Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Best street head to hit the market in many years
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4 ... 12, 13, 14  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
58 Plastic Tub
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 22, 2016 3:52 pm    Post subject: Re: Best street head to hit the market in many years Reply with quote

Excellent. Most excellent.
modok
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 22, 2016 4:43 pm    Post subject: Re: Best street head to hit the market in many years Reply with quote

jason wrote:
I don't know much about heads but what makes these any better than the Tims heads roughly the same price?

Both the Tims heads and the Panchito were PORTED 043 mexico castings. For a long time, this was the best foundation to use for a small-mid cc engine, but they are NLA.

Tims is using china 043 copies, and CB has managed to get Autolinea to make a 043 like head with design improvements.

I'm not going to say anything BAD about the chinese heads until I see it happen, and besides core shift problems that did sometimes happen, and being thinner, they seem OK. Will they turn to mush or end up full of cracks in the long run we don't know.
Based on what LITTLE I do know about castings, the EMPI heads being "easy to weld", maybe good but it raises a flag right away for me. Aluminum alloy for high temp generally has added copper or nickel, and these make it HARD to weld. so, if it's easy to weld.....did they use the right alloy???

AUTOLINEA has been making aircooled heads for 15+ years, and the castings themselves do hold up very well......generally better than German.
So which would foundation would you rather use?
bugguy1967
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 22, 2016 5:55 pm    Post subject: Re: Best street head to hit the market in many years Reply with quote

And this, if the specs are right: 188 HP? Wow...

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=FfVL9sgMkZo
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
MConstable
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 22, 2016 6:29 pm    Post subject: Re: Best street head to hit the market in many years Reply with quote

Ok...would these heads be suited for a 2110, mild build with 1 1/2" exhaust in a Thing?
Or are they for more rpm, cc's?
303epps
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 22, 2016 6:38 pm    Post subject: Re: Best street head to hit the market in many years Reply with quote

Arrrg, my stage 1s just arrived.
rugblaster
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 22, 2016 7:09 pm    Post subject: Re: Best street head to hit the market in many years Reply with quote

Pat D wrote:
rugblaster wrote:
What does "Panchito" mean?........the only reason I'm asking is we have a Mexican food restaurant here called "Panchitos."

I want some tacos now.....thanks a lot.
That's a really good question. In Spanish, it means "Tuff Guy" The original CNC ported Panchito was based on the Mexican 043 casting. The owner of CB, Rick Tomlinson at the time found a stray cat and called him Panchito. The name fit the head since the casting came from Mexico so it was decided to call the head Los Panchito or "little Tuff Guy"

When I was in junior high and high school, I learned all the Mexican curse words. That word is close to "panocho" which means your"balls" or "nuts" LOL

Your heads are a good value. Back in 1980 or so, I paid $1200 for some big valve, welded heads that probably didn't flow as much as your pendajos. They are like Vortec small block heads that will out flow any camel hump or 2.02 head ever made......out of the box.

VWoA factory trained line tech 75 till 90 or so
ASE Master Certification
VWoA Assoc. of Quality Technicians inductee (One of 25 in the five state southwest region)
La Confrerie des Chevaliers du Tastevin (San Angelo Chapter)
TCU ......GO FROGS!!!!!!
Lingwendil
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 23, 2016 1:33 am    Post subject: Re: Best street head to hit the market in many years Reply with quote

No answer on if they include or work with the tin?

Confused

Modify your Kadrons for SVDA http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=8115884#8115884

Cast iron VJU4BR8 SVDA reference thread- https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=...mp;start=0

Need replacement filters for original Kadron aircleaners? WIX #42087 is a perfect fit, as is Napa Gold #2087!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
ALB
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 23, 2016 6:07 am    Post subject: Re: Best street head to hit the market in many years Reply with quote

Well done, Pat (and CB). Nice to see enough confidence in the hobby/industry that products like this are still being developed.
mcmscott
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 23, 2016 7:40 am    Post subject: Re: Best street head to hit the market in many years Reply with quote

bugguy1967 wrote:
And this, if the specs are right: 188 HP? Wow...

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=FfVL9sgMkZo

I installed this engine in a 59 Binz, also built the trans for it. With the gearing that some consider tall, this thing drove as nice as any modern car but pulled like a train. Cruising at 75-80 mph you could not get it to overheat, this was also using just the stock doghouse cooler.

68 Ghia
67 T-1
65 Notch
02 Mexican beetle
74 Thing
15 Long travel rail
07 Nomad
05 f-250
sled
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 23, 2016 7:46 am    Post subject: Re: Best street head to hit the market in many years Reply with quote

since we are talking a specific engine..

were the heads on that engine worked AT ALL? or were the ports as cast and the valves still 40 x 35.5

if these heads were completely 'stock' I see no reason why 42x37.5 would be necessary for practically any street engine. 188 hp out of 40x35.5 without revving it to pluto is more than enough
Pat D
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 23, 2016 7:54 am    Post subject: Re: Best street head to hit the market in many years Reply with quote

sled wrote:
since we are talking a specific engine..

were the heads on that engine worked AT ALL? or were the ports as cast and the valves still 40 x 35.5

if these heads were completely 'stock' I see no reason why 42x37.5 would be necessary for practically any street engine. 188 hp out of 40x35.5 without revving it to pluto is more than enough
The engine that you ask about had prototype Panchitos that were as cast. The only thing done to them was a larger CNC chamber to help lower the compression.
Pat D
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 23, 2016 8:00 am    Post subject: Re: Best street head to hit the market in many years Reply with quote

Lingwendil wrote:
No answer on if they include or work with the tin?

Confused
Yes they will work
GTV
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 23, 2016 9:24 am    Post subject: Re: Best street head to hit the market in many years Reply with quote

Are matching manifolds available or in the works?
Pat D
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 23, 2016 9:27 am    Post subject: Re: Best street head to hit the market in many years Reply with quote

GTV wrote:
Yes, we are very close on having our offset type-1 manifold finished with the panchito port.
yamaducci
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 23, 2016 9:54 am    Post subject: Re: Best street head to hit the market in many years Reply with quote

Pat D wrote:
GTV wrote:
Yes, we are very close on having our offset type-1 manifold finished with the panchito port.

Adding Sleeved manifold studs for port alignment and matching gaskets would be great. Pat just think about how many hours you wont have to do manual port work! Between the As-cast and the CNC everyone gets power without the pain.
Great job!
My 2498 Turbo Re-Build Thread: http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=5578697#5578697

3rd Brake Light Safety Stars- I still have a couple with blue light left. Email me if interested.
ratsnotmice
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 23, 2016 10:29 am    Post subject: Re: Best street head to hit the market in many years Reply with quote

[email protected] wrote:
vwinnovator wrote:
modok wrote:
Whaaat??
Look at the pictures, it has "panchito 044" cast where the part number usually is Very Happy

That's worth an extra $20 in itself!!!

Man, these are really gonna cut into roy's market...

Actually, knowing how much money, time, effort and testing goes into producing a new cylinder head; I am pretty happy to hear about this. Why? Because if anyone is going to go through that much trouble, the VW aftermarket has to be going very strong. We spent our money to develop our castings almost 20 years ago. Things are more expensive now.

I have 26-30 years until I can retire so I am happy that other companies are spending money on future products.

That is absolutely the best response, Roy. Good for you!
pupjoint
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 23, 2016 5:56 pm    Post subject: Re: Best street head to hit the market in many years Reply with quote

great stuff from CB. good to see more new parts for our old engines.

having said that i just got my Tims Stage 2 or else i would have given these a try.
saw2
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 23, 2016 7:33 pm    Post subject: Re: Best street head to hit the market in many years Reply with quote

Just got a email from CB. Free shipping on any Panchito 044 head this Fri, Sat and Sun. Great time to buy.
jfats808
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 23, 2016 10:34 pm    Post subject: Re: Best street head to hit the market in many years Reply with quote

pupjoint wrote:

having said that i just got my Tims Stage 2 or else i would have given these a try.

Pup I'll buy a set of Panchitos , drop ship to you and trade you for your stage 2s...
Jon

Rockstar Suzuki wrote:

You might as well put 10 year build in your bullshit sig, as it will NEVER run. Also your a dick

You can always learn something new, even from a fool.
Check your oil levels routinely!
vwinnovator
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 24, 2016 7:38 am    Post subject: Re: Best street head to hit the market in many years Reply with quote

jfats808 wrote:
pupjoint wrote:

Pup I'll buy a set of Panchitos , drop ship to you and trade you for your stage 2s...
Jon

I'll trade you my Jon Karcy heads or my pauter "B" heads (by mary) for them (stage 2's) Laughing Laughing
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4 ... 12, 13, 14  Next
Jump to:
Page 3 of 14

Jump to: