Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Need new Shocks
Forum Index -> Ghia Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
lnestes
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 23, 2016 12:48 pm    Post subject: Need new Shocks Reply with quote

My 70 vert is in dire need of new shocks.
Does anyone have suggestions or experience as to which ones to buy.
My car is not a daily driver and only used for occasional short trips and car shows. Thanks for any help
73 Thing SOLD
30 model A roadster hot rod
sactojesse
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 23, 2016 1:58 pm    Post subject: Re: Need new Shocks Reply with quote

For comfort and ride quality, the stock replacement Boge fluid shocks are good. If you want something sportier, you could use low-pressure gas shocks such as the KYB GR2/Excel-G. A high pressure gas shock such as the KYB Gas-A-Just will give you the firmest ride. I'm running GR2s front and Gas-A-Just rear. Don't run the Gas-A-Just shocks in front. They are too stiff.
rcooled
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 23, 2016 3:20 pm    Post subject: Re: Need new Shocks Reply with quote

No need to spend extra $$ on shocks for a car that just gets occasional use around town...these OE-type shocks will work just fine:

http://www2.cip1.com/ProductDetails.asp?ProductCode=VWC%2D113%2D413%2D031%2DE

http://www2.cip1.com/ProductDetails.asp?ProductCode=VWC%2D113%2D513%2D031%2DN
'69.5 Ghia convertible and
'62, '63, '65, '69 Bugs (all long gone)
c21darrel
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 23, 2016 3:59 pm    Post subject: Re: Need new Shocks Reply with quote

As long as we are saving some $$ Very Happy
RockAuto.com has the same OE style shocks for $23. Rockauto part # is 313898 for VW part # 113413031E. $24 for IRS rear, 031305. Pretty good deal. Thats an extra $20 bucks to fill the tank and drive the tires off it.
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=693583&highlight=67+dc
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!
lnestes
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 23, 2016 5:31 pm    Post subject: Re: Need new Shocks Reply with quote

Thanks all. Just sent my order off to Rockauto.
73 Thing SOLD
30 model A roadster hot rod
J1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 20, 2017 11:53 pm    Post subject: Re: Need new Shocks Reply with quote

Looks like those shocks from rockauto are now $21. Wait long enough and you can save a couple bucks Smile

Sorry for the ignorance but do these and any other front shock for a ball joint beam require the vw specific mounting kit? Or do they come with their own mounting hardware?
akear
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 21, 2017 10:38 am    Post subject: Re: Need new Shocks Reply with quote

Mounting kit is separate and if you need new shocks you'll need new kit too. I replaced dust covers as well. There may be better prices but this CIP1 link shows images for both...
http://www2.cip1.com/SearchResults.asp?Search=131-498-441-CP
72KarmannGhia
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 03, 2018 9:15 am    Post subject: Re: Need new Shocks Reply with quote

Good thread. My Ghia had been setting for 31 years and shocks are shot. I want to return to original as possible. Heard that the KYB G2/Excel G are too stiff for the Ghia and raises front end about an inch.

Has anybody found dust covers and mounting hardware less expensive than CIP1? Raises price substantially to buy each. If not available on RockAuto will the CIP1 dust cover and mounting hardware fit the Sachs product below. Is there an 800 number for Rock Auto that I missed? Could not find dust cover and mounting hardware on Rock Auto.

Front Fluid OEM Replacement Shock - If I interpreted the thread above correctly.
SACHS 313898 {#113413031D, 113413031E, 113413031K} Twin-Tube; Type:Oil Pressure; Mounting Type:Top pin, Bottom eye Info
Front; w/ double jointed axle rear suspension

My 1972 Ghia Coupe, does it have the double jointed axle rear suspension?
What about the IAP brand on Rock Auto for front and rear? Fluid versus Gas? I prefer a less stiff ride but have no experience in selecting shocks. This will not be a daily driver. The Monroe's are fluid but I do not want Blue.

Thanks,
KGCoupe
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 03, 2018 9:34 am    Post subject: Re: Need new Shocks Reply with quote

72KarmannGhia wrote:

Front Fluid OEM Replacement Shock - If I interpreted the thread above correctly.
SACHS 313898 {#113413031D, 113413031E, 113413031K} Twin-Tube; Type:Oil Pressure; Mounting Type:Top pin, Bottom eye Info
Front; w/ double jointed axle rear suspension

My 1972 Ghia Coupe, does it have the double jointed axle rear suspension?
Thanks,

That is the only one of your questions that I can address, and the answer is "Yes" your 1972 Karmann Ghia does indeed have the double jointed axle rear suspension (which is commonly referred to as Independent Rear Suspension, or IRS).

The IRS suspension became standard on all Karmann Ghias sold in the U.S. beginning in the 1969 model year, however it also came standard on just those 1968 model year Karmann Ghias fitted with the AutoStick transaxle.
72KarmannGhia
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 03, 2018 10:04 am    Post subject: Re: Need new Shocks Reply with quote

Thanks ---- Good to know that IRS and double jointed axle rear suspension are the same. Appreciated.

Anybody have any shock recommendations? I have new Michelin XZX on route and need to replace the shocks before I place the new tires on the Ghia. Leaning towards fluid versus gas.... perhaps KYB Excel gas on back and fluid on front?

Thanks again
andk5591
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 03, 2018 12:12 pm    Post subject: Re: Need new Shocks Reply with quote

I use excels all around unless I want it stiffer in the rear. Then I will use Gas Adjusts in the rear only. You still get a nice comfortable ride.
"John's car" 64 VW woodie - The first ever
Maxine 61 Cal-look bug - Cindy's daily driver.
Max - 73 standard Beetle hearse project - For sale
66 bug project - Real patina & Suby conversion
There's more, but not keeping them...
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
72KarmannGhia
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 03, 2018 4:43 pm    Post subject: Re: Need new Shocks Reply with quote

OK, thanks for the advice. I just ordered the KYB Excels from RockAuto. Great price as it was $92 with shipping for all 4 shocks. Half the price of the local chain.

Thanks all for your help. Hopefully here by Friday to install.
swavananda
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 04, 2018 1:50 pm    Post subject: Re: Need new Shocks Reply with quote

CB has a good deal on the mounting kits:

http://www.cbperformance.com/product-p/3993.htm

IMO the gas shocks are to stiff for the light front ends. Sure if you only use the car a little bit , No big deal. But for a car that gets a lot of road time ,Oil is the only way to go. It is very noticeable ride difference .
72KarmannGhia
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 07, 2018 10:06 pm    Post subject: Re: Need new Shocks Reply with quote

Thanks... just checked back in. Probably good advice on the fluid shocks as I just received my KYB Excels today. Fronts were made in Japan. Rears were Japan and Mexico with the one from Japan leaking in the box. So, will need to send back to Rock Auto.

Any experience out there with Rock Auto? Don't like using shocks from different country manufacturer (Japan and Mexico); 3 of 4 from Japan and 1 from Mexico.

Now that one rear shock is leaking (Japan), in the box, my confidence has lowered greatly.

Anybody have a telephone number for Rock Auto to see how I can perhaps bye the Sachs/Boge fluids instead from them?
72KarmannGhia
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 07, 2018 10:08 pm    Post subject: Re: Need new Shocks Reply with quote

Whoops …. I meant "buy."
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Ghia All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: