Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Need a few parts or help with steering column
Forum Index -> Thing/Type 181 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
[email protected]
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 25, 2016 10:07 pm    Post subject: Need a few parts or help with steering column Reply with quote

While up at the VW show in Niagara Falls, our Thing died in traffic, but the guy that came to tow us was from a very knowledgeable Foreign shop a few miles away. The steering wheel was locked, the electrical part of the ignition was cracked/broke. We had the steering wheel and all removed, but in pulling the housing that holds the ignitionswitch and key, plus the part with the steering wheel lock in the center, and the electrical portion was toast. And the housing that holds all this, black part the goes over steering column and holds the parts from key thru to the electrical switch, was broken taking it off. I know we can get a new keyed portion of the ignition switch, and we already have the plastic electrical part, which we are able to start the Thing with a screwdriver. Does anybody have the metal housing that goes over the steering column and holds the rest together? And we would like to find thhemetalcylinder that goes between the keyed part of the ignition assembly and the plastic switch the wire plug goes into? Any thoughts or help is appreciated. Cliff W. in western Pa.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
mondshine
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 26, 2016 5:07 am    Post subject: Re: Need a few parts or help with steering column Reply with quote

Maybe this drawing will help:

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Check with Mike Basso for the parts you need.
http://www.thingparts.com/

It's very important to find the source of the short circuit that caused this problem before you make any repairs.
It's only my opinion, but a fuse in the ignition circuit is a "deviation from stock" worth consideration.

Good luck, Mondshine
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
KAmes
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 26, 2016 10:05 am    Post subject: Re: Need a few parts or help with steering column Reply with quote

I'm not very organized but I should have all of that as I modified my steering column and it all came off as a unit. I'll have to look I think it ended up in the storage unit up the street. PM me your address and I'll send it to you, don't want you to be late for Kubel Treffen.
[email protected]
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 26, 2016 10:44 am    Post subject: Re: Need a few parts or help with steering column Reply with quote

Thanks for the drawing, its on the list to buy the binder with all the drawings, and the service manual from TTS. That would be good if you have it to spare Kames, I am: Cliff Waugaman, 251 Hudson Ave., Greensburg, Pa. 15601.Wheather we fix it now or not, we will do everything we can to be at the Kubel Treffen. We are currently using a screwdriver to start the Thing, not pretty but it works.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
KAmes
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 26, 2016 11:44 am    Post subject: Re: Need a few parts or help with steering column Reply with quote

Found it! It's 1973, Is yours 1974? I don't know if there are any differences but I'll be glad to hand it to UPS tomorrow. I changed all my wiring, it would be major to ever put it back on my car. I'll get it on it's way unless you think it won't work for some reason.
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.
Ron Domeck
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 26, 2016 2:40 pm    Post subject: Re: Need a few parts or help with steering column Reply with quote

Cliff, if your column is cast like the one KAmes has that will work. If your housing is plastic it will not. Around Feb 74 the parts changed.
Ron Domeck
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 26, 2016 2:45 pm    Post subject: Re: Need a few parts or help with steering column Reply with quote

Reread, and your car must be an early 74 or 73. I'm guessing the drawing don't look like yours. That is for a late 74.
[email protected]
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 26, 2016 7:37 pm    Post subject: Re: Need a few parts or help with steering column Reply with quote

The "Zertifikat" from the Stiftung Automuseum says mine was manufactured on August 16, 1973, the part Kames has looks good, better that the drawing. Thanks guys for that.
KAmes
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 26, 2016 8:25 pm    Post subject: Re: Need a few parts or help with steering column Reply with quote

Cool, I'll pass along the tracking number when I know it.
KAmes
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 27, 2016 11:37 am    Post subject: Re: Need a few parts or help with steering column Reply with quote

UPS tracking number is 1Z610X080302602820
[email protected]
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 29, 2016 6:29 pm    Post subject: Re: Need a few parts or help with steering column Reply with quote

Got it today and got it apart to install, thanks for the quick response, look forward to seeing you in Tipp City. Cliff W. in Greensburg, Pa.
KAmes
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 29, 2016 7:07 pm    Post subject: Re: Need a few parts or help with steering column Reply with quote

Glad to help Very Happy Nice to see it go to use.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Thing/Type 181 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: