Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

12 to 6 volt conversion
Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
D. Haviland
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 24, 2016 4:40 am    Post subject: 12 to 6 volt conversion Reply with quote

I'm converting a 12 volt engine back to 6 volt. It is running a 009 distributor. I'm wondering if the condenser has to be changed. Are there 6 and 12 volt condensers?
60ragtop
Bonneville Belt Bitch

PostPosted: Fri Jun 24, 2016 5:16 am    Post subject: Re: 12 to 6 volt conversion Reply with quote

no, it does not care about the voltage
Certified Hunter Wheel Alignment Master Technician 1986

tasb wrote:
I've restored a large number too, but I don't toot my horn quite as loud.

sb001 wrote:
maybe he just snapped cause his car sucked Wink
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
D. Haviland
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 24, 2016 4:01 pm    Post subject: Re: 12 to 6 volt conversion Reply with quote

Thank you
Glenn Premium Member
Mr. 010

PostPosted: Fri Jun 24, 2016 4:08 pm    Post subject: Re: 12 to 6 volt conversion Reply with quote

But the electric choke will need to be changed.

Member #1009

#BlueSquare
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
busdaddy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 24, 2016 4:12 pm    Post subject: Re: 12 to 6 volt conversion Reply with quote

And any solenoids on the carb as well.

Please don't PM technical questions, ask your problem in public so everyone can play along. If you think it's too stupid post it here
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!

Слава Україні!
Danwvw
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 26, 2021 3:42 pm    Post subject: Re: 12 to 6 volt conversion Reply with quote

I just did this and there is a lot to it. Mine was a 71 Dual Port Bus engine going into a 1960 Beetle while it's 36 Horse engine gets rebuilt. One thing leads to another.
1. 6 volt generator.
2. 6 volt generator generator stand with correct oil fill for the engine.
3. 12 to 6 volt starter bushing because I have a 68 transaxle that is 12 volt.
4. Probably need a 36 horse fan but I fit it in a aftermarket Doghouse 36 style fan shroud so I used the 36 horse generator backing plate and ran a late Dual Port Fan that I punched holes in for generator cooling as the 36 horse generator backing plates don't have cooling like the dog house backing plates.
5. I got a rebuilt 200mm 6 volt flywheel from "MOFOCO" so I could run a 1600 clutch with the 1600 engine.
6. 6 Volt coil.
7. An 6 volt Electronic Voltage Regulator because 6 Volt systems need all the help they can get.
8. I ran Dual NDIX 32 Porsche carbs that don't have any electrical on them so no solenoids or choke heater elements had to be changed.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: