Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

New carb and distributor and exhaust and not not running good
Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Tim MacDonald
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 18, 2016 8:33 am    Post subject: New carb and distributor and exhaust and not not running good Reply with quote

I searched the forms last night and could not find anything. I put on a new carb, distributor , coil wires, plugs, and header exhaust with a stinger. The issue I am having is, it starts great, warms up great, idles great but when you accelerate hard you get popping, smacking from the carb, I noticed there is a black residue in the throat of the carb. I have it timed at 7.5 BTDC and tried 10 BTDC , points at .016. valves also set at .006. I can drive at higher RPM but when I shift I will get it but after the rpms get back up it works great. This is the distributor and carb I bought.

https://www.cip1.ca/ProductDetails.asp?ProductCode=C13-98-1288-B

https://www.cip1.ca/ProductDetails.asp?ProductCode=VWC-043-905-205
57 oval project barn find
88 cabriolet
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
flyboy161
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 18, 2016 9:09 am    Post subject: Re: New carb and distributor and exhaust and not not running good Reply with quote

Pull the distributor and check for ANY side to side play in the shaft. Pop the cap and grab the rotor. Hold the dizzy with your other hand and hold it tight. Try and move the shaft side to side. I bought that dizzy and it was worn out of the box.

Hook up a dwell meter and rev the motor. If the dwell changes, that's your problem.

PS: they talked to me about the dizzy at customer service but never got back with me about it. I use a cast iron dizzy remanufacture from Auto Zone and am VERY happy with it

The 1964...Diamond in the rough
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=612776

My 1958 Morocco Bug-
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=611483
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Cusser
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 18, 2016 9:41 am    Post subject: Re: New carb and distributor and exhaust and not not running good Reply with quote

How was it running before all this?

I say that, because if it was me, I would not have installed all at once. Like maybe I would have done the ignition stuff, saw how it ran, then swapped in the carb. You have lots of new stuff at once.
1970 VW (owned since 1972) and 1971 VW Convertible (owned since 1976), second owner of each. The '71 now has the 1835 engine, swapped from the '70. Second owner of each. 1988 Mazda B2200 truck, 1998 Frontier, 2014 Yukon, 2004 Frontier King Cab. All manual transmission except for the Yukon. http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=335294 http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=335297
wcfvw69 Premium Member
Samba Purist

PostPosted: Sat Jun 18, 2016 10:35 am    Post subject: Re: New carb and distributor and exhaust and not not running good Reply with quote

I don't know about CIP-1's marketing there. SVDA's were designed for German Solex 34-3's and have an entirely different vacuum signal than the 30 series carbs. The other issue you have is the quality of those "new" parts is very, very low compared to the original German made parts. These threads are clogged everyday with people struggling with the latest new Chinese carb or distributor.

Since you have these parts already, I'd try pulling the distributor out and reinstalling a known good 009 or vacuum only distributor, if you have them. Time them correctly and road test it.

Decades of VW and VW parts restoration experience.
The Samba member since 2004.

**Now rebuilding throttle bodies for VW's and Porsche's**
**Restored German Bosch distributors for sale or I can restore yours**
**Restored German Pierburg fuel pumps for sale or I can restore yours**
**Restored Porsche fuel pumps or I can restore yours**
**Restored Porsche distributors or I can restore yours**
Sharp64
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 18, 2016 3:26 pm    Post subject: Re: New carb and distributor and exhaust and not not running good Reply with quote

Sad part is, for what you paid for the crappy chinese distributor you could have gotten a rebuilt OG one from TASB which would have been designed to work with that carb.

And for $125 or so could have had you OG 30PICT-1 rebuilt and rebushed by Volksbiz. Less money and better quality.
tasb
The Distributor Distributor

PostPosted: Sat Jun 18, 2016 5:09 pm    Post subject: Re: New carb and distributor and exhaust and not not running good Reply with quote

After reviewing the linked Cip 1 distributor ad I must comment on the fact that its appauling that they state that that distributor will function with either 34 PICT or 30 PICT carburetors.

That's like saying that an english only speaker will have no trouble understanding Mandarins Chinese. Rolling Eyes

1965 hardtop Deluxe Microbus owned since 1990 M 620 factory 12 v 1500cc

1961 (October)Single Cab- Road Trip Workhorse
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
glutamodo Premium Member
The Android

PostPosted: Sat Jun 18, 2016 5:58 pm    Post subject: Re: New carb and distributor and exhaust and not not running good Reply with quote

I've rolled my eyes at those statements on CIP's site many times in the past.

IMAGE NOTE: It has been noted that Chrome based browsers may have issues in displaying my vast image library, which use non-secure links and are on an FTP server. Images should still be viewable if the link is clicked though.
I do not know how to fix this. All I can say is it all works fine for me with what I use, Firefox.
Tim MacDonald
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 18, 2016 6:44 pm    Post subject: Re: New carb and distributor and exhaust and not not running good Reply with quote

Thanks for the help and comments. As long as I run it easy and don't tramp it down it runs decent now
57 oval project barn find
88 cabriolet
flyboy161
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 18, 2016 6:57 pm    Post subject: Re: New carb and distributor and exhaust and not not running good Reply with quote

If that center shaft has any side to side movement, the point gap will change with any of that movement. That's why you see changes in the dwell meter when revving the motor. Factory limit for dwell changes (and thus distributor wear) was like 1.5-2 degrees when the motor is revved.

The one I got form CIP was 5 degrees right out of the box. I was peeved!

The 1964...Diamond in the rough
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=612776

My 1958 Morocco Bug-
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=611483
Glenn Premium Member
Mr. 010

PostPosted: Sat Jun 18, 2016 7:06 pm    Post subject: Re: New carb and distributor and exhaust and not not running good Reply with quote

tasb wrote:
After reviewing the linked Cip 1 distributor ad I must comment on the fact that its appauling that they state that that distributor will function with either 34 PICT or 30 PICT carburetors.

That's like saying that an english only speaker will have no trouble understanding Mandarins Chinese. Rolling Eyes

Tim is 110% correct. The "SVDA" is a copy of the 034 and it was never designed to work with a 30PICT.

There is no "one size fits all".

I've seen these knockoff SVDAs advertised to with every aircooled VW and Porsche.

http://thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=395069

Quote:
The Hot-Spark SVDA 034 distributor fits the following Volkswagen models (12 volt, negative ground only):

Type I - Beetle, Bug 1946-1979

Karmann Ghia, 1956-1974

Thing, Type 181, 1973-1975

Type II: 1950-1979 Bus, Transporter, Station Wagon, Kombi, Westfalia Camper (except 1979 California bus)

Type III - 1962-1973

Type IV (412) 1974

Vanagon 1980-83½, 2.0 liter, air-cooled (except California model)

Most 4-cylinder, air-cooled Porsche with points distributors (except for for early 1970s Bosch D-Jetronic fuel injection)

Models with Bosch L-Jetronic fuel injection: 1975-79 Bus, 1980-83 Vanagon (except 1979-83 California models)

Do they really think it will work on a 49 Split with a 25hp engine?

Member #1009

#BlueSquare
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
wcfvw69 Premium Member
Samba Purist

PostPosted: Sat Jun 18, 2016 7:43 pm    Post subject: Re: New carb and distributor and exhaust and not not running good Reply with quote

Tim MacDonald wrote:
Thanks for the help and comments. As long as I run it easy and don't tramp it down it runs decent now

You really need to search for another distributor. In all likelyhood, that carb is not providing enough vacuum to move the vacuum can enough to fully advance the distributor. It's not going to run correctly and will overheat as well.

I think you'd be miles ahead in buying a rebuilt 113905205K or T vacuum only distributor that's been rebuilt. You can pick up one for $75 in the classifieds on this site.

Decades of VW and VW parts restoration experience.
The Samba member since 2004.

**Now rebuilding throttle bodies for VW's and Porsche's**
**Restored German Bosch distributors for sale or I can restore yours**
**Restored German Pierburg fuel pumps for sale or I can restore yours**
**Restored Porsche fuel pumps or I can restore yours**
**Restored Porsche distributors or I can restore yours**
andk5591
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 19, 2016 5:52 am    Post subject: Re: New carb and distributor and exhaust and not not running good Reply with quote

I would contact CIP1 about returning the distributor. I thought that they had corrected that error a long time ago. I'll shoot them an email.
"John's car" 64 VW woodie - The first ever
Maxine 61 Cal-look bug - Cindy's daily driver.
Max - 73 standard Beetle hearse project - For sale
66 bug project - Real patina & Suby conversion
There's more, but not keeping them...
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
KGPVW
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 28, 2016 1:27 am    Post subject: Re: New carb and distributor and exhaust and not not running good Reply with quote

Here is my advice. By the way I have this distributor. Mine is timed at 32 degrees, thats supposed to be the correct timing for this distributor. The carb and the distributor don't match. The 034 works best with the 34-pict3. However, you might want to just bypass using the vacuum portion of the distributor by plugging it. I am by no means an expert, but I have experience with this distributor.

I have a 34pict 3 and the SVDA. Runs great, idles perfectly with no issue...
You don't need the vacuum portion of the dizzy to get it to run right. based on you having you having the 30 pict carb.The 34 has that flat spot. The 30 not so much from what I hear from posters in the forums.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: