Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Overheating Help - Coil??
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
tunnvar
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 26, 2016 5:28 pm    Post subject: Overheating Help - Coil?? Reply with quote

It seems my 70 is overheating in the Texas summer heat when I am on an incline on the highway or of I have driven for several miles. I lose power in 4th and then 3rd before sputtering to a halt. I can still idle fine. The bus has been sitting for 12 months as I was out of the country.

Could it be a faulty coil? I had the engine mostly rebuilt over a year ago but the coil is still the same one from the old engine. Will a new coil deal with the Texas heat better. I did not have this issue this time last year driving up and down I35.

Cheers for any ideas.

[url=http://www.vw-mplate.com/mplate2-35638.png]Click to view image[/URL]
SGKent Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 26, 2016 5:35 pm    Post subject: Re: Overheating Help - Coil?? Reply with quote

is it new fuel or year old fuel?
Tcash
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 26, 2016 5:48 pm    Post subject: Re: Overheating Help - Coil?? Reply with quote

Every diagnoses should start with a basic Tune up.
Tune up

Drain the gas tank and clean or replace the strainer and the fuel filter.
http://www.jbugs.com/product/111209147A.html

111209147ahttp://www.busdepot.com/111209147a

thank jerseylooker
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Another possibility.
Ignition High Tension Leaks

Good luck
Tcash
Wildthings
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 26, 2016 5:54 pm    Post subject: Re: Overheating Help - Coil?? Reply with quote

A bottle of FI cleaner dumped into your gas tank could clean things up.
tunnvar
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 26, 2016 6:05 pm    Post subject: Re: Overheating Help - Coil?? Reply with quote

Great suggestions thanks. The fuel will likely be a mixture of old and new.
The carb is brand new, just put it in a few weeks ago. The points are good. New fuel filter went in last week.

Wildthings
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 26, 2016 6:15 pm    Post subject: Re: Overheating Help - Coil?? Reply with quote

tunnvar wrote:

The carb is brand new, just put it in a few weeks ago.

That would make me suspicious. If your new carb is jetted too lean, the engine will run hot and weak.
airschooled
Air-Schooled

PostPosted: Sun Jun 26, 2016 11:09 pm    Post subject: Re: Overheating Help - Coil?? Reply with quote

If the engine will go to 4,000 RPM in first or second gear, the coil is not to blame. The coil doesn't care what gear the car is in.

Robbie
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
SGKent Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 27, 2016 7:05 am    Post subject: Re: Overheating Help - Coil?? Reply with quote

Let's check the symptoms again. When it slows in 3rd and 4th, is it possible that the clutch is slipping and you just think the engine is failing you? Could the tank vent line be plugged? When were the valves last adjusted? Have you added a fuel drier to the tank incase their is moisture in it?
airschooled
Air-Schooled

PostPosted: Mon Jun 27, 2016 7:10 am    Post subject: Re: Overheating Help - Coil?? Reply with quote

Also, did the problem get worse over time, or did it happen suddenly?

Robbie
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Tom Powell
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 27, 2016 10:46 am    Post subject: Re: Overheating Help - Coil?? Reply with quote

tunnvar wrote:
... Could it be a faulty coil? ...

I stopped to help someone out of the snow and left my engine running. It died and sat for about twenty minutes with the ignition on. This damaged the coil. The symptoms were, it would start cold and run for hundreds of miles without a problem, but if shutdown would not restart while the coil was hot. After half an hour of cooling it would restart and run without problems for another hundreds of miles. A new coil solved this problem, but if I had known the exact "hot coil" problem I probably could have cooled it off with wet rags in a few minutes. If I recall it did not idle well with the "hot coil" and was likely to die unless I kept the RPM's up.

Aloha
tp
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Harleyelf
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 27, 2016 11:03 am    Post subject: Re: Overheating Help - Coil?? Reply with quote

I see the key information as being, "new carburetor just installed", which leads me to suspect a leaky manifold, causing too-lean running and overheating.
tunnvar
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 27, 2016 11:43 am    Post subject: Re: Overheating Help - Coil?? Reply with quote

Quality stuff. I will try all these things.

This problem has only just started in the last few weeks after the new carb was installed. Like I said the bus sat for a year. I did not have this issue before when it was my daily driver for months before I left it.

Valves have not been adjusted for a while even though it's been sitting for much of the last 12 months. New Carb symptoms could be key here it seems!

SGKent Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 27, 2016 11:46 am    Post subject: Re: Overheating Help - Coil?? Reply with quote

(1) if the old carb was working why did you replace it?

(2) did you keep a heated manifold or replace it too with a non-heated manifold?
Wildthings
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 27, 2016 12:18 pm    Post subject: Re: Overheating Help - Coil?? Reply with quote

tunnvar wrote:
Quality stuff. I will try all these things.

This problem has only just started in the last few weeks after the new carb was installed. Like I said the bus sat for a year. I did not have this issue before when it was my daily driver for months before I left it.

Valves have not been adjusted for a while even though it's been sitting for much of the last 12 months. New Carb symptoms could be key here it seems!

I have found that because of our alcohol laced fuel, I have to richen the main jet(s) by one or two steps to get an engine to run well.
scrivyscriv
Samba Electrician

PostPosted: Mon Jun 27, 2016 6:10 pm    Post subject: Re: Overheating Help - Coil?? Reply with quote

How do you know the engine is hot? Oil temp, CHT?

You might have sediment or trash in the main jet, low fuel pressure, clogged tank filter... Definitely doesn't sound much like ignition to me.
If you're ever in the Memphis area, you are welcome to stop by for advice and help.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
SGKent Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 27, 2016 6:37 pm    Post subject: Re: Overheating Help - Coil?? Reply with quote

or carb icing if the manifold is a non-heated style
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: