Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

73 Super body off floor repair - Q about positioning saw horses
Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Cutlass3800
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 22, 2016 8:13 pm    Post subject: 73 Super body off floor repair - Q about positioning saw horses Reply with quote

Hey everyone. I'm preparing to take the body off of my 1973 Super Beetle to replace the passenger floor pan. I've watched the BugMe Video, YouTube videos and read posts on these forums.

I've learned that the BugMe videos don't cover everything. I will need to remove the rear fenders and disconnect the heater Y cables. My big concern however is placing the front end on the saw horses. The 73 has those shock absorbers behind the bumper instead of straight metal brackets - I don't think they would hold the weight of the body.

Am I wrong? What did others do Question

Thanks!
Dodgy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 22, 2016 11:40 pm    Post subject: Re: 73 Super body off floor repair - Q about positioning saw horses Reply with quote

Here's where I put the supports on mine. There is a thin metal lip on the inner wing, but a block of wood just behind that panel takes the weight on the part where the front end bolts onto the framehead. Sorry, this is the best photo I have.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

beetlenut
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 23, 2016 5:50 am    Post subject: Re: 73 Super body off floor repair - Q about positioning saw horses Reply with quote

I put mine under the "A" pillar, because I had to do a lot of work on the front end.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

... I spend more time shaking it than directing it?! I get a pretty decent blast for 8sec. then have to shake it again.
- Words to live by right there!

My 74 Super rebuild thread: http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=6507104#6507104
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Cutlass3800
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 23, 2016 11:48 am    Post subject: Re: 73 Super body off floor repair - Q about positioning saw horses Reply with quote

Beetlenut... did you and some friends just lift the body off by hand and carry it over to those stands?

Dodgy... did you temporarily rest the front end on the thin metal lips of the inner wing until you got the chassis out and then repositioned the supports or is there enough room to set the body on the point you describe and still drop the chassis ?

Thanks for the responses and posting the photo's gentlemen! I'm also considering welding something up to bolt into where the bumper shocks go.
beetlenut
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 23, 2016 1:00 pm    Post subject: Re: 73 Super body off floor repair - Q about positioning saw horses Reply with quote

Cutlass3800 wrote:
Beetlenut... did you and some friends just lift the body off by hand and carry it over to those stands?

Dodgy... did you temporarily rest the front end on the thin metal lips of the inner wing until you got the chassis out and then repositioned the supports or is there enough room to set the body on the point you describe and still drop the chassis ?

Thanks for the responses and posting the photo's gentlemen! I'm also considering welding something up to bolt into where the bumper shocks go.

Nope! Just did it myself with one come-a-long. Rolled the car into the garage, hooked one end to some 2x4's laid across the rafters, and just lifted one end up onto the sawhorses at a time. Just did the reverse a few weeks ago to put it back on the pan. With the glass out and fenders and deck lids off, the body itself only weighs maybe a few hundred pounds. I made the sawhorses wide enough to roll the pan out from under when I wanted to work on it, and store it beneath the body when I was done.
... I spend more time shaking it than directing it?! I get a pretty decent blast for 8sec. then have to shake it again.
- Words to live by right there!

My 74 Super rebuild thread: http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=6507104#6507104
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Dodgy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 23, 2016 11:59 pm    Post subject: Re: 73 Super body off floor repair - Q about positioning saw horses Reply with quote

Cutlass3800 wrote:

No, I lifted the front of the body at the bumper mounts using a chain hoist.
I wanted the support further forward as I had to replace the heater channels & front bulkhead, so needed these areas clear.
The thin edges won't support the body, but the strong framehead fixing is less than 1" higher on the inside face. I think you can 'just' see the extra piece of wood in the photo that is taking the weight and protecting the thin edge.
Dwayne1m
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 24, 2016 2:20 pm    Post subject: Re: 73 Super body off floor repair - Q about positioning saw horses Reply with quote

This is how I replaced the heater channels on my 74SB. I removed all 4 wheels and set the chassis on jack stands. I then put two 4X4's under the bumper brackets which allowed me to lift the body off the chassis with a floor jack just enough to cut out the bad channels. I could then lower the body for fitment of the new channels.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: