Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Dog house oil cooler tin
Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
bigfatloser
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 24, 2016 8:15 pm    Post subject: Dog house oil cooler tin Reply with quote

Dog house shroud, on a fiberglass buggy. I am trying to use all the cooling tin. Curious what tin to use on the oil cooler exit. I know there are 2 pieces, I currently only have the one in the photo. Will be purchasing the second, if needed. Doubt I should leave the first piece off, but I am concerned with the hot air from the cooler blowing directly onto the cylinder below it. The second piece I know directs the air through the hole in the firewall tin, but I am not using that tin since it's a buggy. How would I go about fastening these pieces other than sheet metal screws ? Or am I over thinking this and just run them ?
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

busdaddy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 24, 2016 9:03 pm    Post subject: Re: Dog house oil cooler tin Reply with quote

If it's on an open engine compartment it's likely better to just leave all the ducts off and blow the hot air as far away from the fan inlet as possible. Blowing it down won't warm that cylinder but it does risk reusing the warmed air.

Got the foam strip over and around the cooler?, cooling air doesn't do much if it's going around the sides instead of through the finned part. I see a bolt so I guess you have at least the leading part of the Hoover bit in place (hopefully).

Please don't PM technical questions, ask your problem in public so everyone can play along. If you think it's too stupid post it here
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!

Слава Україні!
bigfatloser
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 24, 2016 9:47 pm    Post subject: Re: Dog house oil cooler tin Reply with quote

Hoover bit in place, foam will be added later, still mocking things up.

Thinking about cutting a long square hole in the slanted side of the duct and riviting mesh to it. Worried about leaving cooler exposed.
slalombuggy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 24, 2016 10:03 pm    Post subject: Re: Dog house oil cooler tin Reply with quote

I didn't run either piece on my glass buggy for 15 years and never had a problem, but it was a street buggy.

brad
Lingwendil
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 25, 2016 4:08 am    Post subject: Re: Dog house oil cooler tin Reply with quote

I had 15 degree lower oil temps on my 61 baja's 1600SP engine when i left the oil cooler exhaust tin and firewall tin off, but it was more protected by being near the firewall and covered by the fibreglass "decklid" piece. On something more open like a buggy or rail I don't think a coarse mesh would be a bad idea, but i wouldn't bother ducting it away.

Modify your Kadrons for SVDA http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=8115884#8115884

Cast iron VJU4BR8 SVDA reference thread- https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=...mp;start=0

Need replacement filters for original Kadron aircleaners? WIX #42087 is a perfect fit, as is Napa Gold #2087!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
clonebug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 25, 2016 6:54 am    Post subject: Re: Dog house oil cooler tin Reply with quote

I have both pieces on mine and I also use the back firewall tin to hold it all in place.

I use the firewall tin to mount a bunch of stuff to it. I have my wiring harness going through it, the coil and coil wires are mounted to it, plus the fuel line and the fuel pressure regulator is also mounted on it.

It also supports all the cooler tin to complete the package.

Take a good long look in the mirror and report back on what you see.

Paul.H wrote:
That one line on that chart is probably better info than you can get from this place in a month

My Megasquirt Fuel Injection Turbo Buggy Build
Water/Alcohol Injection
Audi TT intercooler
Upgraded to MS3Pro-Evo
EcuMaster PMU16
ECUMaster ADU5 Digital Dash

http://www.shoptalkforums.com/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=127936
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: