Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Steering Bearing
Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
silverdream
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 23, 2016 1:26 pm    Post subject: Steering Bearing Reply with quote

Hi i am looking for a lower steering bearing for a 72 super beetle it seem they cant be got i was offered a second hand one from the uk but whats the point in that anyone know of a supplier around europe to buy one & get me back on the road . Thanks
I did track this down from the usa but they want 30 euro postage & i would be hit with customs so i am leaving it as a last resort.
http://toplineparts.com/lower-steering-bushing-71-74.html
[email protected]
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 23, 2016 5:54 pm    Post subject: Re: Steering Bearing Reply with quote

Maybe try placing a wanted ad over on the Cal-Look Forum. It has quite a few more European users. Topline is the only place I know of selling them new. Maybe try, and get the actual VW part number, and Google it.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
green1303
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 23, 2016 7:36 pm    Post subject: Re: Steering Bearing Reply with quote

It's 113415511 and not available from VW Classic Parts, but a Google search for the part number returns a Porsche part. I don't know if it would fit.
Scorpwanna
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 24, 2016 12:08 am    Post subject: Re: Steering Bearing Reply with quote

They don't make the needle bearing to replace the one in the lower steering column. If you can't find a NOS or something, you have to buy a bushing to replace it and modify your steering shaft.

Yes this that you posted is as close as we'll ever come: http://toplineparts.com/lower-steering-bushing-71-74.html

Topic on the bushing with youtube link installing it.
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=587120&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=0
Received: Washington, USA
Original Color: L 12 D Shantung Yellow
SOLEX 34-PICT 3 Carb
I've got a Bentley
View user's profile Send private message Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
[email protected]
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 24, 2016 5:56 am    Post subject: Re: Steering Bearing Reply with quote

green1303 wrote:
It's 113415511 and not available from VW Classic Parts, but a Google search for the part number returns a Porsche part. I don't know if it would fit.

That's interesting. One of the sites had a schematic, and Porsche was using it as a lower column bearing as well. VW, and Porsche shared some stuff within the Beetles/924/944/914 in the 70's, so I'd say give that a shot. Porsche seems to be doing well with having replacement parts available for models even 30-40 years old.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: