Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Gutless after rebuild
Page: 1, 2  Next
Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Flare
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 22, 2016 3:55 am    Post subject: Gutless after rebuild Reply with quote

Hi all, I'm at my wit's end here, I just rebuilt a perfectly running 1600 to a 1776. The combo I'm running is 90.5mm pistons, 69mm VW crank, dp heads, Engle 110, and dual Solex 34 Pict 3 carbs with 130 main jets, electronic points and a 009 dizzy. I'm confident that the tappet timing is correct. Note, this is my first engine build also. I have managed to get the car running alright after quite a bit of tweaking of the carbs and dizzy - I managed today to get it running relatively nicely and when I took it down the road it was totally gutless. Would anyone be able to give me an idea where i f***d up?
MURZI
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 22, 2016 4:07 am    Post subject: Re: Gutless after rebuild Reply with quote

Dual solex 34 pict 3's?

Double check your timing. Make sure at TDC you are firing #1. Rockers for number 3 should be open at TDC.

Should pull pretty hard with that combo.
45 Dells
A1 sidewinder
Fk44 cam
TinCanFab
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 22, 2016 5:52 am    Post subject: Re: Gutless after rebuild Reply with quote

MURZI wrote:
Dual solex 34 pict 3's?

Double check your timing. Make sure at TDC you are firing #1. Rockers for number 3 should be open at TDC.

I had the same combo with ICT's, and it was very peppy. But it was as slow as a 36 horse until I reamed the main jets one size at a time, leaving everything else alone. Before, I couldn't do more than 40 going up any hill. After jetting, it screamed between 40-80 mph, couldn't be happier.

My first guess is carbs/ignition. My second guess is something else off with the combo, like huge deck height and low compression ratio. A big cam bleeds off a ton of cylinder pressure at lower RPM where the stock cam does the opposite. Without bumping the cr, it will be gutless

They're never really ever finished 58 rag build...
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=658092
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
mark tucker
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 22, 2016 3:07 pm    Post subject: Re: Gutless after rebuild Reply with quote

roachdub58 wrote:
MURZI wrote:
Dual solex 34 pict 3's?

I had the same combo with ICT's, and it was very peppy. But it was as slow as a 36 horse until I reamed the main jets one size at a time, leaving everything else alone. Before, I couldn't do more than 40 going up any hill. After jetting, it screamed between 40-80 mph, couldn't be happier.

My first guess is carbs/ignition. My second guess is something else off with the combo, like huge deck height and low compression ratio. A big cam bleeds off a ton of cylinder pressure at lower RPM where the stock cam does the opposite. Without bumping the cr, it will be gutless
x3.
[email protected]
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 22, 2016 3:16 pm    Post subject: Re: Gutless after rebuild Reply with quote

dual 34 PICTs, or PDSITs? The 34 PDSITs come with puny 22mm venturis, those are too small for a 1200.

http://vwparts.aircooled.net/34mm-PDSIT-Solex-Venturi-28mm-EACH-p/34-pdsit-28mm-venturi.htm

Please do NOT send me Private Messages through the Samba PM System (I will not see them). Send me an e-mail to john at aircooled dot net

"Like" our Facebook page at
http://www.facebook.com/vwpartsaircoolednet
and get a 5% off code for use on one order for VW Parts ON OUR PARTS STORE WEBSITE, vwparts.aircooled.net
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Brian_e
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 22, 2016 3:31 pm    Post subject: Re: Gutless after rebuild Reply with quote

Make sure you are getting 100% full throttle on both carbs.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Flare
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 22, 2016 4:35 pm    Post subject: Re: Gutless after rebuild Reply with quote

Calculated compression ratio is 8:1 but haven't got a compression tester - may have to invest in one.

When i was trying to get it to run properly it was backfiring and just generally running like crap. The plugs are 180 around also. Could i have put the cam in incorrectly - I honestly only found out about the dots on the gears after re-assembly. Used feeler gauges before the engine was pulled apart against a lobe and lifter to get what im using.

Yes, it is a 34 pict 3! i had two laying about and a local guy had an empi manifold to suit for it. I coulnd't find too info much on this combo really.

jets installed:
Idle 55
Main 130 (have two 134 jets and a single 145 to play with)

Sprayed around the manifolds with ether and it dosen't seem to be sucking air. definatly getting full throttle.

The engine seems to rev but it dosen't pull. i was in 3rd gear pushing 50kph

Ill have to check the rockers when i get home from work.
Dale M.
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 22, 2016 6:38 pm    Post subject: Re: Gutless after rebuild Reply with quote

Flare wrote:
Calculated compression ratio is 8:1 but haven't got a compression tester - may have to invest in one.

When i was trying to get it to run properly it was backfiring and just generally running like crap. The plugs are 180 around also. Could i have put the cam in incorrectly - I honestly only found out about the dots on the gears after re-assembly. Used feeler gauges before the engine was pulled apart against a lobe and lifter to get what im using.

Yes, it is a 34 pict 3! i had two laying about and a local guy had an empi manifold to suit for it. I coulnd't find too info much on this combo really.

jets installed:
Idle 55
Main 130 (have two 134 jets and a single 145 to play with)

Sprayed around the manifolds with ether and it dosen't seem to be sucking air. definatly getting full throttle.

The engine seems to rev but it dosen't pull. i was in 3rd gear pushing 50kph

Ill have to check the rockers when i get home from work.

If cam timing is off, its never going to run...This is first thing I would verify....

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Dale

"Kellison Sand Piper Roadster" For Street & Show.
"Joe Pody Sandrover" Buggy with 2180 for Autocross (Sold)
============================================================
All suggestions and advice are purely my own opinion. You are free to ignore them if you wish ...
Flare
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 22, 2016 8:24 pm    Post subject: Re: Gutless after rebuild Reply with quote

Thanks Dale, Starting to restore a little confidence. That's that image I went off to double check the cam when putting it in. If it was 180 wrong would it possibly fire but run badly?
Danwvw
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 22, 2016 8:35 pm    Post subject: Re: Gutless after rebuild Reply with quote

I bet it's the Dual PICT 34's Probably set up way wrong. Best to just get some real carbs for it. That engine would roar dual IDF's or DRLA's
Flare
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 22, 2016 8:40 pm    Post subject: Re: Gutless after rebuild Reply with quote

Defanatly planning on getting some decent carbs in it but the budget dosen't allow at the moment. May just have to bite the bullet and get some if i can't get this running reasonably
Danwvw
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 22, 2016 8:47 pm    Post subject: Re: Gutless after rebuild Reply with quote

you could do dual Dellortos for a lot less. These are a little big but if you put 30mm venturi's in them they would match your build pretty well. Does your engine have oversized intake valves?
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=1925947
mark tucker
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 22, 2016 8:48 pm    Post subject: Re: Gutless after rebuild Reply with quote

so just how bad does a 180 out cam run? mine runs just fine......how exzactly do you get cam 180 out? and what differance does it make ? none. it starten to sound and look like you need to find somebody local that can help you. we can give suggestions but if you do not under stand they do no good. is it running on all 4 cylinders? are the valves adjusted right? is the cam degreed right? off a tooth will still run in most instances.some even more.and depending on witch way it's off. fix it befor it kills it's self.
modok
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 22, 2016 10:57 pm    Post subject: Re: Gutless after rebuild Reply with quote

Flare wrote:

Yes, it is a 34 pict 3! i had two laying about and a local guy had an empi manifold to suit for it.
j

I'd like to see that! Take a picture
It probably isn't a good idea, especially with that cam, but that never stops anybody from trying, and occasionally succeeding.
Lingwendil
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 23, 2016 1:43 am    Post subject: Re: Gutless after rebuild Reply with quote

I want to see too! I love dual stocker setups. I'd love to see which manifolds and linkage it's using. I've toyed with the idea for a while, and had dual 30PICT3s on a 40 horse a while back, that sucker was smooooooth....

I bet the 34PICTs have different flange numbers and are plumbed a bit differentlty internally, or need some jetting help.

Modify your Kadrons for SVDA http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=8115884#8115884

Cast iron VJU4BR8 SVDA reference thread- https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=...mp;start=0

Need replacement filters for original Kadron aircleaners? WIX #42087 is a perfect fit, as is Napa Gold #2087!

Last edited by Lingwendil on Thu Jun 23, 2016 5:48 am; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Flare
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 23, 2016 4:32 am    Post subject: Re: Gutless after rebuild Reply with quote

Thanks a lot for everyone's comments. I spent some time this afternoon reaming the jets and am feeling the engine drastically change for the better. before the jet change it was running a lot rougher than what i actually thought. now it purs without missing.

Ill see if i can get some images for people interested.
mark tucker
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 23, 2016 8:35 am    Post subject: Re: Gutless after rebuild Reply with quote

bore the vents, bigger jets, bigger airs.....then on to some idf's
Patrickvw
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 23, 2016 4:48 pm    Post subject: Re: Gutless after rebuild Reply with quote

What muffler system are you using
mcmscott
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 23, 2016 5:56 pm    Post subject: Re: Gutless after rebuild Reply with quote

Might want to get rid of this dizzy thing and start with a distributor, then figure out how to set timing, You can not br any where acurate with a "dizzy"

68 Ghia
67 T-1
65 Notch
02 Mexican beetle
74 Thing
15 Long travel rail
07 Nomad
05 f-250
Flare
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 28, 2016 8:13 pm    Post subject: Re: Gutless after rebuild Reply with quote

Using a GT style muffler

Haha - MCMScott - Timing makes me feel dizzy /s

Images for anyone interested in the dual carb setup - only took pics of one side. Ignore the messy engine bay and lack of tinware - that's getting worked on.
http://imgur.com/a/Ck2QS

Also to let everyone know after a weekend of tweaking the thing runs like a champ now!
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: