Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

The secret build of my wifes first car. 1971 Super Beetle
Page: Previous  1, 2
Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
wcfvw69 Premium Member
Samba Purist

PostPosted: Thu Jun 23, 2016 3:06 pm    Post subject: Re: The secret build of my wifes first car. 1971 Super Beetle Reply with quote

Robert Haas wrote:
TheViking wrote:
congrats! Really beautifull car!

One question? How is the exhaust system working for you? I cant seem to get mine to stop leaking...

yep, same here. We are probably going to have to cut it up and re-weld it. Luckily I am a very good welder and own a very nice TIG

Just be aware the muffler you have there doesn't provide hardly ANY hot exhaust gas flow through the carb pre-heat manifold. It can be troublesome in the summer but even more so in the winter. A stock VW muffler is designed to flow a lot of hot exhaust gas through that manifold to keep the carb from icing up. It also helps the engine's driveability when it's cold.

Just an FYI Very Happy

Decades of VW and VW parts restoration experience.
The Samba member since 2004.

**Now rebuilding throttle bodies for VW's and Porsche's**
**Restored German Bosch distributors for sale or I can restore yours**
**Restored German Pierburg fuel pumps for sale or I can restore yours**
**Restored Porsche fuel pumps or I can restore yours**
**Restored Porsche distributors or I can restore yours**
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Robert Haas
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 23, 2016 4:43 pm    Post subject: Re: The secret build of my wifes first car. 1971 Super Beetle Reply with quote

wcfvw69 wrote:
Robert Haas wrote:
TheViking wrote:
congrats! Really beautifull car!

One question? How is the exhaust system working for you? I cant seem to get mine to stop leaking...

yep, same here. We are probably going to have to cut it up and re-weld it. Luckily I am a very good welder and own a very nice TIG

Just be aware the muffler you have there doesn't provide hardly ANY hot exhaust gas flow through the carb pre-heat manifold. It can be troublesome in the summer but even more so in the winter. A stock VW muffler is designed to flow a lot of hot exhaust gas through that manifold to keep the carb from icing up. It also helps the engine's driveability when it's cold.

Just an FYI Very Happy

The heat risers appear to have the same diam. as the originals, What am I missing?
wcfvw69 Premium Member
Samba Purist

PostPosted: Thu Jun 23, 2016 7:16 pm    Post subject: Re: The secret build of my wifes first car. 1971 Super Beetle Reply with quote

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

The stock VW muffler was designed in such a way as to produce a vacuum or low pressure area that pulled the hot exhaust thru the heat risers. This picture of a stock muffler cut away shows this. Headers or mufflers like yours don't have that vacuum or low pressure to pull large volumes of hot exhaust gas through the carb manifold heat risers. As such, they don't get anywhere near hot enough to do what they are suppose to do, keep the carb from icing and helping the fuel stay atomized down those long intake runners.

If you have a laser temperature gun, point it at your heat risers with that current exhaust on it and see what temp it shows. You also need to insure the heat risers are clear and not clogged up with carbon.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

This picture from Robbie shows how hot it's suppose to get.

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=642924&highlight=heat+risers

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=627243&highlight=heat+risers

Here's a couple of old threads that talks about it.

When I bought my 70 bus, it had a header on it. It was a cold engine pig. It would fall all over itself when first started and take 5 minutes for the driveability to improve. After I pitched the POS header in the garbage, I installed a stock muffler and made sure the heat riser tubes were clear. Night and day difference in cold engine driveability. It improved to perfect when I reinstalled the flaps and thermostat. Now, I can start the dead cold engine and drive right off and it runs perfect.

Decades of VW and VW parts restoration experience.
The Samba member since 2004.

**Now rebuilding throttle bodies for VW's and Porsche's**
**Restored German Bosch distributors for sale or I can restore yours**
**Restored German Pierburg fuel pumps for sale or I can restore yours**
**Restored Porsche fuel pumps or I can restore yours**
**Restored Porsche distributors or I can restore yours**
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Goldbug3318
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 24, 2016 3:26 pm    Post subject: Re: The secret build of my wifes first car. 1971 Super Beetle Reply with quote

GREAT story.....& fabulous car!!!!

Mike

1990 Ford Mustang Coupe
2008 Ford Mustang Coupe
2003 Chevy Corvette
coxbzh
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 29, 2016 5:20 am    Post subject: Re: The secret build of my wifes first car. 1971 Super Beetle Reply with quote

that's a beautiful story

my favorite color, congratulations
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: