Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Lending out my Van...
Page: 1, 2, 3  Next
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
djkeev
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Jun 26, 2016 5:10 am    Post subject: Lending out my Van... Reply with quote

So,
My daughter called yesterday wondering if they can borrow my camper in a few weeks.

I trust her completely, she's 32, mature, a Mother and I taught her how to drive and hasn't any accidents.
I ttust her husband, a good provider, level headed and cares for others belongings as if they were priceless items. But..... He's an office worker with minimal mechanical skills.

That being said, it's only a 120 mile trip one way......... What can go wrong?

The Van is in great shape, I took it 7,000 miles last Summer.

So..... Why am I just a tiny bit nervous? Control freak? Worry wart?
It's just a car, what happens will happen...... Right? 😒

Anyway....... It's just "stuff".........

Dave

Ghia
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=392473

Vanagon
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=6315537#6315537

Beetle
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=482968&highlight=74+super+vert
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Easywind1975
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 26, 2016 5:40 am    Post subject: Re: Lending out my Van....... Reply with quote

go for it, give the guy a complete rundown. stress the importance of obsessing over temp gauge, eyeballing mirrors for nasty surprises from engine area, etc. tell him van is not forgiving if something goes wrong and he must pay attention

sorry for lack of caps and punctuation, 3 years olds in other arm
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
WestyBob
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 26, 2016 5:46 am    Post subject: Re: Lending out my Van....... Reply with quote

I personally wouldn't loan my westy out to anyone, not even my own momma if she were still alive, because it's old and requires certain know-how driving skills and I wouldn't want it to strand anyone, and even with family things don't always come back in the same condition they left.

But in your case having said what you said and only 120 miles one way I guess I would. I guess I would remove out of the rig anything they don't need to have, show them a few things plus make sure they can drive it around the block properly, etc.

Or you could just tell them it's an antique and may not get them to their destination and it's all very delicate.

If it were my relatives I'd tell them they could take my '99 Chrysler awd min-van instead Wink
VWinVT
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 26, 2016 5:53 am    Post subject: Re: Lending out my Van....... Reply with quote

Letting them use it will mean a lot to them, especially your daughter, because they know how much it means to you...

Small wheel turns by the firing rod,
Big wheel turns by the grace of God.
Every time that wheel turns 'round,
You're bound to cover just a little more ground.
iliketowalk
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 26, 2016 8:05 am    Post subject: Re: Lending out my Van....... Reply with quote

Part of the joy of using a Vanagon is the adventure that comes along with it. 120 miles is < 200 mile free AAA towing (if they offer in your state)...

AAA towing and good insurance and you're pretty much sorted. Like you said - it's only stuff.
Terry Kay
Banned

PostPosted: Sun Jun 26, 2016 8:21 am    Post subject: Re: Lending out my Van....... Reply with quote

It'd be a real nice gesture Dave--

Don't worry about anything--
Wellington
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 26, 2016 8:43 am    Post subject: Re: Lending out my Van....... Reply with quote

I'd do it, 120 miles is nothing.
It's also an indication if they like it, one day you will be forced with a decision, sell it, or leave it to them. Be nice if they appreciated it.
Abscate
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 26, 2016 8:53 am    Post subject: Re: Lending out my Van....... Reply with quote

I don't own anything Im not willing to lend.

That means I own it, and it doesn't own me.

OK, I won't loan my wife. Unless the deal is really interesting.
kourt
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 26, 2016 8:58 am    Post subject: Re: Lending out my Van....... Reply with quote

I think about this a lot. What if someone asks to borrow my van?

You've got nearly perfect circumstances in your situation. They will have a wonderful time, and you will feel great as a consequence of the loan. Everyone wins. When the outcomes can be so good, take the chance.

Kourt
bluebus86
Banned

PostPosted: Sun Jun 26, 2016 9:11 am    Post subject: Re: Lending out my Van....... Reply with quote

since you have maintaned it, it is likely in ship shape, dont anything will go wrong with it, go over any concerns. but remeber accident do happen, could be other other driver at fault, but yet you van is ruined, accpet that it could happen even with you behind the wheel, if you can accpet that then go for it, if not, then dont loan it, but be prepared for them questioning why you would not loan it, behind your back for the rest of there lives.

good luck in your choice.

Stop introducing dirt into your oil when adjusting valves ... https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=683022
Tom Powell
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 26, 2016 9:36 am    Post subject: Re: Lending out my Van....... Reply with quote

It is the things in life that you do not do that you regret.

Aloha
tp
davevickery
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 26, 2016 9:56 am    Post subject: Re: Lending out my Van....... Reply with quote

Letting someone else take the van is a test of your maintenance skills.

When I sold one of my vans, I said, take it for a week. Consider the $500 deposit a week's rental if you don't want to buy it. Trusting a stranger to take the van for a week into the wilds of Colorado was good enough for them and they bought it on the spot.

It might have been foolish though if something had gone wrong. I checked my insurance and they do not cover any sort of commercial transactions, but lending it may work out better. I'd ask them if they have full coverage, and maybe ask them to find out what would happen if they crashed it. If not, you could add them as a driver to your policy for the week.
GWTWTLW
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 26, 2016 10:01 am    Post subject: Re: Lending out my Van....... Reply with quote

I would. And as others have said, point out things to keep an eye out for in the gauges, etc. I'd also give them tips on shift points for big hills, etc.

And don't forget the what the great philosopher Mr. T once said: ' don't cry over nothing that can't cry over you - sucka!'
syncrodoka
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 26, 2016 10:12 am    Post subject: Re: Lending out my Van....... Reply with quote

I taught my kids how to drive stick so that they can drive my cars. As long as your insurance covers them you shouldn't have anything to worry about.
240 miles round trip is nothing.
DwarfVader
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 26, 2016 12:20 pm    Post subject: Re: Lending out my Van....... Reply with quote

You've re-built up a solid rig...

Raised an intelligent mindfull daughter...

You've got AAA premium... (I presume anyway.)

Everything will be fine Dave. Smile

I'll find my van someday, or it will find me.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Classifieds Feedback
dobryan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 26, 2016 1:10 pm    Post subject: Re: Lending out my Van....... Reply with quote

Terry Kay wrote:

X2.

"To travel hopefully is a better thing than to arrive." Robert Louis Stevenson

MD>Canada>AK>WA>OR>CA>AZ>UT>WY>SD
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=620646

Building a bus for travel in Europe (euroBus)
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=695371

The Western Syncro build
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=746794
jimf909 Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 26, 2016 2:06 pm    Post subject: Re: Lending out my Van....... Reply with quote

dobryan wrote:
Terry Kay wrote:

X2.

An impressively succinct, insightful and generous response by TK. Well done.

I'd loan my van to immediate family for such an adventure - they're all careful, responsible people, similar to your daughter and SIL. Outside of family, I'd only loan my van to a very close friend who has proven to be a remarkably careful Vanagon owner. I don't have such a close friend (partly because none of my close friends own Vanagons).

If they're as you state, the worst that will happen is they'll have a failure that would have occurred to you which you'd have to deal with anyway.

My final thought is to never loan something if it will sadden you if it's not returned as expected. It's just a van.

I hope your kids have a wonderful trip!

Abscate wrote:
Do not get killed, do not kill others.

Current: 1990 Westy Camper - Bostig RG4, 2wd, manual trans w/Peloquin, NAHT high-top, 280 ah LFP battery, 160 watts solar, Flash Silver, seam rust, bondo, etc., etc.

Past: 1985 Westy Camper - 1.9 wbx, 2wd, manual trans, Merian Brown, (sold after 17 years to Northwesty who converted it to a Syncro).
slackin' at work
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 26, 2016 6:42 pm    Post subject: Re: Lending out my Van....... Reply with quote

I lent out my van last year…
it was the first time I did so with ANY of my old cars. they're quirky, and odd compared to new cars.

but the person was my good friend who I bought the van from. she had owned it for 8 years with no issues (and no upkeep).
one of the caveats to me buying it was that her and her daughter could borrow it for one weekend a year. no biggy, I thought.

I thought after dumping huge mounts of time and money into it, there wouldn't be an issue because it was far improved over what she was used to.

well, she drove it for 4+ miles after a coolant hose popped. 2 hours after she left, this is how it came back.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

the good news was it upped my timeframe for my subaru swap. love it.
`84 MK1 GTI
`76 Brasilia
shadetreetim
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 26, 2016 9:25 pm    Post subject: Re: Lending out my Van....... Reply with quote

I keep a tent trailer in my back yard just for this reason. It can and has been loaned out many times. The bonus is I could care less what happens to it.

But I wouldn't expect any newer car driver to be used to driving an older vehicle, especially one with the motor in the rear, where all the unusual sights, sounds and smells require extra diligence to monitor. In a front motored car, the blown radiator hose mentioned earlier would be hard to miss. In a rear motored Vanagon? Not really surprising it was not noticed. There is no reason for someone else to learn the folly of blithely driving along unaware of what is happening behind them at my expense. Even with excellent maintenance, stuff can and does go wrong. I am in tune with the vehicle I drive and tend to notice it. But then, I've habitually driven 50 year old vehicles my entire adult life.

Doing my best every time I drive it to dispel the myth these Vanagons have to be slow!

'89 Vanagon Bluestar/Country Homes 1.8T & .77 4th
'74 Jeep CJ5
Chuey
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 26, 2016 9:37 pm    Post subject: Re: Lending out my Van....... Reply with quote

It is different for me than it seems to be for most here. It would be hard, very hard, to let go of negative feelings if anything happened to one of my cars. (That would be different if I drove a Camry - buy a new one in a flash!)

I don't loan my cars out of respect for the person who would borrow it. I would rather pay for a rental for them if they need a car to get around.

And.............What Tim said. Old cars require a certain awareness and it is not reasonable to expect others to have that level of mechanical aptitude.

Disclaimer: This is not advice. It is simply how I conduct myself in this situation. It's OK with me if my daughter thinks I'm a dick. It's not OK with me how I would feel if she wrecked my Doka.

Chuey
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: