Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Timing Question: Any Harm in Increasing the Advance?
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Phaedrus
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 25, 2016 6:10 pm    Post subject: Timing Question: Any Harm in Increasing the Advance? Reply with quote

As the title says. Curious. Playing around with the timing after a full tune, I noticed a marked difference in pep advancing about 4 degrees past 37 btdc. Nothing crazy, but just a little bit quicker response. Didnt really notice much difference on hills. Idle was a bit high though, maybe 900-1k. Set her back to 37 degrees, proper idle.

Question is, does it hurt the engine in any way to increase the advance? What are the downsides? I.e. why should I not go past 37 btdc?
captcory
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 25, 2016 6:19 pm    Post subject: Re: Timing Question: Any Harm in Increasing the Advance? Reply with quote

too much advanced timing will cause pinging "detonation" and can burn a hole in the top of your piston.
Phaedrus
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 25, 2016 6:27 pm    Post subject: Re: Timing Question: Any Harm in Increasing the Advance? Reply with quote

K, but how much is too much? Ive heard the wbx is pretty resilient to pinging. How much room do we have to play with? 4 degrees, 10 degrees, 20? Gimmie more to ruminate on.
Ahwahnee
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 25, 2016 7:24 pm    Post subject: Re: Timing Question: Any Harm in Increasing the Advance? Reply with quote

I've run 40° BTDC all-in with all hoses connected for many years w/o issue - this on a GoWesty 2.2L Digijet.

The risk is pinging as noted. You can listen for pinging at low speed (accelerating hard in 4th to create a load).

The problem is a ping at high speed -- you'll probably never hear it -- and that is the ping that will get you.
UrS6Vanagon
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 25, 2016 8:00 pm    Post subject: Re: Timing Question: Any Harm in Increasing the Advance? Reply with quote

I advanced my timing an additional 4 degrees to help compensate for the high elevation where I live (8500 ft). Most of my driving is in the 7k-12k ft range, and from what I've read it's safe to advance it a few degrees if your normally above 4k-5kft. It's helped the engine feel a little more lively and I haven't had any pinging.
1987 Audi 4000 quattro
2011 Nissan Pro-4x
bluebus86
Banned

PostPosted: Sat Jun 25, 2016 8:14 pm    Post subject: Re: Timing Question: Any Harm in Increasing the Advance? Reply with quote

UrS6Vanagon wrote:
I advanced my timing an additional 4 degrees to help compensate for the high elevation where I live (8500 ft). Most of my driving is in the 7k-12k ft range, and from what I've read it's safe to advance it a few degrees if your normally above 4k-5kft. It's helped the engine feel a little more lively and I haven't had any pinging.

So you mean you havent heard any pinging right?

Note inaudiable pinging can be destructive. use of high octane fuel can help compensate, but high octane fuel is not readily available in many areas. in some areas of california, 91 is the highest at most stations, sure some places offer racing fuel at near 2 times the price.

VW I am sure would have set the timing as far advanced as they felt safe for running using normal fuels. why would they not set it for added power if no down side. try it at your own risk. damage may not be apparent for a long time, maybe. engine life may suffer, it is all a matter of degree!

Stop introducing dirt into your oil when adjusting valves ... https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=683022
Phaedrus
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 25, 2016 8:38 pm    Post subject: Re: Timing Question: Any Harm in Increasing the Advance? Reply with quote

Ah, yes, but the prophet hath spoken to the Vanagon God and doth bequeath us with His knowledge:

tencentlife wrote:
The 2" mark is 35deg. BTDC. You can vary the setting 5 deg. either side of the 2" mark (timing spec is 35 +/- 5 BTDC at 3k rpm). Maybe yours likes a little more or a little less.

I misspoke when I said 37. My old mark is the standard 35, all in, all connected (tencent method). I'm gonna push it back up to 37/38 and see how she does. Heard no pinging @ ~40 at any and all throttle openings. Only downside is the slightly high idle. Makes the summertime traffic jams a little more... heat-inducing
UrS6Vanagon
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 25, 2016 9:32 pm    Post subject: Re: Timing Question: Any Harm in Increasing the Advance? Reply with quote

Yeah, I mean I haven't heard any pinging. I've been driving it this way for about 10 years without any issues. The need for higher octanes to reduce pinging also decreases with elevation, however I've always used 91. I wouldn't run too much advance at sea level but for my application it runs better overall. Apples to Oranges but my 2011 Nissan truck has the option to advance the timing 2 degrees. This can be done at the dealership or with an aftermarket programmer. Why didn't Nissan just make all of their Frontiers run the additional 2 degrees if they can safely handle it?
1987 Audi 4000 quattro
2011 Nissan Pro-4x
nemobuscaptain
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 25, 2016 10:26 pm    Post subject: Re: Timing Question: Any Harm in Increasing the Advance? Reply with quote

Digifant:
Timing Set At:: 5deg BTDC @ 2000 rpm w/strobe. Thermotime Sensor (Digifant ECU Temp Sensor II) must be disconnected when performing timing adjustment. Engine Oil Temperature must be at 80c (176F) minimum.
Advance/Retard Range: Digifant ECU Controlled: 35deg @ 3000 rpm (+ or - 5deg)

Digijet
apparently had up to 47 degrees max
Timing Set At:: 5deg ATDC @ 850 rpm w/strobe, vacuum hose(s) connected. Idle Stabilizer must be disconnected and it's plugs directly connected together (bypassing the Stabilizer) for accurate timing with strobe. Reconnect Idle Stabilizer when timing is set.
Advance/Retard Range: Vacuum: 12-16deg Adv @ 10.6 In. Hg, 9-11deg Ret @ 10.6 In. Hg; Centrifugal: 16-20deg @ 2400 rpm, 21-25deg @ 3800 rpm

http://www.oldvolkshome.com/ignition.htm#V8691

https://www.facebook.com/groups/FullMoonBusClub

RIP Bob Hoover https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=427791
Hoover Sermons: https://www.vwsage.com/images/vwsage/Bob%20Hoovers%20Sermons.pdf
danfromsyr
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 26, 2016 7:03 pm    Post subject: Re: Timing Question: Any Harm in Increasing the Advance? Reply with quote

you can always add a stand alone knock sensor monitor and then adjust accordingly.

it's best to be educated when messing away from factory settings.
https://www.google.com/webhp?sourceid=chrome-insta...k%20sensor
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
jberger
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 27, 2016 11:31 am    Post subject: Re: Timing Question: Any Harm in Increasing the Advance? Reply with quote

The WBX is resistant to knock.. however it is quite a bit less so if you have Brazilian Piston sets or some other hackery that increases deck height.. That being said, the Digifant protraining manual states something about checking total advance after setting idle timing that it must advance 35° over the initial setting +or- 5°.. so I have always taken that to mean 45° of advance at 3000rpm is safe for stock engines. And indeed I have driven them timed like that for Thousands and thousands of miles. YRMV.

As a side note, as can be read in some of my engine build threads I have also experienced severe knock\pinging in non stock engines, over time\miles and the heads of the pistons were just fine. The only results... rod bearings that will fall off the rod when disassembled from the hammering action. Not damaged or spun mind you, just un-sprung
DenCon
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 14, 2016 1:28 pm    Post subject: Re: Timing Question: Any Harm in Increasing the Advance? Reply with quote

I just set my '85 to 40° BTDC (everything connected, ≈3K RPM). Woke that Vanny right up and it starts more easily and I haven't heard detonation.
jackbombay
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 14, 2016 1:47 pm    Post subject: Re: Timing Question: Any Harm in Increasing the Advance? Reply with quote

bluebus86 wrote:

VW I am sure would have set the timing as far advanced as they felt safe for running using normal fuels. why would they not set it for added power if no down side.

Advancing timing increases NOx emissions, that is why VW doesn't spec the timing for the edge of pinging, because the vehicle wouldn't pass emissions testing.

Gas struts to pop your top easily!

Pop Top strut kits now available for late Bay window Westies Smile

Samba ad here.

DIY artificial rain gutters (ARGs)
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: