Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Ash tray slot
Forum Index -> Thing/Type 181 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
BlissBignall
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 22, 2016 12:49 pm    Post subject: Ash tray slot Reply with quote

It appears that not only was the ah tray removed, but the entire assembly is gone. Does anyone know where I might find the ash tray slot for a 74 Thing? I don't need the ashtray, but would like to mount the cup holder that's designed to go in the ashtray slot.
1974 Thing....Daily driver on sunny days
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
BlissBignall
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 22, 2016 12:58 pm    Post subject: Re: Ash tray slot Reply with quote

Or is it possible that the ash tray slot is more of a metal tongue under the dash? It appears to be a couple inches wide by maybe 1/32nd or 1/16th inch thick. It appears to be anchored further back behind the dash.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
germanbilly
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 22, 2016 1:35 pm    Post subject: Re: Ash tray slot Reply with quote

That is it.
GB
HUGO bOSS
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 23, 2016 11:35 pm    Post subject: Re: Ash tray slot Reply with quote

The ashtry slot is similar to the karman ghia one...
wbailey2112
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 24, 2016 5:05 am    Post subject: Re: Ash tray slot Reply with quote

You need the ash tray, the ash tray bracket and the screws to mount the bracket to the rails that you see under your dash. I thought that the ash tray mounted directly to these rails but then realized that there is a bracket required.

You can find ash trays at The Thing shop and sometimes on the classifidies here on The Samba. I can tell you that the bracket is not very expensive but the ash tray in decent shape can be. You should also check eBay.

I'm told that the Karman Ghia used the same ash tray but you will need to search the forums to confirm.
GI Joe
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 24, 2016 5:44 am    Post subject: Re: Ash tray slot Reply with quote

I picked up a bracket and cup holder from Mike Basso last year at KTE.... Really love having my cup holders in there..

The rails attach under the dash, then the plug n chug slides onto the rails(in place of the ash tray).. Nice setup, and easy to remove the holder if/when needed.
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=8080337#8080337
www.NLEOMF.com
Respect, Honor, Remember
BlissBignall
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 24, 2016 8:37 am    Post subject: Re: Ash tray slot Reply with quote

Thanks! The Plug and Chug is what I want to put in. I do wonder if it will block my glovebox door (the aftermarket one from the Thing Shop) from opening....Wouldn't think a cup holder would be such a big deal!
Madkel
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 24, 2016 12:10 pm    Post subject: Re: Ash tray slot Reply with quote

The Plug n Chug does block the full opening of Thing Shop glove box door, unless you have the radio panel smaller glove box door kit.

I have The Thing Shop full size glove box door and the Plug n Chug needs to slide away from the dash to get access to the box.

Fortunately, it slides out and in a bit to gain access and then hold the bottle of water closer to the dash.

I like mine.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Thing/Type 181 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: