Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Sanded Through Clear Coat And Other Issues
Page: Previous  1, 2
Forum Index -> Body/Paint Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
NewTechnicIan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 21, 2016 5:15 am    Post subject: Re: Sanded Through Clear Coat And Other Issues Reply with quote

I've also heard that to prevent orange peel or to alleviate it, in the final coat of clear I should mix the clear with more volume of a slow reducer so that the clear lays better between in the valleys and "levels" the clear a bit. Anyone done something like that before? Found that info on a hot rodders forum.

My 1679 Engine build.
NewTechnicIan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 23, 2016 4:50 pm    Post subject: Re: Sanded Through Clear Coat And Other Issues Reply with quote

Hey all, so I'm still hitting some issues with a couple other spots getting close or burning through on the body. Could also be some issues with my bodywork below it Embarassed
So I'm betting it'll be best to respray the body at least. I want to smooth down the clear so I'm ready to spray it nicely, what grit should I use? Like 600 now or stay at 1000? I want to make sure it's not so fine that the base doesn't stick anymore.

And, guilty admission, it's taking forever to sand at 1000 So if I'm gonna spray it all again I might as well go quicker than slower.

Anyway, all help appreciated, thanks!

My 1679 Engine build.
Julio_Arcos123
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 23, 2016 5:03 pm    Post subject: Re: Sanded Through Clear Coat And Other Issues Reply with quote

Yeah people do that in the last coat of clear but these cars are different creatures. Slower reducer lets it staybwet longer so it flows out more but with all these curves the clear wants to sag and run. I wouldnt recommend it on this car.

Paint womt have a problem sticking to 1000 or even 1500. But since its a solid color with the metallic or pearl you could do it 600 or 800.
If youre going to respray the body with basecoat and clear coat do it with 600 if youd like the speed. Youll burn through on some spots but if your going to do the basecoat again it wont matter much since youll add more color on top anyways.
jspbtown
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 23, 2016 6:47 pm    Post subject: Re: Sanded Through Clear Coat And Other Issues Reply with quote

Be sure to use a backing to your paper and not just your hand.

Criss crossing on larger panels is good as well. Everything should look nice and flat (dull)
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Body/Paint All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: