Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

New buggy windscreen - Measurements?
Forum Index -> Kit Car/Fiberglass Buggy/356 Replica Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Moondrip
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 23, 2016 12:16 am    Post subject: New buggy windscreen - Measurements? Reply with quote

I just recieved a new, aluminium windscreen from EMPI.

The measurements does confuse me. Which measurement is the correct one? Is there a difference when ordering? Is it adjustable? See attached pic

i would suspect that the screen fits from 41, 3/4" up to 42, 1/2. But why do they set 41, 3/4 inch as minimum

God forbid that my buggybody should be 40, 3/4" wide... or perhaps 41" (dead on) Then it wouldnt work at aaall(?)... Im honestly upset.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

manxdavid
Samba Member

Location: David Jones, Anglesey, North Wales, UK. Manxclub #678.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 23, 2016 1:05 am    Post subject: Re: New buggy windscreen - Measurements? Reply with quote

If it's 'frame only' I presume they mean you can trim the bottom rail to suit the width required, then get it glazed locally.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Moondrip
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 23, 2016 1:22 am    Post subject: Re: New buggy windscreen - Measurements? Reply with quote

manxdavid wrote:
If it's 'frame only' I presume they mean you can trim the bottom rail to suit the width required, then get it glazed locally.

It is the "frame only" indeed. Hmm i would suspect so now when you say it
Dale M.
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 23, 2016 7:11 am    Post subject: Re: New buggy windscreen - Measurements? Reply with quote

http://bugshieldsbydino.com/

Dale

"Kellison Sand Piper Roadster" For Street & Show.
"Joe Pody Sandrover" Buggy with 2180 for Autocross (Sold)
============================================================
All suggestions and advice are purely my own opinion. You are free to ignore them if you wish ...
manxdavid
Samba Member

Location: David Jones, Anglesey, North Wales, UK. Manxclub #678.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 23, 2016 7:36 am    Post subject: Re: New buggy windscreen - Measurements? Reply with quote

Dale M. wrote:

Dale

Sure but when the OP said he'd just recieved the screen it sounded like he'd already bought one to me.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Dale M.
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 23, 2016 10:12 am    Post subject: Re: New buggy windscreen - Measurements? Reply with quote

manxdavid wrote:
Dale M. wrote:

Dale

Sure but when the OP said he'd just recieved the screen it sounded like he'd already bought one to me.

Frame (only) .... And it might be returnable ....

Dale

"Kellison Sand Piper Roadster" For Street & Show.
"Joe Pody Sandrover" Buggy with 2180 for Autocross (Sold)
============================================================
All suggestions and advice are purely my own opinion. You are free to ignore them if you wish ...
HeidelbergJohn4.0
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 23, 2016 7:36 pm    Post subject: Re: New buggy windscreen - Measurements? Reply with quote

my Dino's windshield has about the same 3/4 inch of flex. between the mounting legs.
Machette Speedster
2012 Passat TDI SE (sadly sitting in a buyback parking lot somewhere waiting for it's heart to be ripped out.)
Moondrip
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 27, 2016 4:47 am    Post subject: Re: New buggy windscreen - Measurements? Reply with quote

HeidelbergJohn4.0 wrote:
my Dino's windshield has about the same 3/4 inch of flex. between the mounting legs.

OK - So it is flexible. Tho pure aluminium. Does it need pre-heating Before "flexing/bending" the mountinglegs?
andk5591
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 27, 2016 4:58 am    Post subject: Re: New buggy windscreen - Measurements? Reply with quote

Installed a new windshield on a Berrien recently. Seems like most windshields come complete, BUT you can have a local glass shop make your glass if needed. Just so its DOT safety glass for a street car.

Theres several things to know . First - the measurement is taken from the flat base of the windshield as it sits across the dash.

If the body was made using a mold that used the cowl area from a Myers Manx, the angle of the side of the dash is different on both sides, so you will need to bend (by hand and carefully) the bottom legs of the windshield diferently. Be careful. I ended up replacing the glass - not 100% sure if I put the little crack in the corner or if it was from shipping damage.

If you need, to add a little width, you can make aluminum spacers for the bottom rail. Take your time and you wont even notice them. I added 1/8" to the last one I did.
"John's car" 64 VW woodie - The first ever
Maxine 61 Cal-look bug - Cindy's daily driver.
Max - 73 standard Beetle hearse project - For sale
66 bug project - Real patina & Suby conversion
There's more, but not keeping them...
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Moondrip
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 27, 2016 5:11 am    Post subject: Re: New buggy windscreen - Measurements? Reply with quote

andk5591 wrote:
Installed a new windshield on a Berrien recently. Seems like most windshields come complete, BUT you can have a local glass shop make your glass if needed. Just so its DOT safety glass for a street car.

Theres several things to know . First - the measurement is taken from the flat base of the windshield as it sits across the dash.

If the body was made using a mold that used the cowl area from a Myers Manx, the angle of the side of the dash is different on both sides, so you will need to bend (by hand and carefully) the bottom legs of the windshield diferently. Be careful. I ended up replacing the glass - not 100% sure if I put the little crack in the corner or if it was from shipping damage.

If you need, to add a little width, you can make aluminum spacers for the bottom rail. Take your time and you wont even notice them. I added 1/8" to the last one I did.

Yes, I will hav eto bend the legs slightly inwards in order to make the frame "hug" the dash of the body. Here goes! thank you
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Kit Car/Fiberglass Buggy/356 Replica All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: