Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Correct pan colour
Forum Index -> Body/Paint Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
viiking
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 19, 2016 4:04 am    Post subject: Correct pan colour Reply with quote

I have a 68 1500 T1 and am looking for the correct colour of the pan for a restoration project

It appears to be a very dark gray. It is definitely not black, Did VW use a specific colour for the pan or just dump all the left over paint and use what was left for the pans?

viiking
ryohey
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 19, 2016 12:05 pm    Post subject: Re: Correct pan colour Reply with quote

L-41 would be the paint code for the pan color
viiking
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 20, 2016 12:34 am    Post subject: Re: Correct pan colour Reply with quote

Unfortunately that is not the colour. The car has been in our family since it was imported from Germany and it has not been touched. Here is a photo out in the sun and a black inspection plate in place as a comparison. And one lousy photo from inside the tunnel. The rusted out pans were the same color under the pan gasket. I'm guessing they painted with whatever close paint was available or am I wrong?

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.
carnut63
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 20, 2016 9:30 pm    Post subject: Re: Correct pan colour Reply with quote

I think that's just a faded/dirty black.

---> Mar 2 1955 Strato Silver Oval <---
---> July 1957 ragtop project <---
---> May 5 1966 Ghia <---
---> 1962 Ruby Red Deluxe (sold)
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger Gallery Classifieds Feedback
EverettB Premium Member
Administrator

PostPosted: Mon Jun 20, 2016 11:23 pm    Post subject: Re: Correct pan colour Reply with quote

Was the pan left outside without a body on it?
I've seen pans that were left outside that looked that color.
As far as I know they were just heavily faded.
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
viiking
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 22, 2016 5:49 am    Post subject: Re: Correct pan colour Reply with quote

The car has been inside for a long time. The pan is definitely a dark gray black as there are other parts like on the back suspension where it is the same colour. The blue gray colour of the underside could be indeed faded colour.

I have not found any references anywhere for the actual colours the factory used for the pan. I have heard some reports that the factory just put all their slops of paint together, roughly colour matched it by adding black and then sprayed all the non visible parts with it.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Body/Paint All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: