Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Needle Valve Question
Page: 1, 2  Next
Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
vamram Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 22, 2016 6:11 pm    Post subject: Needle Valve Question Reply with quote

I got stuck on the side of the road today due to fuel starvation, caused by a stuck needle valve. I can manually cause it to stick by pushing the piston up into the valve, and pop it out w/canned air. Is there a way to fix these once they start sticking or are they junk at that point?

Or - could this be an issue of too low fuel pressure?

Thanks!

Victor

'74 Super 9/16 - present, in refurb process.
'73 Super - 6/18 - Present - Daily Driver!
'75 Super Le Grande...waiting it's turn in line behind '74.
Click to view image
Save the Supers!!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
busdaddy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 22, 2016 6:48 pm    Post subject: Re: Needle Valve Question Reply with quote

I guess teeing in a gauge would be the first step towards an answer.

Please don't PM technical questions, ask your problem in public so everyone can play along. If you think it's too stupid post it here
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!

Слава Україні!
Old n' slow
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 22, 2016 6:50 pm    Post subject: Re: Needle Valve Question Reply with quote

Low fuel pressure shouldn't effect it like that, just the weight of the float should pull the needle valve down & open.

1964(sunroof)1967 & (2)1968 Beetles , 1968 Squareback , 1963 (23 window )Deluxe Sunroof Bus , 1969 Westphalia camper, 1974 Dasher , 1985 Vanagon , (2) 1981 Rabbit Diesels & a 1991 Jetta Diesel .
Old n' slow
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 22, 2016 6:53 pm    Post subject: Re: Needle Valve Question Reply with quote

Old n' slow wrote:
Low fuel pressure shouldn't effect it like that, just the weight of the float should pull the needle valve down & open.

I take that back, I was thinking about some other carburetters that have the needle valve wired on the float arm.....I believe Solex carb's are free floating needle valves??? Been awhile since I took mine apart.

1964(sunroof)1967 & (2)1968 Beetles , 1968 Squareback , 1963 (23 window )Deluxe Sunroof Bus , 1969 Westphalia camper, 1974 Dasher , 1985 Vanagon , (2) 1981 Rabbit Diesels & a 1991 Jetta Diesel .
wcfvw69 Premium Member
Samba Purist

PostPosted: Wed Jun 22, 2016 7:01 pm    Post subject: Re: Needle Valve Question Reply with quote

The last new rebuild kit I used, I installed the "new" needle valve. MISTAKE.. It stuck open and flooded my engine.

I had a very old used needle valve, may be original in my carb parts. I checked it and it worked smoothly in/out w/out sticking. I've had no issues since installing this old valve.

Just another sad statement about the woeful quality of "new" parts sold today.

Decades of VW and VW parts restoration experience.
The Samba member since 2004.

**Now rebuilding throttle bodies for VW's and Porsche's**
**Restored German Bosch distributors for sale or I can restore yours**
**Restored German Pierburg fuel pumps for sale or I can restore yours**
**Restored Porsche fuel pumps or I can restore yours**
**Restored Porsche distributors or I can restore yours**
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Tim Donahoe
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 22, 2016 11:21 pm    Post subject: Re: Needle Valve Question Reply with quote

I wonder if something is stuck in the valve, like a tiny bit of rubber hose, or whatever.

Tim at Volkzbitz know which brand to get. Email him and ask.

Damn, Victor, you've been screwed lately.

Keep your chin up.

Tim

Richard O'Brien
vamram Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 23, 2016 3:15 am    Post subject: Re: Needle Valve Question Reply with quote

Ah no worries. 2 failed aftermarket parts, one bit me because I forgot to renew it when I redid all of the other hoses. Driving it to work today too. Very Happy

Click to view image
Save the Supers!!
vamram Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 23, 2016 6:30 pm    Post subject: Re: Needle Valve Question Reply with quote

Happened again this evening. I swapped out the carb to one of the VolkzBitz-built ones and continued on my way.

I suppose the needle valve I took off of the spare [EDIT] carbs could also have been bad.... but now I'm concerned. Can a mechanical fuel pump be intermittently bad? can the Bakelite holding the rod expand more with age? it's [EDIT] older than I've owned the car (3.5+ years).

Click to view image
Save the Supers!!

Last edited by vamram on Thu Jun 23, 2016 8:55 pm; edited 1 time in total
Tim Donahoe
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 23, 2016 8:47 pm    Post subject: Re: Needle Valve Question Reply with quote

Are the days getting hotter there than in the past?

Checking out the flange is easy enough. Just remove the pump and then the rod (first, always, first), then remove the flange.

Let the flange fall back into the hole. If it slides in easily, it's okay--even on a cold engine.

Use new gaskets to re-install everything.

By the way, I think Tim at Volkzbitz uses a rebuild kit from Wagner. I may be wrong, however. And I don't know if the kit comes with a new needle valve, for that matter. Maybe you can shoot him an email and ask him.

Tim

Richard O'Brien
williamM
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 24, 2016 6:41 am    Post subject: Re: Needle Valve Question Reply with quote

I've had the parting line gasket cut poorly and the float would hang up on the excess gasket- first bump I hit pulling over to the side of the road freed it up- can imagine how many possibilities there were for that before I found the poorly cut gasket- just trimmed it close on both sided.

opinion untempered by fact is ignorance.

Don't step in any!
johnnypan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 24, 2016 6:49 am    Post subject: Re: Needle Valve Question Reply with quote

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

take out needle,lay extra fine scotchbite on bench,draw sides of needle across scotchbrite to polish it till it slides in the bore.
vamram Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 24, 2016 7:12 am    Post subject: Re: Needle Valve Question Reply with quote

Thanks, I will give it a go.

Click to view image
Save the Supers!!
vamram Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 24, 2016 3:18 pm    Post subject: Re: Needle Valve Question Reply with quote

Happened again with the VolkzBitz carb, although I was able to keep it running after stumbling for a minute.

I'm pretty sure at this point it has to be an issue with the fuel pump rod and the bakelite piece. Johnnypan - would u agree?

Click to view image
Save the Supers!!
Tim Donahoe
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 24, 2016 3:56 pm    Post subject: Re: Needle Valve Question Reply with quote

It could be the rod sticking in the flange after it gets warm. Easy enough to check.

I'm thinking you may have a problem with the pump, though.

Check both.

Tim

Richard O'Brien
slalombuggy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 24, 2016 3:56 pm    Post subject: Re: Needle Valve Question Reply with quote

If the rod and flange are original to your car and never gave you an issue, I doubt they are causing the problem now, they've been pumping away for years without issue why would they suddenly start?

Personally, I have had to pry more than a few flanges out of cases and the pumps worked fine. And prying an old flange out of the case risks breaking it as they love to stick after being in the engine for years and become brittle. If you really want to check it, get the engine hot and just lift up the pump and see how easy the rods slides

Check your fuel pressure as mentioned above and go from there.

brad
vamram Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 24, 2016 4:34 pm    Post subject: Re: Needle Valve Question Reply with quote

Thanks all for your input. I will pick up the troubleshooting bright and early tomorrow a.m.

This I not the original pump. It's probably about 2.5 years old. I don't recall if I replaced the pushrod, definitely left the bakelite guide in its place. The factory engine had an AE code this one has an AK engine code which I think is a replacement engine. [EDIT] I have no idea if the bakelite piece is original to the engine.

Click to view image
Save the Supers!!
adam78
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 24, 2016 5:09 pm    Post subject: Re: Needle Valve Question Reply with quote

I had this issue, the needle valve was sticking half open. So it allowed fuel to get into the bowl, but not fast enough if I ran above 45mph. It was a pain to find that culprit! New needle valve fixed it. It's been about 8 months now with no issues, until the other day she acted the same as soon as I tried to leave somewhere with the engine warm. Although it happened twice that week, it hasnt happened again, so I have no idea what this new issue is on my end.
vamram Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 24, 2016 5:53 pm    Post subject: Re: Needle Valve Question Reply with quote

I thought it was that the 1st time. Then it happened the next day w/the replacement needle valve. Then again today w/a German Solex 34 PICT-4 rebuilt for me by possibly the most skilled carb restorer on the site...each time after the car had been sitting for about 20 minutes after a 20+mile drive in 85*+ weather....it ain't the needle valve.

Click to view image
Save the Supers!!
busdaddy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 24, 2016 7:04 pm    Post subject: Re: Needle Valve Question Reply with quote

It's times like this I temporarily install an electric rotary pump in line bypassing the mechanical and drive it for a few days to see if the issue still occurs.
Avoid the noisy clicker pumps unless you have a good fuel pressure regulator to tame it down to a manageble pressure.

Please don't PM technical questions, ask your problem in public so everyone can play along. If you think it's too stupid post it here
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!

Слава Україні!
sb001
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 24, 2016 7:48 pm    Post subject: Re: Needle Valve Question Reply with quote

Each time it happened while you were driving? Like the car was actually in motion and then just seemed like it stopped getting fuel and slowed and stalled?

1969 autostick sedan, family owned since new
1600 SP engine
Solex 30 PICT 3 carburetor
Bosch 113905205AE autostick distributor
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: