Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

wheel width question
Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
bridgemute
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 24, 2016 8:26 am    Post subject: wheel width question Reply with quote

I purchased some used original VW rims from a local guy but I didn't realize at the time that 2 of them were 4Jx15 and 2 were 4.5Jx15. I had sand blasted them and realized something was up. Since I went through the effort of sandblasting, I don't really want to search for 2 more wheels and start over. The tire size I purchased was 165x80x15.

My question is: will this affect overall tire height on the wider wheels vs. the narrower wheels. I plan on putting the wider wheels on the back and I don't expect to see much difference. I was wondering if anyone else had experience with this.
beetlenut
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 24, 2016 10:06 am    Post subject: Re: wheel width question Reply with quote

It means the tire would sit a 1/4 inch further out on each side. On tires with that tall of profile, I doubt you could even see the difference, let alone worry about the overall difference in diameter of the two. I'd say roll them and be happy with freshly painted rims and new tires! Wink
... I spend more time shaking it than directing it?! I get a pretty decent blast for 8sec. then have to shake it again.
- Words to live by right there!

My 74 Super rebuild thread: http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=6507104#6507104
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
bridgemute
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 24, 2016 10:33 am    Post subject: Re: wheel width question Reply with quote

That is my plan! I appreciate the feedback, I wonder if anyone has done this?
ach60 Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 24, 2016 11:39 am    Post subject: Re: wheel width question Reply with quote

The lesson I learned was to check for bent rims.
I put the 145's on a set of 4", lowered the car 2" with lowering struts, and went to reset my toe in.
3 tries, and I couldn't set it! Finally I discovered rims where bent.
I went through my stash of old rims and found that 3 of the 6 I had were bent!
View user's profile Send private message Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger Gallery Classifieds Feedback
DeathTrap
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 24, 2016 11:56 am    Post subject: Re: wheel width question Reply with quote

And I believe the stock wheels come in different offset too.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: