Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Type34 Ghia, Intake manifold Heater Pipe Valve
Forum Index -> Type 3 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
olen
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 25, 2016 10:58 am    Post subject: Type34 Ghia, Intake manifold Heater Pipe Valve Reply with quote

I have a 1963 Type 34 Karmann Ghia, with a partial Intake heater pipe Valve. does anyone know where I may purchase one, PLUS I'd like to also purchase the Exhaust pipe section with the "Pipe Heater Valve" Connection being a part of it.
Any help will be appreciated. I can receive emails at [email protected]
Thanks,
Olen Sturgeon
ALLWAGONS
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 25, 2016 3:47 pm    Post subject: Re: Type34 Ghia, Intake manifold Heater Pipe Valve Reply with quote

Hello, I also have a '63 type 34 but i don't the have nor do I thing I will ever run a single sidedraft carburator. But what I do have, is an NOS muffler with the heat tube riser that i will trade for NOS type 3 or 34 parts.

Martin

I recycle old cars and parts, other than when I rot, that's as Green as I am going to get.

Thanks to my Tesla driving neighbors, I feel more relaxed driving my SUBURBAN and old VW's.

NON INFLUENCER APPROVED
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
EverettB Premium Member
Administrator

PostPosted: Sat Jun 25, 2016 11:35 pm    Post subject: Re: Type34 Ghia, Intake manifold Heater Pipe Valve Reply with quote

This sounds very close to a pure wanted ad, please post wanted ads in the classifieds as we don't allow ads in the Forums.

But... asking if anyone knows of a source is ok.

Your question is confusing to me though.
Do you need this piece? I call this the pre-heat valve.
In the parts book it's called: Valve - Pre-heating pipe
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

This is on the right side and not part of the exhaust.
The exhaust connection for the pre-heat system is on the left side and connected to the intake manifold and muffler.

If your pre-heat pipe is broken off your muffler, you may be able to have it repaired / welded but you may also need a complete new muffler.
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Peters Van
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 26, 2016 12:42 am    Post subject: Re: Type34 Ghia, Intake manifold Heater Pipe Valve Reply with quote

Hi Everett,

while on the topic of preheat valves are they really necessary ?????
is the scale and adjuster set for certain temps ?????
are they available to buy as a replacement part or are they the mythical hens teeth or rocking horse poo.
i know my single carb panelvan would of had one but now it just has a striaght through pipe there.

cheers Peter
olen
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 26, 2016 8:39 am    Post subject: Re: Type34 Ghia, Intake manifold Heater Pipe Valve Reply with quote

Thanks for the replies,
What I need are the two connecting ends of the manifold heat pipe, The "Heat Valve" on the right side of the engine as well as the left side connector, which attaches the left end of the Intake heater pipe end to the muffler. Up to now, and from the time I purchased the Type 34 Ghia 38 years ago, the left end of the "Heater Pipe" was missing. I have acquired a complete intake manifold which includes the "WHOLE" Heater Pipe.
Thanks,
Olen Sturgeon
[email protected]
EverettB Premium Member
Administrator

PostPosted: Sun Jun 26, 2016 8:46 am    Post subject: Re: Type34 Ghia, Intake manifold Heater Pipe Valve Reply with quote

Good question... My '63 had a straight-through pipe there when I bought it and it seemed to drive fine.

I added the valve above when I did some work but I don't know if it made any difference.

Since it closes after a certain temperature I would guess that it might be more useful in a hot environment so the intake air does not get too hot?
Sort of like how the carburetor intake pipe has a valve that you shut in summer.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
EverettB Premium Member
Administrator

PostPosted: Sun Jun 26, 2016 8:48 am    Post subject: Re: Type34 Ghia, Intake manifold Heater Pipe Valve Reply with quote

olen wrote:
Thanks for the replies,
What I need are the two connecting ends of the manifold heat pipe, The "Heat Valve" on the right side of the engine as well as the left side connector, which attaches the left end of the Intake heater pipe end to the muffler. Up to now, and from the time I purchased the Type 34 Ghia 38 years ago, the left end of the "Heater Pipe" was missing. I have acquired a complete intake manifold which includes the "WHOLE" Heater Pipe.

FYI: The left side is a pipe welded onto the muffler.
So if it's missing, you either have a later muffler or it broke off.

Early mufflers with pipe:

olen
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 27, 2016 4:12 pm    Post subject: Re: Type34 Ghia, Intake manifold Heater Pipe Valve Reply with quote

So, can someone tell me where I can purchase an "EARLY type 3, or type 34 Ghia Muffler , with the heat tube connection on it, as wellas the Heat valve for the right side PLEASE?
olen
[email protected]
EverettB Premium Member
Administrator

PostPosted: Mon Jun 27, 2016 4:35 pm    Post subject: Re: Type34 Ghia, Intake manifold Heater Pipe Valve Reply with quote

You have to just find them for sale, they are not generally available.

I searched on muffler in the Type 3 parts section on this site and found a couple ads:
Complete:
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=1898927
Looks used to me plus the pre-heat pipe is broken or cut off:
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=1417425

I could not find any pre-heat valves for sale at this time.
The part # is 311129781B according to my parts book, if that helps.
bally
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 17, 2023 11:06 pm    Post subject: Re: Type34 Ghia, Intake manifold Heater Pipe Valve Reply with quote

Peters Van wrote:
Hi Everett,

are they available to buy as a replacement part or are they the mythical hens teeth or rocking horse poo.
i know my single carb panelvan would of had one but now it just has a striaght through pipe there.

cheers Peter

Does anyone have an answer for Peter’s question as to whether these pre heat valves (thermostat) are actually needed in most climates or only for particular climates? Given that I’m struggling to locate one, what will be the consequence if I don’t fit one at all, or just make up a spacer piece to connect the pre heat pipe to the heat exchanger? Cheers. Dave
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
260KMN
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 18, 2023 7:04 am    Post subject: Re: Type34 Ghia, Intake manifold Heater Pipe Valve Reply with quote

The one on my 63 was seized solid by rust so i removed the flap from inside it and installed the housing to take up the space from the heater box to manifold.
The car runs fine in all weathers so obvs you dont really require it to be operational.
notchboy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 18, 2023 9:20 am    Post subject: Re: Type34 Ghia, Intake manifold Heater Pipe Valve Reply with quote

bally wrote:
Peters Van wrote:
Hi Everett,

cheers Peter

Does anyone have an answer for Peter’s question as to whether these pre heat valves (thermostat) are actually needed in most climates or only for particular climates? Given that I’m struggling to locate one, what will be the consequence if I don’t fit one at all, or just make up a spacer piece to connect the pre heat pipe to the heat exchanger? Cheers. Dave

Needed? I doubt it. If you have a nice snazzy NOS manifold thats not all clogged up, it would be a nice addition.

More so to the point. I have both valved and spacer ones. See most people don't know that there is a spacer type - a no gated type. So VW planned on not having the gate flapper deal.

OK, this thread is over. You win.

Jason "notchboy" Weigel
1964 1500 S
1964 T34 S Convertible
1977 Westfalia Camper pop-top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Type 3 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: