Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

A few things Learned Tripping through Banff National Park
Page: 1, 2  Next
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
lemonspeed
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 21, 2016 2:28 pm    Post subject: A few things Learned Tripping through Banff National Park Reply with quote

First of all , if you can find time to do a week in Banff and area ...DO IT !

We had a great time.

Lessons Learned-
1. don't eat out , everything is 25% more
2. check all lug nuts before the journey
3. dont install a light bar on bumper blocking lower radiator
4. be prepared for snow ( yes in june) and bring the lil buddy heater!
5. stay off the trans-canada hwy and explore the secondary roads....amazing
6. if you are staying more than 5 days ( recommended ) be ready to purchase a park pass for 1 year ( 140.00 CAD)
7. pre reserve ALL camping you require

Van ran very well and other than a lug missing and some cooling issues early on. We returned to the kootenays and went straight to davis creek to end off the trip....no matter where i go i always say home still has the best camping around!

More pic found on Instagram @overland_van

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

73 Transporter (sold) "chloe"
80 Vanagon (sold) "brownie"
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
dobryan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 21, 2016 7:36 pm    Post subject: Re: A few things Learned Tripping through Banff National Park Reply with quote

Nice! We had a great time there on our trip last summer. 😀

"To travel hopefully is a better thing than to arrive." Robert Louis Stevenson

MD>Canada>AK>WA>OR>CA>AZ>UT>WY>SD
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=620646

Building a bus for travel in Europe (euroBus)
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=695371

The Western Syncro build
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=746794
61Scout
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 21, 2016 7:43 pm    Post subject: Re: A few things Learned Tripping through Banff National Park Reply with quote

From the title of this thread, I thought it was going to take a whole different direction.

-Kevin
Remove the front spindle nut with ease: https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=679567&highlight=
Remove the rear wheel bearing housing without messing with the big 46mm nut: https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=679507&highlight=

-Nec Spe, Nec Metu
joetiger Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 21, 2016 7:43 pm    Post subject: Re: A few things Learned Tripping through Banff National Park Reply with quote

Headed that way in a couple of weeks, thanks for the tips and great photos.

One question, how do you like the Gowesty front door screens? Good, bad, otherwise?

'86 NAHT Vanagon GL Syncro/ supercharged ABA 2.0 "Pigpen"
'04 GTI 1.8T
'04 Golf R32

"get metaphysical with it. if it's simply a means to get to and from places, it will let you down. if it becomes your zen, it can't fail you." -dabaron

"Still, it's good to be afield."--VWagabond

Available Now! Vanagon to Louisiana--A Two-Lane Reckoning Through Past and Present

www.josephtrussell.com
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Noblecr
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 21, 2016 10:01 pm    Post subject: Re: A few things Learned Tripping through Banff National Park Reply with quote

A national park pass bought this year is good for 2 years.

The icefield parkway us a must if anyone has the time....even just from Banff to Saskatchewan crossing....or take it all the way to Jasper!!

Enjoy your travels...its a beautiful area! !
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
IdahoDoug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 21, 2016 11:45 pm    Post subject: Re: A few things Learned Tripping through Banff National Park Reply with quote

Second the Icefield Parkway to Jasper. When you get there, drop your kayak or canoe in the "no motorized boats" stunner of Lake Maligne and go see the eerie stalagmites reaching up out of the clear dark depths....

Really something up that highway for views. We started joking "Oh look honey, another achingly perfect mountain with green flanks, a hanging blue glacier on top, and a couple trout streams in the meadow below with a Moose eating there." Over and over....
1987 2WD Wolfsburg Vanagon Weekender "Mango", two fully locked 80 Series LandCruisers. 2017 Subaru Outback boxer. 1990 Audi 90 Quattro 20V with rear locking differential, 1990 burgundy parts Vanagon. 1984 Porsche 944, 1988 Toyota Supra 5 speed targa, 2002 BMW 325iX, 1982 Toyota Sunrader
240Gordy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 22, 2016 12:18 am    Post subject: Re: A few things Learned Tripping through Banff National Park Reply with quote

Yes the Icefields Parkway is stunning. See the glaciers before they are gone. Been there at least 30 times, going again on Friday. It never gets old. The traffic sure does though. Maligne Lake is also pretty amazing.
1985 GL now with more! a 2.1L
H&R SPORT(RED) Springs FRONT , SLAM SPECIALTIES RE6 AIRBAGS REAR
lemonspeed
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 22, 2016 9:23 am    Post subject: Re: A few things Learned Tripping through Banff National Park Reply with quote

joetiger wrote:
Headed that way in a couple of weeks, thanks for the tips and great photos.

One question, how do you like the Gowesty front door screens? Good, bad, otherwise?

Be sure to do the Icefield Parkway ( we only hit the lower half ) ::: Ive been super happy with these GOWESTY screens , the tiptop doesn't have any mesh windows so with both open you have the bug security and decent air flow when sleeping!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
dobryan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 22, 2016 9:34 am    Post subject: Re: A few things Learned Tripping through Banff National Park Reply with quote

240Gordy wrote:
Yes the Icefields Parkway is stunning. See the glaciers before they are gone. Been there at least 30 times, going again on Friday. It never gets old. The traffic sure does though. Maligne Lake is also pretty amazing.

It was cloudy and beautiful when we were there last summer.

"To travel hopefully is a better thing than to arrive." Robert Louis Stevenson

MD>Canada>AK>WA>OR>CA>AZ>UT>WY>SD
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=620646

Building a bus for travel in Europe (euroBus)
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=695371

The Western Syncro build
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=746794
bluebus86
Banned

PostPosted: Wed Jun 22, 2016 9:51 am    Post subject: Re: A few things Learned Tripping through Banff National Park Reply with quote

did that park forty years ago in a Microbus. pretty place for sure.

Stop introducing dirt into your oil when adjusting valves ... https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=683022
MidwestDrifter
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 22, 2016 10:04 am    Post subject: Re: A few things Learned Tripping through Banff National Park Reply with quote

It may in fact be the most scenic 150 mile stretch in north america. Very Happy

We drove it at the end of the season a few years back. Last week of September IIRC. It was not very busy and the weather was fantastic. Of course now I want to go back after reading this thread!

Epic Road Tripping since 08/05/12 | http://VagariesAbound.blogspot.com/
My Current Build | http://sprinter-source.com/forum/showthread.php?t=41215

Last edited by MidwestDrifter on Wed Jun 22, 2016 10:59 am; edited 1 time in total
lemonspeed
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 22, 2016 10:39 am    Post subject: Re: A few things Learned Tripping through Banff National Park Reply with quote

It sure could make an amazing meet up / vanagon trip in the future. Truly is the most scenic drive I've done in N. America and some of the best group camping you can find anywhere! The only thing we had wished for was a crew of vans with us to share the experience ....

danfromsyr
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 22, 2016 11:20 am    Post subject: Re: A few things Learned Tripping through Banff National Park Reply with quote

it's easy set a date & location and have some decals made

I'd love to go but being on the east coast and work not allowing the time I'd require myself to be there.. sometime though.. I will explore the west as I have/am the east.. and this looks like a sure thing.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
djkeev
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Jun 22, 2016 3:26 pm    Post subject: Re: A few things Learned Tripping through Banff National Park Reply with quote

I've extensively wandered the lower 48 but never Ventured North into the Western Canadian Territories.... Looks like I missed a real Gem!

Dave

Ghia
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=392473

Vanagon
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=6315537#6315537

Beetle
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=482968&highlight=74+super+vert
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
shadetreetim
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 22, 2016 4:45 pm    Post subject: Re: A few things Learned Tripping through Banff National Park Reply with quote

Looks like an incredible place to wander around. I'll need to put Banff on my bucket list.

Doing my best every time I drive it to dispel the myth these Vanagons have to be slow!

'89 Vanagon Bluestar/Country Homes 1.8T & .77 4th
'74 Jeep CJ5
tjet Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 22, 2016 4:58 pm    Post subject: Re: A few things Learned Tripping through Banff National Park Reply with quote

lemonspeed wrote:
joetiger wrote:

Be sure to do the Icefield Parkway ( we only hit the lower half ) ::: Ive been super happy with these GOWESTY screens , the tiptop doesn't have any mesh windows so with both open you have the bug security and decent air flow when sleeping!

Do you have a link for the screens?

MidwestDrifter wrote:

We drove it at the end of the season a few years back. Last week of September IIRC. It was not very busy and the weather was fantastic. Of course now I want to go back after reading this thread!

thats an awesome pic. I have a new wallpaper now Cool
leathersmyth
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 22, 2016 5:07 pm    Post subject: Re: A few things Learned Tripping through Banff National Park Reply with quote

Have spent Many days/weeks/months exploring the whole area,
It is All beautiful area to explore. Helps only a couple hours from house so not To epic to pack up and head off to explore...
Might be Bias but pretty nice place to hang out.... Smile
lemonspeed
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 24, 2016 5:18 pm    Post subject: Re: A few things Learned Tripping through Banff National Park Reply with quote

tjet wrote:
lemonspeed wrote:
joetiger wrote:

Do you have a link for the screens?

MidwestDrifter wrote:

thats an awesome pic. I have a new wallpaper now Cool

GOWESTY LINK - Pretty happy with these ::http://www.gowesty.com/product-details.php?v=&id=23551
jackbombay
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 24, 2016 5:59 pm    Post subject: Re: A few things Learned Tripping through Banff National Park Reply with quote

MidwestDrifter wrote:

It may well be, stunning by anyone's standards.

I was through there a few weeks ago, some sun, but some clouds and rain too.

Couple pics from the Dolomite trail,

I did also ollie from a national park and landed in a completely different national park! Razz

Gas struts to pop your top easily!

Pop Top strut kits now available for late Bay window Westies Smile

Samba ad here.

DIY artificial rain gutters (ARGs)
jimf909 Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 24, 2016 6:14 pm    Post subject: Re: A few things Learned Tripping through Banff National Park Reply with quote

I just hiked the 9 mi trail from Goat Haunt, Glacier NP USA to Waterton NP Canada and at one point I straddled an international border! Crandell campground in Waterton is beautiful today with a number of vacant sites. Banff tomorrow (pics when there's a better connection).

Abscate wrote:
Do not get killed, do not kill others.

Current: 1990 Westy Camper - Bostig RG4, 2wd, manual trans w/Peloquin, NAHT high-top, 280 ah LFP battery, 160 watts solar, Flash Silver, seam rust, bondo, etc., etc.

Past: 1985 Westy Camper - 1.9 wbx, 2wd, manual trans, Merian Brown, (sold after 17 years to Northwesty who converted it to a Syncro).
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: