Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Installing Fog lamps on a '79 question
Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
CTBUG
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 24, 2016 5:16 pm    Post subject: Installing Fog lamps on a '79 question Reply with quote

Am about to install a pair of fog lamps on my '79 Beetle Conv. Wiring includes an inline fuse, relay, and switch. From what point or terminal can/should I get my 12v power from?

thanks
Lingwendil
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 24, 2016 5:41 pm    Post subject: Re: Installing Fog lamps on a '79 question Reply with quote

On my 73 I piggybacked key-on power from the wire feeding the defroster switch in the dash, and pulled battery hot for the relay from the back of the infused side of the fuse box, since you are using your own fuse anyway, keeping it from burdening the stock fuses.

How are you mounting them? Here's how I did them on my 73, but you've got the beefcake bumper shocks so I'm not sure what would be elegant and easy.

Lingwendil wrote:
Thought I would put up a few pics of the fog lights I installed. I bought these from eagle eye lights. They are sold individually, so make sure you buy a pair.

http://www.eagleeyelights.com/catalog2/index.php?m...cts_id=101
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

They are mounted through an angle iron piece that I got from ace hardware, over in the conduit hanger section. Wired up to a relay in the stock console, and to a rocker switch I put in an unused spot on the dash. These suckers make a huge difference when aimed as auxiliary low beams!

Modify your Kadrons for SVDA http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=8115884#8115884

Cast iron VJU4BR8 SVDA reference thread- https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=...mp;start=0

Need replacement filters for original Kadron aircleaners? WIX #42087 is a perfect fit, as is Napa Gold #2087!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
CTBUG
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 25, 2016 6:33 am    Post subject: Re: Installing Fog lamps on a '79 question Reply with quote

Have a pair of large Marchal fog lights that want to mount them on/behind the bumper as you did. There are 2 OEM holes on the bottoms of the bumper that I intend on fabricating small U shape brackets to mount the lights on.
gt1953
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 25, 2016 7:15 am    Post subject: Re: Installing Fog lamps on a '79 question Reply with quote

What I did was to bring a 10 gauge wire from battery to the trunk area. Fused at the battery of course. From there I now have a source of 12 volt power for what ever. When adding the fog light I used a automotive relay for the fog lamps and fused it over course.

72 type 1
72 Squareback
({59 Euro bug, 62, 63, 67, 68, 69, 73 type ones 68 & 69 type two, 68 Ghia all sold})
cfvwtuner
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 25, 2016 7:50 am    Post subject: Re: Installing Fog lamps on a '79 question Reply with quote

When I had my big bumpers, I used an exhaust clamp around the bumper shock and made by bracket off of that.
APPLEGREENVW
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 25, 2016 7:57 am    Post subject: Re: Installing Fog lamps on a '79 question Reply with quote

Here is a photo of 74 & up bumpers with fog lights.

02/76 Beetle sedan
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
rockerarm
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 25, 2016 11:05 am    Post subject: Re: Installing Fog lamps on a '79 question Reply with quote

Hi and WELCOME.
The opinion of a separate wire from a battery source sounds good to me. Install fuse as close to its voltage source as possible. As far as a switch goes, the late super beetle had a plastic panel below the speedo and had a location for a factory rocker switch, if one could be found. I would imagine your state has laws governing when a fog light could be on, meaning with low beams only, but may not draw too much attention if wired otherwise.
Nice project, good luck.
Hope this helps, Bill.
Mudpump
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 25, 2016 12:58 pm    Post subject: Re: Installing Fog lamps on a '79 question Reply with quote

If you actually need fog lights they should be mounted under the bumper to be fully effective. They're more driving lights on top, though maybe more aesthetic there
CTBUG
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 26, 2016 10:16 am    Post subject: Re: Installing Fog lamps on a '79 question Reply with quote

Mudpump wrote:
If you actually need fog lights they should be mounted under the bumper to be fully effective. They're more driving lights on top, though maybe more aesthetic there

I agree 100%. In my case I acquired two 7" round chrome Marchal fog lamps probably 20 years ago and stored them all this time awaiting the acquisition of a vehicle to mount them on. Finally last month was offered a just restored '79 Beetle that I couldn't pass up on. No rust... two words not usually used in New England. I've owned and used on a daily basis 5 beetles ('56, '67, '68. '73, '74). FYI the '56 was my very first car back in 1966. On all of them except the '67 I added fog or driving lamps to. To be honest putting the Marchal fog lamps on the '79 is more of continuing on a tradition. The '79 will not be a daily driver. If I want to have a Beetle as a daily driver, I have an original (no rust) '65 in the back yard awaiting a very easy interior restoration in the future with my son.
Mos6502
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 27, 2016 4:00 am    Post subject: Re: Installing Fog lamps on a '79 question Reply with quote

Mudpump wrote:

I wouldn't put round fog lights under the bumper, as they're far too susceptible to damage there (especially if they're big 7" round ones). Driving lights should be mounted as high as practical because they need to illuminate a long distance away. Fog lights will do fine even at regular headlight height since they're aimed low and only need to light up the area immediately in front of the car. Mercedes built tons of cars with fog lights mounted right at headlight height.

Rectangular lights will mount more neatly under the bumper with plenty of clearance, and really for practical reasons this is the best place for them (as they don't block the trunk or light from the headlights), but it doesn't present a big advantage in their actual effectiveness in fog.
CTBUG
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 27, 2016 6:55 am    Post subject: Re: Installing Fog lamps on a '79 question Reply with quote

Mos6502 wrote:
Mudpump wrote:

I wouldn't put round fog lights under the bumper, as they're far too susceptible to damage there (especially if they're big 7" round ones). Driving lights should be mounted as high as practical because they need to illuminate a long distance away. Fog lights will do fine even at regular headlight height since they're aimed low and only need to light up the area immediately in front of the car. Mercedes built tons of cars with fog lights mounted right at headlight height.

Rectangular lights will mount more neatly under the bumper with plenty of clearance, and really for practical reasons this is the best place for them (as they don't block the trunk or light from the headlights), but it doesn't present a big advantage in their actual effectiveness in fog.

Will be mounting fog lights like in the photo from "VW Beetle" by Paul Wagner
Rome
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 27, 2016 7:27 pm    Post subject: Re: Installing Fog lamps on a '79 question Reply with quote

I also ran a new wire from the battery to the trunk on my '77. Crimped/soldered a large-eye terminal at the wire end for the battery + clamp nut. Wire was 12 gauge. Remember, if wired correctly, the fogs are not on when the high beams/driving lights are on, so you can even do fine with a wire which is the same gauge as the factory high beams (14 gauge?). I ran the wire along the right heater channel along the floor. There is an approx. 1" hole factory-stamped in the inner fenderwell a few inches forward of the front door opening and above the heater channel, where I pulled the wire up into the trunk. Carpet hides all wiring.

Used a conventional (Radio Shack, etc.) 4-terminal work relay for the fog light circuit, and another for the driving lights. For the fogs, the relay was wired:
    terminal 30 gets the power from the battery wire,
    87 goes to the fog lights,
    85 goes to ground,
    86 is a small wire (18 ga. is enough) piggy-backing onto one of the low beams, going to a toggle switch on the dash as the master on/off.
86 is the trigger wire for the relay, so that when the low beams are on, the fogs can be switched on. When the low beams are switched off when going to the high beams, the trigger wire current goes to zero, and the fog light relay goes dead.

After driving the Beetle with this configuration on warm weekends for nearly 15 years, I used the fogs less than a handful of times. I removed them about 8 yrs ago. But the driving lights remain in place. Cool
CTBUG
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 28, 2016 4:57 pm    Post subject: Re: Installing Fog lamps on a '79 question Reply with quote

Rome wrote:

I also ran a new wire from the battery to the trunk on my '77. Crimped/soldered a large-eye terminal at the wire end for the battery + clamp nut. Wire was 12 gauge. Remember, if wired correctly, the fogs are not on when the high beams/driving lights are on, so you can even do fine with a wire which is the same gauge as the factory high beams (14 gauge?). I ran the wire along the right heater channel along the floor. There is an approx. 1" hole factory-stamped in the inner fenderwell a few inches forward of the front door opening and above the heater channel, where I pulled the wire up into the trunk. Carpet hides all wiring.

Used a conventional (Radio Shack, etc.) 4-terminal work relay for the fog light circuit, and another for the driving lights. For the fogs, the relay was wired:
    terminal 30 gets the power from the battery wire,
    87 goes to the fog lights,
    85 goes to ground,
    86 is a small wire (18 ga. is enough) piggy-backing onto one of the low beams, going to a toggle switch on the dash as the master on/off.
86 is the trigger wire for the relay, so that when the low beams are on, the fogs can be switched on. When the low beams are switched off when going to the high beams, the trigger wire current goes to zero, and the fog light relay goes dead.

After driving the Beetle with this configuration on warm weekends for nearly 15 years, I used the fogs less than a handful of times. I removed them about 8 yrs ago. But the driving lights remain in place. Cool

Had a '68 Conv. with auxiliary lighting like in your photo. Was always asked if I was a car Rally person...
Evil Clown
Live

PostPosted: Thu Dec 13, 2018 8:55 am    Post subject: Re: Installing Fog lamps on a '79 question Reply with quote

How do I figure out if these are 6v or 12v?
Just setup one to 12v charger and it lights up. Edit:
It blew out the bulb on 12 so, guess it's tha 6v Confused
The other one is broken...
This is only thread I've found on fog lights...

BTW, I didn't paint the light rings Embarassed
One wire goes to the battery?

It has a 1133 bulb as far as I can tell...

Don't know what it went on

Anyone seen this type before?
If it's 6v, can it be converted?

Quote:
I'll take a Happy Meal with Prozac please

Quote:
kiss my airy VW ass

Quote:
German word for constapation:
Farfrompoopin

Quote:
Chinese word for constipation:
Hung Chow Chow.. & it was GR8!
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Mos6502
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 13, 2018 10:44 am    Post subject: Re: Installing Fog lamps on a '79 question Reply with quote

Pull the bulb out, and see what the base looks like. It might be a British Pre Focus bulb "BPF" if so there may be a 12v equivalent. Those are spot lights by the way, not fog lights.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: