Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Used auto linea case
Page: 1, 2  Next
Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Vw1600dellortoGR
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 19, 2016 10:49 am    Post subject: Used auto linea case Reply with quote

Hello everybody, i spotted this case and i would like your opinion about its condition machining judging from how it looks and wear, can it be used for a 1914 engine build even though it was clearanced for a stroker?
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

the2ndcashboy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 19, 2016 11:09 am    Post subject: Re: Used auto linea case Reply with quote

No problem using a clearanced case for a stock stroke crank. Assuming it's clearanced properly, it should add a little to the value. It looks decent, assuming there isn't something ugly under the blob of epoxy in that first picture....

If you get it, don't just assume everything is ok since it was used previously. I'd still check for oil gallery alignment (those haven't been touched, and they're usually off) and the other usual AutoLinea case issues.
If anything comes out perfect it just means your measuring tools are substandard.
FeelthySanchez
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 19, 2016 11:14 am    Post subject: Re: Used auto linea case Reply with quote

Re cond: spotted crack on a #1 stud hole, so needs weld-up & re-tap.
Re 1914: of course it could build this - the 69mm crank doesn't know or care if it's case has had any clearancing done.

Vw1600dellortoGR wrote:
....... i would like your opinion about its condition machining judging from how it looks and wear, can it be used for a 1914 engine build even though it was clearanced for a stroker?

Enough clue..Whats that mean?
OldIronSpine wrote:
I'm not sure how compression works.
Turbos don't produce torque, they produce HP. Instead of torque.
The real problem with NA engines is you don't hear the nice whine of the turbo as it spools up.
Before I commit, I'm going to do more research because I don't really know what piston rings are.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Vw1600dellortoGR
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 19, 2016 11:15 am    Post subject: Re: Used auto linea case Reply with quote

How do the main bearings get aligned to they oil galleys ?
Vw1600dellortoGR
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 19, 2016 11:22 am    Post subject: Re: Used auto linea case Reply with quote

You mean the crack on the bottom left stud? or the one that might be hidden under the epoxy? is this caused by the 94mm cylinders leaving to little material or is the case bad quality? I thought that perhaps it had raised decks to compensate for the larger stroke, which would have to be skimmed .
Vw1600dellortoGR
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 19, 2016 11:30 am    Post subject: Re: Used auto linea case Reply with quote

Does this look like a crack on the left of #1 or a mark from clearancing?
FeelthySanchez
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 19, 2016 11:31 am    Post subject: Re: Used auto linea case Reply with quote

Re: You mean the crack on the bottom left stud?

Yep. The cracked saver'd/10mm stud hole that is directly below epoxy "repair".
Be advised there may be others as well ........
OldIronSpine wrote:
The real problem with NA engines is you don't hear the nice whine of the turbo as it spools up.
Before I commit, I'm going to do more research because I don't really know what piston rings are.

Last edited by FeelthySanchez on Sun Jun 19, 2016 1:23 pm; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
FeelthySanchez
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 19, 2016 11:33 am    Post subject: Re: Used auto linea case Reply with quote

I'd flag this as a likely crack - the pic is pretty good.
Have any dye penetrant?

Vw1600dellortoGR wrote:

OldIronSpine wrote:
the2ndcashboy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 19, 2016 11:34 am    Post subject: Re: Used auto linea case Reply with quote

Vw1600dellortoGR wrote:

Yeah, that looks like a crack too. I think I'd pass on that case. Something evil happened in that area to crack the webbing like that.
If anything comes out perfect it just means your measuring tools are substandard.
FeelthySanchez
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 19, 2016 11:37 am    Post subject: Re: Used auto linea case Reply with quote

Unless you're handy w/ a heliarc, I gotta agree here: 3 def cracks + 1 epoxy "repair" = FLUNK, or else MUCHOS $$
OldIronSpine wrote:
Vw1600dellortoGR
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 19, 2016 2:13 pm    Post subject: Re: Used auto linea case Reply with quote

Is it repairable or will the cracks reform even if welded?
FeelthySanchez
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 19, 2016 2:57 pm    Post subject: Re: Used auto linea case Reply with quote

Adding some clean-up machining costs, & given a good welder/machinist: these 3 crack MAY repair just fine.
Whether they "reform" or not after assy is a good one (roll the dice) Wink

Bottom line: this case is already stroker-clearanced & thus way overkill for a 1914, plus it needs much remedial work.
The right gent w/ welding & machining skills could possibly clean-up here, but for the average guy it's very likely a cash pit.
OldIronSpine wrote:
Vw1600dellortoGR
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 19, 2016 3:08 pm    Post subject: Re: Used auto linea case Reply with quote

Ι am thinking about it because it is about half a price of a new one.
Boolean
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 19, 2016 3:16 pm    Post subject: Re: Used auto linea case Reply with quote

In that shape, it's worth a quarter of the price of a new one.
Vw1600dellortoGR
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 19, 2016 3:20 pm    Post subject: Re: Used auto linea case Reply with quote

So you think it is not worth trying to repair?
the2ndcashboy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 19, 2016 3:21 pm    Post subject: Re: Used auto linea case Reply with quote

A new AL case like that is ~900$ http://vwparts.aircooled.net/Aluminum-Super-Case-85-5-94mm-Bore-Stroke-Relief-p/alsupercase.htm. If that one is 4-500$, then it's not a good deal. It's not going to save you much money total (unless you can weld aluminum). And in the end you'll never really trust the case. With cracking spread out over that large of an area, there's a pretty good chance there is more damage you can't see that's waiting to rear its ugly head.
esde
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 19, 2016 5:16 pm    Post subject: Re: Used auto linea case Reply with quote

While that case may be repairable, it may not be also. Anyone who has welded cast will tell you that sometimes you just can't get it right. It could be a shitty casting to begin with, which might explain the numerous cracks there. If thats the case, a good welder could chase his tail for hours trying to get the porous s casting clean enough to take a good weld. It might be easy, or impossible.
That's the kind of case someone with an AC tig and a mill throws in the corner, for a rainy day when they feel like a challenge. Or they're scrounging for parts for a buddies project. Not the case you buy to save money, unless you're the gambling type..
raul arrese
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 19, 2016 6:23 pm    Post subject: Re: Used auto linea case Reply with quote

I have welded on the autolinea cases , they weld pretty good..
" 2013 Lakeland Classic Best of Show "
" 2014 Show and Shine , First in class "
"
Like my facebook https://www.facebook.com/pages/Raul-Arrese-custom-fabrication-and-performance/1832968110262608
nsracing
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 19, 2016 6:42 pm    Post subject: Re: Used auto linea case Reply with quote

Unless this case is free, and you have a TIG welder is worth repairing if you can handle all the work.

But if you have to spend any dime on it, which I think will be a bunch, just take a pass.

Save your money for something more viable.
Busstom
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 19, 2016 10:13 pm    Post subject: Re: Used auto linea case Reply with quote

Vw1600dellortoGR wrote:
Ι am thinking about it because it is about half a price of a new one.

You should be thinking about it if it's FREE, not half price. That would be a foolish waste of money, don't be that "sucker born every minute" that the seller is praying you are.

Now since you've got half the money, save up the rest and do it right.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: