Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Trim on fiberglass buggy
Forum Index -> Kit Car/Fiberglass Buggy/356 Replica Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Jim Conner
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 21, 2016 2:37 pm    Post subject: Trim on fiberglass buggy Reply with quote

I see in some of the pictures of fiber glass buggys on The Samba that some have a chrome trim around the edge of the body. Is this trim plastic? Where can I buy some? Regards, Jim
woodoctr
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 21, 2016 3:46 pm    Post subject: Re: Trim on fiberglass buggy Reply with quote

Yeah, it's just a push on decorative molding that has a soft pliable adhesive down inside. I've got about a 1/2 dozen different types which range from black, gold, aluminum look, and lately even carbon fiber. It comes in different sizes as well. I've been using it for over 40 years on various kit builds which involve raw fiberglass edges. I usually just got it when J.C. Whitney had sales however you can find it on the internet just about everywhere now. Here is link to what you are looking for.....
https://www.trimlok.com/cat/Edge-Trim/Browse-All-Products_102.aspx
Again, just shop around and get something that compliments the look of your color/car.
HeidelbergJohn4.0
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 22, 2016 6:32 am    Post subject: Re: Trim on fiberglass buggy Reply with quote

look for door edge molding or fender molding. It's usually easy to find at places like pep boys, Auto Zone, etc. just look for the aisle with all the tacky garbage like crown air fresheners and ain't skeered window stickers, it's usually hidden around there somewhere.

http://www.autozone.com/exterior-dress-up/door-edg...wYmme=true
Machette Speedster
2012 Passat TDI SE (sadly sitting in a buyback parking lot somewhere waiting for it's heart to be ripped out.)
didget69
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 22, 2016 1:23 pm    Post subject: Re: Trim on fiberglass buggy Reply with quote

You'll see it listed as Trim-Loc or Trim-Lock, Jiffy Trim, etc.

http://www.nautiqueparts.com/upholsterytrim-blackjiffytrim.aspx

Acme Car Co. carries an edge trim as well - about halfway down the linked page

http://acmecarco.com/berrien-buggy/fiberglassbuggies/options-and-accessories/body-accessories

JIFFY TRIM

Protect the edge of that body, and yourself from the possible sharp edges! Our jiffy trim is designed to fit snugly along the edges of the body to give that clean, finished look, and will protect your gelcoat edges from unintended chipping. Sold per foot.

*Tank's Tip: If your body is thicker than 3/16" at any point along the edge, you'll need to grind it down a little for the trim to fit properly. You'll also want to round off any sharp corners, because jiffy trim doesn't bend well around tight radiuses.

BLACK p/n: C058-BB334 - $2.25/Foot

CHROME p/n: C058-BB333 - $4.85/Foot

bnc
vanderjw
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 23, 2016 6:12 am    Post subject: Re: Trim on fiberglass buggy Reply with quote

I got aluminum L-shaped edging from West Marine. It looks like this:

http://www.westmarine.com/buy/taco--aluminum-cockp...aQodHPEA3A
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Kit Car/Fiberglass Buggy/356 Replica All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: