Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

AAA vs Yelp
Page: 1, 2  Next
Forum Index -> General/Chat Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
[email protected]
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 24, 2016 4:51 am    Post subject: AAA vs Yelp Reply with quote

Triple A is very expensive for what you get. I don't skimp of parts and don't fail to follow up on issues so my car is reliable. In 3 years I have had the car towed once (no oil pressure with a full oil pan) two miles, it would have been faster to walk home and come back with the tow bar. So I was debating not using AAA and use something like Yelp instead. If I break down I need to locate a towing service and I just happen to have the internet in my pocket on my cell phone. So is Yelp a better answer.

My son was accommodating at 7:30 last night in that his Volvo, I failed as a father, broke down and he had recently dropped and broke his phone. Can I call him a tow truck, and it would also be helpful if you paid for it. What an opportunity, I got on Yelp typed in Tow Truck and Crawfordsville, Indiana. It came back with a page full of towing services, some of which had many stars. Shorten the story, I called 3 different towing services and got their daytime number where I can leave a message, none called me back. That's right a big zero on actually summoning a tow truck.

I do find apps available to call tow trucks. Some have a monthly fee that costs more per year than AAA and the towing isn't free, available for people who are really bad at math.

So anyone have an App that actually works or some other trick so I can not send a big check to AAA.
Keith
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 24, 2016 6:03 am    Post subject: Re: AAA vs Yelp Reply with quote

AAA is expensive for what you get?!! Have you ever had to pay for a single tow out of pocket? AAA is cheap compared to that!!! They also find and send you the tow truck so you don't have to be bothered with that.

And you get discounts with AAA at a shitload of places like restaurants, hotels, and whatnot.

"I firmly believe that some villagers from Botswana could probably build a better road than PennDot."- Splitty

"If you do anything to your car someone will hate on you for it. People absolutely love to complain and find fault with others. Don't let it bother you. Just live and have fun."- Lind

Last edited by Keith on Fri Jun 24, 2016 6:28 am; edited 2 times in total
pyrOman
Fire Master

PostPosted: Fri Jun 24, 2016 6:24 am    Post subject: Re: AAA vs Yelp Reply with quote

Triple A! Have had it for many years, will not give it up! However, have had to pay extra on some tows... when having 100 mile free tow but breaking down 200 miles from home, and after upping it to 200 miles then breaking down 500 miles form home! Sad

You do have choices though. Take one. Cool
[email protected]
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 24, 2016 6:28 am    Post subject: Re: AAA vs Yelp Reply with quote

Keith wrote:
AAA is expensive for what you get?!! Have you ever had to pay for a single tow out of pocket? AAA is cheap compared to that!!! They also find and send you the toe truck so you don't have to be bothered with that.

And you get discounts with AAA and a shitload of places like restaurants, hotels, and whatnot.

Yes I have paid out of pocket several times and it has always been less than a years membership. Don't let the cops call the tow company for you, that is when you get hit with the 300.00 tow charge. Call the tow company yourself and ask for a guestimate, usually reasonable.

The hotel discount. I have attempted several times to use the discount at a motel displaying the AAA discount sticker. I have been told every time that we already have been given the lowest rate so the AAA discount won't work. I don't make reservations, I just need a room for the night because I am tired.

I do really like their maps, much better than the stuff I can buy at the gas station.
Keith
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 24, 2016 6:33 am    Post subject: Re: AAA vs Yelp Reply with quote

Never once called a cop to send a tow truck even after she was in an accident and her car had to be towed from the scene.

The tow trucks around here want at least $75 to go 2 miles and then you are quickly over $100 after that.

Never had any issues getting AAA discounts at holiday inn, best western, motel 6, etc.

I pay $140 a year for AAA+ and that includes another driver on it.

Will never not have AAA again.

Good luck playing for a tow truck out of pocket. Maybe your guys are dirt cheap but, I live in a depressed area and the prices are still insane.

"I firmly believe that some villagers from Botswana could probably build a better road than PennDot."- Splitty

"If you do anything to your car someone will hate on you for it. People absolutely love to complain and find fault with others. Don't let it bother you. Just live and have fun."- Lind
[email protected]
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 24, 2016 6:36 am    Post subject: Re: AAA vs Yelp Reply with quote

pyrOman wrote:
Triple A! Have had it for many years, will not give it up! However, have had to pay extra on some tows... when having 100 mile free tow but breaking down 200 miles from home, and after upping it to 200 miles then breaking down 500 miles form home! Sad

I was kind of hoping someone would get on and tell me about a reliable way to find a tow truck, Yelp ain't it.
Keith
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 24, 2016 6:37 am    Post subject: Re: AAA vs Yelp Reply with quote

The reliable way for many is AAA or a service like that through their car insurance.

gt1953
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 24, 2016 6:56 am    Post subject: Re: AAA vs Yelp Reply with quote

My car insurance has towing, open locked car service. AAA does have nice maps, I have found by contacting the State tourism office maps are free or even the local chamber of commerce.

72 type 1
72 Squareback
({59 Euro bug, 62, 63, 67, 68, 69, 73 type ones 68 & 69 type two, 68 Ghia all sold})
Cusser
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 24, 2016 7:37 am    Post subject: Re: AAA vs Yelp Reply with quote

We have AAA for Mrs. Cusser, my youngest daughter, and myself, 100 miles free towing.

1.25 years my daughter had dead distributor in her '98 Pathfinder, so she then had it towed to a shop who diagnosed it, then had it towed 87 miles to my place where I could replace the distributor and time it.

2 months ago the rotor set screw in that '98 Pathfinder distributor came loose on the highway middle of nowhere, Sunday afternoon, free tow 90 miles.

This year Mrs. Cusser needed a tow home 100 miles after her 2005 Yukon transmission went out.

Last week Mrs. Cusser needed tow home 5 miles when 1998 Frontier stalled on a busy street and would not re-start. I got that running, have put 200 miles on it including 100 through desert in mid-day 115F heat, still fine, and check engine code has not returned. So I'm driving that until it happens again and I can pinpoint the cause so might need a tow on that myself. She's fearful to drive that until it goes a few months without stalling out, or until I pinpoint and fix the cause. Even the pro mechanics can't fix what's not broken. Check engine light code said distributor or coil inside it; I have cleaned the connections so far, check engine light has not shown up.

So in last timeframe AAA has been worth it for me. Some years we've needed no help.
1970 VW (owned since 1972) and 1971 VW Convertible (owned since 1976), second owner of each. The '71 now has the 1835 engine, swapped from the '70. Second owner of each. 1988 Mazda B2200 truck, 1998 Frontier, 2014 Yukon, 2004 Frontier King Cab. All manual transmission except for the Yukon. http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=335294 http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=335297
EverettB Premium Member
Administrator

PostPosted: Fri Jun 24, 2016 8:14 am    Post subject: Re: AAA vs Yelp Reply with quote

[email protected] wrote:
The hotel discount. I have attempted several times to use the discount at a motel displaying the AAA discount sticker. I have been told every time that we already have been given the lowest rate so the AAA discount won't work. I don't make reservations, I just need a room for the night because I am tired.

No towing help but I'll respond to the above:
This sounds weird to me if you just walked in but sometimes if you are doing online reservations, the AAA rate is higher than other rates.

One trick since you are talking about having your phone with you:
A lot of times you can go online from your phone and book a room and it's cheaper than walking in and asking at the desk.
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
EZ Gruv
King of Plaid

PostPosted: Fri Jun 24, 2016 8:25 am    Post subject: Re: AAA vs Yelp Reply with quote

I have the top tier AAA for myself, my wife, and my oldest daughter (who has a car but lives 8 hours away from us). I don't care what it costs annually, I'm going to pay it. When you have multiple vintage VWs, it's like paying for some peace of mind.

That being said, I think I've used it more for my GMC Sonoma in the last year than for my VWs.

I also travel a lot, and take advantage of the hotel and rental car discounts, they add up.
My Photography Page.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Twitter Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
pyrOman
Fire Master

PostPosted: Fri Jun 24, 2016 9:38 am    Post subject: Re: AAA vs Yelp Reply with quote

Peace of mind is where it's at! Razz

As others stated, most of the time I've never needed them for nothing. However, in recent times, I've had issues where the vehicle fails while on my way to work in the very early morning. Two times a single fried wire, on one of those times I had it towed back home within enough time to swap the car for another and yet make it to work on time. Also have used it to have my brother's vehicle towed even though he isn't on my account nor his vehicle for that matter. Cool

Here's yet another... had a flat on the freeway in the morning rush hour about 5 miles from home. Rather than risk my life changing a tire on the side of the freeway, called triple A and got towed home safely. Wink
[email protected]
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 24, 2016 10:11 am    Post subject: Re: AAA vs Yelp Reply with quote

Have AAA premier, have no trouble getting a tow, 3 times in the last 10 years, well worth the money to me.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
KTPhil Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 24, 2016 11:22 am    Post subject: Re: AAA vs Yelp Reply with quote

pyrOman wrote:

So clearly you should change to the One Mile Tow package so you never break down more than two miles form home!
KTPhil Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 24, 2016 11:27 am    Post subject: Re: AAA vs Yelp Reply with quote

One caveat with AAA. If you BOOK lodging through them, there is often an additional condition making it expensive to change or cancel the reservation. So the trick is to look up the AAA rate, then call directly to the motel/hotel and ask for their best rate. If AAA is lower, tell the motel/hotel, and they usually match. But you will still be able to change or cancel without the AAA hassle.

I didn't think of this until we almost got bit (hotel accommodated us and bypassed the AAA hit). Now we know why a local AAA employee told me she never books directly through AAA. She was trying to clue us in, but couldn't say WHY while behind the counter!

I was glad to have the security of AAA during the ungodly heat of the 2016 Type 3 Invasion desert trek last week!
raygreenwood
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 24, 2016 11:30 am    Post subject: Re: AAA vs Yelp Reply with quote

[email protected] wrote:
pyrOman wrote:

I was kind of hoping someone would get on and tell me about a reliable way to find a tow truck, Yelp ain't it.

I don't think you understand what AAA REALLY is.....its not some simple "app"for finding a tow truck.

Thats not its whole or main purpose.

I have never had a problem finding a towing company...but you CAN find them hard to get on the phone because real towing companies around cities of any size are BUSY.

Yelp is just an internet list finder....worthless in any respect other than telling you what is in the on-line "phone book"

Yes....AAA can help in many instances...because they get financial and finders "agreements" with towing services that force them to answer the phone when they are busy.....in order to keep being given preferential member referrals by AAA.

You get what you pay for with AAA.....and...If its under 30-50 miles from home....unless its really an emergency....I dont use AAA. Work your resources at hand.
Long Road trips when you dont know the area, are not in your home state etc...AAA can be a ass saver. Ray
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
mg6770
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 24, 2016 12:34 pm    Post subject: Re: AAA vs Yelp Reply with quote

EZ Gruv wrote:
I have the top tier AAA for myself, my wife, and my oldest daughter (who has a car but lives 8 hours away from us). I don't care what it costs annually, I'm going to pay it. When you have multiple vintage VWs, it's like paying for some peace of mind.

I also travel a lot, and take advantage of the hotel and rental car discounts, they add up.

I totally agree. I have 2 aircooled cars as my true daily drivers. My bus alone will see multiple trips above 1000 miles a couple times a year. Worth the peace of mind for sure.
Phil 4:13
crukab
Samba Chef

PostPosted: Fri Jun 24, 2016 3:46 pm    Post subject: Re: AAA vs Yelp Reply with quote

Yelp ?? I'd be Yelpping w/ no phone/interweb service, "sorry, no signal"...

AAA is worth the Buck$, a few years back it was $212 a year for the wife & I (5 tows each) and 2 adult kids (4 tows each), now the kids are off our plan & have their own, I'm sure it's less than $200. With 4-5 cars on the road, it is well worth it, and here in the sticks, drivers never have a problem w/ towing a non-registered old rusty Vdub. I send cars to the shop w/AAA when I don't have time to drive them, had them change a tire on the Jetta wagon @ work when it was -15 degrees, the folks at NAPA remember that I'm w/ AAA & give me the 10% off, even when I space it out... Embarassed

Got this Bus out w/ MY suggested $50 "Extraction" fee:

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

And the 90 mile tow home was FREE !
Also, cell phones don't work in many areas of Vermont....

My Pops:
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=604100&highlight=
I know you will always be with me, rest in peace with no more pain. 8/13/14.....

In the yard right now:
'51 Dodge 5 window truck
'65 Bug
'66 Singlecab
'82 Rabbit Truck Diesel from CALI Smile
'86 Doublecab W/T
'91 Vanagon carat/wolfsbrg.Tiico
'88 Dodge Ram pickup
'11 Jetta Wagon
rcroane Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 24, 2016 3:59 pm    Post subject: Re: AAA vs Yelp Reply with quote

Quote:
I do really like their maps, much better than the stuff I can buy at the gas station.

Maps? Do people still use those with apps like Waze?! Wink
Da TOW'D
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 24, 2016 8:11 pm    Post subject: Re: AAA vs Yelp Reply with quote

We have BCAA here in British Columbia (same thing) and We would not be with out it.
We bought our daughters their membership. They knew what they are getting as a birthday present.
As almost everybody else said It is worth it just for peace of mind.

Hank
'92 Eurovan Willy DD
and NUTS
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> General/Chat All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: