Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Using the under mount spare space for storage
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Noblecr
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 26, 2016 6:06 am    Post subject: Using the under mount spare space for storage Reply with quote

Hi,
I know someone out there has come up with some great ideas and ways to use this space as usable storage. I have tried the Samba search, but no luck.

So thought I would ask....how do you use it? what do you use it for? How accessable? What type of container are you using if any? Picture are always appreciated. Laughing

Cheers
C.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Howesight
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 26, 2016 8:18 am    Post subject: Re: Using the under mount spare space for storage Reply with quote

I love the Samba, but its search "engine" is not great, which makes sense, given the size and power of Google. Esoteric searches like the one you are pursuing yield incredibly good results by searching on Google for pictures of the thing you are looking for. I just tried "Vanagon spare tire space" on Google, hit images, and voila, hundreds of pics, most of them from the Samba! Click on the pic, go to the source of the pic, and you're done.
PDXWesty
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 26, 2016 11:27 am    Post subject: Re: Using the under mount spare space for storage Reply with quote

It took me about 10 seconds to come up with this:
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/search.php?search...=titleonly

The secret to the search is to use the word "and" between search words.

In the search box at the top of the vanagon forum I typed "spare and storage" and checked title. results were quite good. Using the word and makes it search for all the words you type together and not individually. There are instructions on the site on how to use the search properly.

Good luck!

Last edited by PDXWesty on Sun Jun 26, 2016 12:26 pm; edited 1 time in total
Noblecr
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 26, 2016 12:03 pm    Post subject: Re: Using the under mount spare space for storage Reply with quote

Thank you Very Happy
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
bluebus86
Banned

PostPosted: Sun Jun 26, 2016 2:06 pm    Post subject: Re: Using the under mount spare space for storage Reply with quote

PDXWesty wrote:
It took me about 10 seconds to come up with this:

The secret to the search is to use the word "and" between search words.

In the search box at the top of the vanagon forum I typed "spare and storage" and checked title. results were quite good. Using the word and makes it search for all the words you type together and not individually. There are instructions on the site on how to use the search properly.

Good luck!

I simply used the two words "spare storage" and did a titles only search on the vanagon forum and got eight results just as you did, no "and" needed. I believe the "and" is implied and is thus redundant to include it, wont hurt however to add it.

The Sambas search function works fine, it fact it is pretty damn good.

Stop introducing dirt into your oil when adjusting valves ... https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=683022
Madeouttaglass
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 26, 2016 2:20 pm    Post subject: Re: Using the under mount spare space for storage Reply with quote

I built this hinged piece for mine. It is framed with 1" square tubing. The intention was to also have diamond plate on the sides. I never got around to doing the sides as life changed and now the Westy is on ebay. (Auction ends in less than 6 hours as I write this. Sad )

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

PDXWesty
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 26, 2016 4:50 pm    Post subject: Re: Using the under mount spare space for storage Reply with quote

Quote:
I simply used the two words "spare storage" and did a titles only search on the vanagon forum and got eight results just as you did, no "and" needed. I believe the "and" is implied and is thus redundant to include it, wont hurt however to add it.

I hate to disagree with you, (because I know you're always right), but a simple reading of the search page makes it clear the use of the words and, or, and not in the search rules. It's even underlined for you. In this case, you just got lucky. If you were doing a broader search these rules help a lot. See below.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

davevickery
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 26, 2016 5:58 pm    Post subject: Re: Using the under mount spare space for storage Reply with quote

For that kind of search, this works the absolute best.

https://www.google.com/search?q=vanagon+spare+tire...8Q_AUIBygC
bluebus86
Banned

PostPosted: Sun Jun 26, 2016 5:59 pm    Post subject: Re: Using the under mount spare space for storage Reply with quote

PDXWesty wrote:
Quote:

I hate to disagree with you, (because I know you're always right), but a simple reading of the search page makes it clear the use of the words and, or, and not in the search rules. It's even underlined for you. In this case, you just got lucky. If you were doing a broader search these rules help a lot. See below.

apparently the default is AND. put in "spare storage" and search for any terms or all terms made no difference. however put in only "spare" and you get a lot more results. one could conclude then that the and statement is the default choice.

Stop introducing dirt into your oil when adjusting valves ... https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=683022
danfromsyr
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 26, 2016 6:58 pm    Post subject: Re: Using the under mount spare space for storage Reply with quote

want to get on a hot topic...

I have a 9gal aux gas tank up under in lieu of the spare.. Twisted Evil
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
bluebus86
Banned

PostPosted: Sun Jun 26, 2016 8:10 pm    Post subject: Re: Using the under mount spare space for storage Reply with quote

danfromsyr wrote:
want to get on a hot topic...

I have a 9gal aux gas tank up under in lieu of the spare.. Twisted Evil

Dont rear end a Pinto!

believe you me, pdxwesty knows I am always right, and lucky!

shadetreetim
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 26, 2016 9:08 pm    Post subject: Re: Using the under mount spare space for storage Reply with quote

Another on topic post, Laughing here's mine from a few months ago.

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=649165&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=0

Doing my best every time I drive it to dispel the myth these Vanagons have to be slow!

'89 Vanagon Bluestar/Country Homes 1.8T & .77 4th
'74 Jeep CJ5
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: