Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Locating a mechanic
Forum Index -> Thing/Type 181 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
oasis
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 23, 2016 8:08 pm    Post subject: Locating a mechanic Reply with quote

I haven't looked for a mechanic since 1988 when my first VW (a Jetta) went out of warranty. My wife's RX-7 wasn't family friendly, so when that was sold, we have owned VWs ever since because of the shop we have been going to since 1988.

This shop has changed owners although the personnel is much the same. They still work on air-cooled VWs but it is becoming painfully obvious by the delays I have encountered, they'll get to air-cooled VWs whenever they get to them -- even if one sets up a proper appointment in advance.

I realize many if not most folks work on their own ride. That's great, and they have my sincere admiration. That's not me. And with my schedule, it's not going to be me. Still, I was surprised there wasn't a forum for locating mechanics -- just internet reviews.

A regular Bing/Google search is cluttered with VW ads and mechanics who work on VWs in general. The three I see listed are (1) my shop, (2) another shop which has changed owners (at least they say up front it's not a priority anymore), or (3) a shop that is no longer in business.

So, I am posting here for starters since I now own a Thing ... Does anyone know of a Maryland shop that works on air-cooled VWs? I would consider DC or a neighboring state, too, if it came to that.
Shoyrtt
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 24, 2016 2:06 pm    Post subject: Re: Locating a mechanic Reply with quote

I found this place listed in the Split Window Bus section as a reputable shop in business since 1966 and only works on VWs:

http://www.dicksautohaus.com/
EDragnDean
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 24, 2016 4:58 pm    Post subject: Re: Locating a mechanic Reply with quote

There is a business listing under community, better information is typically available from your local clubs.

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/shops/
73 Thing http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=8111202#8111202
70 BusClick to view image
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Joe 20
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 24, 2016 7:23 pm    Post subject: Re: Locating a mechanic Reply with quote

I had the same problem and found a shop in a neighboring city that worked on air cooled engines. Great, thought I and called them. Well, they DO work on ac engines BUT only if they are out of the car!! I found it easier to just do it myself. Just my story...
KAmes
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 24, 2016 8:21 pm    Post subject: Re: Locating a mechanic Reply with quote

This got me thinking why wouldn't a shop want to work on the easiest to repair car ever devised? Then it hit me there are no computer codes to tell them which part to change. Is that being cynical?
wcfvw69 Premium Member
Samba Purist

PostPosted: Fri Jun 24, 2016 8:26 pm    Post subject: Re: Locating a mechanic Reply with quote

KAmes wrote:
This got me thinking why wouldn't a shop want to work on the easiest to repair car ever devised? Then it hit me there are no computer codes to tell them which part to change. Is that being cynical?

No, it's being honest.

Decades of VW and VW parts restoration experience.
The Samba member since 2004.

**Now rebuilding throttle bodies for VW's and Porsche's**
**Restored German Bosch distributors for sale or I can restore yours**
**Restored German Pierburg fuel pumps for sale or I can restore yours**
**Restored Porsche fuel pumps or I can restore yours**
**Restored Porsche distributors or I can restore yours**
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
oasis
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 26, 2016 3:12 am    Post subject: Re: Locating a mechanic Reply with quote

Shoyrtt wrote:
I found this place listed in the Split Window Bus section as a reputable shop in business since 1966 and only works on VWs:

http://www.dicksautohaus.com/

Wow! My best friend's dad who was like an additional parent to me lived there his last 20 years or so of his life. I never heard of this place. It's only an hour or so away although it is on the other side of the (Chesapeake) Bay Bridge. Worth looking into. Thanks! Cool

EDragnDean wrote:
There is a business listing under community, better information is typically available from your local clubs.

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/shops/

I don't know of any local clubs although I'm sure they exist. I don't think I ever looked under or even noticed "community" on here. Embarassed

I'll look a little later on. Thanks! Cool

Joe 20 wrote:
I had the same problem and found a shop in a neighboring city that worked on air cooled engines. Great, thought I and called them. Well, they DO work on ac engines BUT only if they are out of the car!! I found it easier to just do it myself. Just my story...

Back when I had my '71, my intent with our new house was to learn about these things and start doing stuff myself starting with the easiest stuff and working up. At that time, my wife and I were committed to our next house having a garage. Since then, stuff happened.

Bottom line: We bought my dad's house -- extended driveway but no garage -- and I am now carrying defective and replacement parts on my body (much like my Thing Wink ). Neither of us want to move again. So, working on it myself is not an option -- so much so, I would sell Thing before getting into all of that.

KAmes wrote:

There was a shop around here called Phil & Rick's that enjoyed a great reputation. I went there twice on a non-emergency issues with my '71 that I wanted done in a hurry. The ownership apparently has switched twice -- Phil & Rick's is now owned by Lou and Jerry Laughing -- and they no longer do air-cooled. This is likely the answer here.

I don't think that is the answer with the shop I have been going to since '88. Of course, this is all conjecture on my part as my suspicions aren't being confirmed verbally, but I don't think that's the reason here. At least two of their mechanics own air-cooled, and the new owner drives his '66 to work on nice days. My guess is the profit margin isn't as high, and non-daily drivers can be placed on the back burner indefinitely from their point of view even with an appointment. If true, fine, but just say that up front. I'm more ticked that I keep giving the benefit of the doubt, and I'm without Thing for weeks at a time. At some point, actions speak louder than words.

In the end, it doesn't matter why. It's now WTF should I do about it. I missed a local show yesterday about an hour away in my wife's home town, and the weather this weekend is gorgeous. I'm taking Thing back on Friday even if nothing has been done, and no amount of words will change my mind. Thing can stay in storage just as easily as on their back parking lot.
vwinnovator
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 26, 2016 7:17 am    Post subject: Re: Locating a mechanic Reply with quote

My shop is in pasadena, MD, 21122

all we do is vw as well..

PM'd you
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Thing/Type 181 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: