 69, 73 type ones 68 & 69 type two, 68 Ghia all sold})
crukab
Samba Chef

PostPosted: Mon Jun 27, 2016 6:55 pm    Post subject: Re: The joys of being mechanically handy... Reply with quote

Yea, I realized being handy is sort of a good thing on a Friday night, July '84,when the restaurant I'm working on externship at has no WATER, I go out, oncover the pump at the well, splice the fried wires to the pump back together, go back in, flip the breaker, we got water, saved them hundreds of $$$ in lost sales, the owner bought me a beer...... Rolling Eyes

My Pops:
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=604100&highlight=
I know you will always be with me, rest in peace with no more pain. 8/13/14.....

In the yard right now:
'51 Dodge 5 window truck
'65 Bug
'66 Singlecab
'82 Rabbit Truck Diesel from CALI Smile
'86 Doublecab W/T
'91 Vanagon carat/wolfsbrg.Tiico
'88 Dodge Ram pickup
'11 Jetta Wagon
Malokin Martin
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 27, 2016 10:02 pm    Post subject: Re: The joys of being mechanically handy... Reply with quote

I did the, "hammer on the starter" trick on a friends Subaru the other day in front of about 5 grown men that knew nothing about cars.

They thought I was a magician.
Da TOW'D
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 28, 2016 8:06 am    Post subject: Re: The joys of being mechanically handy... Reply with quote

I think the great Canadian Red Green said it best
If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy." ...
'92 Eurovan Willy DD
and NUTS
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
enjoyther1de
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 28, 2016 8:53 am    Post subject: Re: The joys of being mechanically handy... Reply with quote

Kind of like owning a pick up truck.
Manfred58sc
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 28, 2016 9:05 am    Post subject: Re: The joys of being mechanically handy... Reply with quote

I would point out that the root of the problem is on the front grill, circled 3 times in blue, FORD. Then I would bring out the tool box, a lawn chair, good beer (for me) , cheap beer (for them), and a lap top with you-tube videos. I would answer problems only when they are hopelessly stuck or ready to destroy something. That is how I was taught by crusty old timers, after I spent 2 weeks cleaning parts and the shop floor.
daven
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 28, 2016 9:30 am    Post subject: Re: The joys of being mechanically handy... Reply with quote

Always nice to help out somebody in need that appreciates the your effort.

While on leave from AF I stopped to visit a friend at his work - small tool and Die manufacturer. Their BIG planer was broke down and I was asked to look at it. The darn thing had 5 huge relay banks (huge = 100 plus old time relay in each cabinet). I looked through all the cabinets and found several relays (clear plastic cases) had arced a bunch and the carbon film was thick. I pulled those relays, broke free a couple sets of contacts, polished the things a bit and ta da - the planer was again operational. The owner gave me $20. My friend told me later that to have a technician from the company stop by was an automatic $350.00 plus repair charges. l didn't ever stop by there again.
Dave
helowrench
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 28, 2016 11:23 am    Post subject: Re: The joys of being mechanically handy... Reply with quote

minger wrote:
So you're saying F-150s have problems with their calipers?

That is what I got out of it.
73 914 1.7
12 Passat 2.5 Highway cruiser
Jon Schmid
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 28, 2016 1:56 pm    Post subject: Re: The joys of being mechanically handy... Reply with quote

Malokin Martin wrote:
I did the, "hammer on the starter" trick on a friends Subaru the other day in front of about 5 grown men that knew nothing about cars.

They thought I was a magician.

Or hitting the fuel tank with a rubber mallet to wake up a tank installed fuel pump? I had to do that a few times on My Astro until I could get it fixed. The OEM pump lasted 14 years; the POS aftermarket replacements wouldn't even make it out of the warranty period.
Cusser
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 28, 2016 4:01 pm    Post subject: Re: The joys of being mechanically handy... Reply with quote

Working on VWs and other vehicles enabled me to save my employer thousands of dollars in repairs and downtime on high performance liquid chromatography instrumentation, as logical troubleshooting is not tons different.

I've helped at least 3 others near me with their VWs, and still help my youngest daughter (25) with her '98 Pathfinder. And my older daughter wants my help to check out used trucks when she buys.
1970 VW (owned since 1972) and 1971 VW Convertible (owned since 1976), second owner of each. The '71 now has the 1835 engine, swapped from the '70. Second owner of each. 1988 Mazda B2200 truck, 1998 Frontier, 2014 Yukon, 2004 Frontier King Cab. All manual transmission except for the Yukon. http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=335294 http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=335297
cdennisg
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 28, 2016 5:09 pm    Post subject: Re: The joys of being mechanically handy... Reply with quote

In my little neighborhood, I am the guy that fixes things. A couple of neighbors have VW's, all have cars with flat tires or lawn mowers with gunky carbs each spring. I work for food, beer, banana bread, etc. But what really pays off is that I can do nearly anything I fucking want on our little dead end street and nobody gives me grief. Fireworks! Burnouts! VW campout parties 'till 2 AM! No problems.

I love that.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Off Topic All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: